Quantifying Preferences for the Natural World Using Monetary and Nonmonetary Assessments of Value
Article first published online: 26 DEC 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Conservation Biology published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc., on behalf of the Society for Conservation Biology.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 28, Issue 2, pages 404–413, April 2014
How to Cite
DALLIMER, M., TINCH, D., HANLEY, N., IRVINE, K. N., ROUQUETTE, J. R., WARREN, P. H., MALTBY, L., GASTON, K. J. and ARMSWORTH, P. R. (2014), Quantifying Preferences for the Natural World Using Monetary and Nonmonetary Assessments of Value. Conservation Biology, 28: 404–413. doi: 10.1111/cobi.12215
- Issue published online: 18 MAR 2014
- Article first published online: 26 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 28 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 29 JAN 2013
- EU-FP7 Marie Curie Fellowship. Grant Number: 273547
- 1998. Stated preference approaches for measuring passive use values: choice experiments and contingent valuation. American Journal of Agricultural Economics 80:64–75. , , , and .
- 1997. Perceptions versus objective measures of environmental quality in combined revealed and stated preference models of environmental valuation. Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 32:65–84. , , , , and .
- 2006. Incommensurability and monetary valuation. Land Economics 82:141–161.
- 1992. Place attachment: human behavior and environment. Plenum Press, New York. , and .
- 2002. Economic valuation with stated preference techniques: a manual. Edward Elgar, Northampton, Massachusetts. , et al.
- 2008. The cognitive benefits of interacting with nature. Psychological Science 19:1207–1212.Direct Link:, , and .
- 2004. Well-being over time in Britain and the USA. Journal of Public Economics 88:1359–1386. , and .
- 2010. A systematic review of evidence for the added benefits to health of exposure to natural environments. BMC Public Health 10:456. , , , and .
- 2011. The seven impediments in invertebrate conservation and how to overcome them. Biological Conservation 144:2647–2655. , , , and .
- CEC. 2009. GDP and beyond. European Commission, Brussels.
- 2006. Valuing the diversity of biodiversity. Ecological Economics 58:304–317. , , , , , and .
- 2008. The causes of order effects in contingent valuation surveys: An experimental investigation. Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 56:195–206. , and .
- CMEPSP. 2009. Report of the commission on the measurement of economic performance and social progress. CMEPSP, Paris.
- 2012. Biodiversity and the feel-good factor: understanding associations between self-reported human well-being and species richness. BioScience 62:47–55. , , , , , , , , and .
- 1977. The need for a new medical model – a challenge for biomedicine. Science 196:129–136.
- 2007. Psychological benefits of greenspace increase with biodiversity. Biology Letters 3:390–394. , , , , and .
- 2011. Can ecosystem properties be fully translated into service values? An economic valuation of aquatic plant services. Ecological Applications 21:3083–3103. , , , and .
- 2009. Pricing nature: cost-benefit analysis and environmental policy. Edward Elgar, Cheltenham. , and .
- 2006. Estimating the economic value of improvements in river ecology using choice experiments: an application to the water framework directive. Journal of Environmental Management 78:183. , , and .
- 2000. Cultural and developmental comparisons of landscape perceptions and preferences. Environment and Behavior 32:323–346. , , , and .
- 2009. Are there income effects on global willingness to pay for biodiversity conservation? Environmental and Resource Economics 43:137–160. , and .
- 2005. Experienced utility as a standard of policy evaluation. Environmental and Resource Economics 32:161–181. , and .
- 1989. The experience of nature: a psychological perspective. Cambridge University Press, New York. , and .
- 2009. Preferences for riparian buffers. Landscape and Urban Planning 91:88–96. , , and .
- 2010. The economics of ecosystems and biodiversity: ecological and economic foundations. Earthscan, London and Washington.
- 2001. Coping with poverty – impacts of environment and attention in the inner city. Environment and Behavior 33:5–34.
- 1966. New approach to consumer theory. Journal of Political Economy 74:132–157.
- 2010. Valuing ecosystem services. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 1185:54–78. , , , and .
- 2008. Economic valuation of biodiversity conservation: the meaning of numbers. Conservation Biology 22:624–635. , , and .
- MEA. 2005. Ecosystems and human well-being: biodiversity synthesis. World Resources Institute, Washington, D.C.
- 2008. Global mapping of ecosystem services and conservation priorities. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 105:9495–9500. , , , , , , , and .
- 2001. Economic valuation of biodiversity: Sense or nonsense? Ecological Economics 39:203–222. , and .
- ONS. 2012a. Families and households 2001 to 2011. Office for National Statistics, London.
- ONS. 2012b. Initial findings from the consultation on proposed domains and measures of national well-being. Office for National Statistics, London.
- 2006. Public attitudes towards naturalistic versus designed landscapes in the city of Sheffield (UK). Landscape And Urban Planning 74:139–157. , and .
- 1983. Place-identity: physical world socialization of the self. Journal of Environmental Psychology 3:57–83. , , and .
- 1974. Hedonic prices and implicit markets – product differentiation in pure competition. Journal of Political Economy 82:34–55.
- 2009. Biodiversity conservation and the millennium development goals. Science 325:1502–1503. , et al.
- 2010. Precisely incorrect? Monetising the value of ecosystem services. Ecological Complexity 7:327–337. , and .
- 2006. Transferring environmental value estimates: issues and alternatives. Ecological Economics 60:379–388. , and .
- 2001. Using multivariate statistics. Harper Collins, London. , and .
- UKNEA. 2011. The UK national ecosystem assessment: technical report. UNEP-WCMC, Cambridge, United Kingdom.
- United States Environment Protection Agency. 2009. Valuing the protection of ecological systems and services. A Report of the EPA Science Advisory Board. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, D.C.
- 2008. Incorporating resilience in the assessment of inclusive wealth: an example from South East Australia. Discussion Paper 209. Beijer Institute. Available from www.beijer.kva.se. , , , , , , and .
- 2012. More green space is linked to less stress in deprived communities: evidence from salivary cortisol patterns. Landscape And Urban Planning 105:221–229. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Businesses and biodiversity: they would say that. Nature 466:435. , , and .
- 2008. Qualitative valuation of environmental criteria through a group consensus based on stochastic dominance. Ecological Economics 67:253–264. , , , and .