Voting Systems for Environmental Decisions
Article first published online: 14 JAN 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Conservation Biology published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc., on behalf of the Society for Conservation Biology.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 28, Issue 2, pages 322–332, April 2014
How to Cite
BURGMAN, M. A., REGAN, H. M., MAGUIRE, L. A., COLYVAN, M., JUSTUS, J., MARTIN, T. G. and ROTHLEY, K. (2014), Voting Systems for Environmental Decisions. Conservation Biology, 28: 322–332. doi: 10.1111/cobi.12209
- Issue published online: 18 MAR 2014
- Article first published online: 14 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 28 JAN 2013
- National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis (NCEAS)
- NSF. Grant Number: DEB-0553768
- University of California Santa Barbara, and the State of California
- 1983. Efficient, anonymous, and neutral group decisions. Econimetrica 51:1389–1405. , and .
- 1951. Social choice and individual values. Wiley, New York.
- 1958. The theory of committees and elections. Cambridge University Press, London, United Kingdom.
- 2004. Approval voting. In Rowley, C. and F. Schneider (eds.) The encyclopedia of public choice. Kluwer, Dordrecht 344–346. DOI: 10.1007/978-0-306-47828-4_34.
- 2006. Critical strategies under approval voting: who gets ruled in and ruled out. Electoral Studies 25:287–305. , and .
- 2010. Priority water research questions as determined by UK practitioners and policy makers. Science of the Total Environment 409:256–266. , et al.
- 2005. Risks and decisions for conservation and environmental management. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 2011. Redefining expertise and improving ecological judgment. Conservation Letters 4:81–87. , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Vote or shout. The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics 10(1): Article 42. Available from www.bepress.com/bejte/vol10/iss1/art42. , and .
- 2004. An ecological perspective on the valuation of ecosystem services. Biological Conservation 120:549–565.
- 1991. Experts in uncertainty: opinion and subjective probability in science. Oxford University Press, New York.
- 1992. Social choice: a framework for collective decision and individual judgments. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 2010. Bee conservation: evidence for the effects of interventions. Pelagic Publications, Exeter. , , and .
- 1876. A method of taking votes on more than two issues. Reprinted in Black, D. 1958. The theory of committees and elections. Cambridge University Press, London, United Kingdom.
- 2011. Homogeneity and monotonicity of distance-rationalizable voting rules. Pages 821–828 in K. Tumer, P. Yolum, L. Sonenberg, and P. Stone, editors. Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems. Taipei, Taiwan. , , and .
- 1977. Condorcet social choice functions. SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics 33:469–489.
- 1983. Paradoxes of preferential voting. Mathematics Magazine 56:207–214. , and .
- 1986. Decision theory: an introduction to the mathematics of rationality. Ellis Horwood, Chichester, United Kingdom.
- 1983. Condorcet's paradox. Theory and Decision 15:161–197.
- 2005. Prioritizing long-term watershed management strategies using group decision analysis. International Journal of Water Resources Development 21:297–309. , , and .
- 1973. Manipulation of voting schemes: a general result. Econometrica 41:587–601.
- 1997. Voting mechanisms and their implications in a GDSS environment. Annals of Operations Research 71:41–74. , and .
- 2002. Making smarter environmental management decisions. Journal of the American Water Resources Association 38:1601–1612. , and .
- 2001. Evaluating a framework for multi-stakeholder decision support in water resources management. Group Decisions and Negotiation 10:331–353. , , , and .
- 2008. Voting methods in strategic forest planning—experiences from Metsahallitus. Forest Policy and Economics 10:117–127. , , and .
- 2005. The mathematics of voting and elections: a hands-on approach. American Mathematical Society, Providence, RI. , and .
- 1987. Group decision-making: mathematical models. Springer-Verlag, Berlin. , and .
- 1995. Condorcet winners and the paradox of voting: probability calculations for weak preference orders. American Political Science Review 89:137–144. , , , and .
- 2002. Multiple criteria decision support methods in forest management. Pages 37–70 in T. Pukkala, editor. Multi-objective forest management, chapter 3. Kluwer, Netherlands. , and .
- 2006. Social choice theory and its applications in sustainable forest management—a review. Forest Policy and Economics 9:77–92. , , and .
- 1992. Value-focused thinking: a path to creative decision making. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA.
- 1959. Mathematics without numbers. Daedalus 88:577–591.
- 2004. Small group decision making and performance. Annual Review of Psychology 55:623–656. , and .
- 2010. Forest stakeholders’ value preferences in Mount Kilimanjaro, Tanzania. Forest Policy and Economics 12:357–369. , and .
- 1966. A computer simulation of the paradox of voting. American Political Science Review 60:384–390.
- 2005. Evaluation of the multicriteria approval method for timber-harvesting group decision support. Silva Fenn 39:249–264. , , , and .
- 2010. What factors affect the decision making process when setting TACs?: The case of Chilean fisheries. Marine Policy 34:1183–1195. , , and .
- 2008. The welfare consequences of strategic behaviour under approval and plurality voting. European Journal of Political Economy 24:688–704.
- 2003. Voting rules, manipulability and social homogeneity. Public Choice 116:165–184. , and .
- 2010. The conservation of Acacia with Acacia penninervis as conserved type. Taxon 59:613–616. , and .
- 2004. What can decision analysis do for invasive species management? Risk Analysis 24:859–868.
- 2006. Characterizing species at risk II: Using Bayesian Belief Networks as decision support tools to determine species conservation categories under the Northwest Forest Plan. Ecology and Society:11:12. Available from http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol11/iss2/art12/ , , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Evaluating multi-stakeholder perceptions of project impacts: a participatory value based multi-criteria approach. International Journal of Sustainable Development and World Ecology 16:177–190. , and .
- 1990. Uncertainty: a guide to dealing with uncertainty in quantitative risk and policy analysis. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , and .
- 2009. The big ecological questions inhibiting effective environmental management in Australia. Austral Ecology 34:1–9. , et al.
- 1883. Methods of election. Transactions and Proceedings of the Royal Society of Victoria 19:197–240.
- 2012. On the relevance of theoretical results to voting system choice. Pages 255–274 in D.S. Felsenthal, and M. Machover, editors. Electoral systems. Studies in choice and welfare, chapter 10. Springer, Berlin.
- 2007. Engaging expert peers in the development of risk assessments. Risk Analysis 27:1609–1621. , , , and .
- 2010. Voting power and target-based site prioritization. Biological Conservation 143:1989–1997. , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Gaming the vote: why elections aren't fair (and what we can do about it). Hill and Wang, New York.
- 1981. A comparative analysis of social choice functions IV. Behavioral Science 26:346–353.
- 1982. Liberalism against Populism: a confrontation between the theory of democracy and the theory of social choice. W. H. Freeman, San Francisco.
- 2001. Arrow's theorem, indeterminacy, and multiplicity reconsidered. Ethics 111:706–734.
- 2001. Decisions and elections: explaining the unexpected. University of Cambridge Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom.
- 1980. The analytic hierarchy process. McGraw Hill, New York.
- 1975. Strategy proofness and Arrow's conditions. Journal of Economic Theory 10:187–217.
- 1999. The possibility of social choice. American Economic Review 89:349–378.
- 1999. Trust, emotion, sex, politics, and science: surveying the risk-assessment battlefield. Risk Analysis 19:689–701.
- 2009. One hundred questions of importance to the conservation of global biological diversity. Conservation Biology 23:557–567. et al.
- 2000. Unlikelihood of Condorcet's paradox in a large society. Social Welfare and Choice 17:337–365.
- 1995. Mathematics and politics: strategy, voting, power and proof. Springer-Verlag, New York.
- 2010. Special interest capture of regulatory agencies: a ten-year analysis of voting behavior on regional fishery management councils. Policy Studies Journal 38:447–464. , , and .
- 2006. Public choice of species for the ‘Ark’: Phylogenetic similarity and preferred wildlife species for survival. Journal for Nature Conservation 14:97–105. , , and .
- 2012. Negotiation analysis for mechanisms to deliver ecosystem services: The case of soil conservation in Costa Rica. Ecological Economics 75:22–31. , , and .
- 2006. The greening of the Queensland electorate? Australian Journal of Political Science 41:325–337.
- 2010. Environmental decision making with conflicting social groups: a case study of the Lar rangeland in Iran. Journal of Arid Environments 74:394–402. , , , and .