Conservation Practice and Policy
Optimism and Challenge for Science-Based Conservation of Migratory Species in and out of U.S. National Parks
Article first published online: 8 JAN 2014
© 2014 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 28, Issue 1, pages 4–12, February 2014
How to Cite
BERGER, J., CAIN, S. L., CHENG, E., DRATCH, P., ELLISON, K., FRANCIS, J., FROST, H. C., GENDE, S., GROVES, C., KARESH, W. A., LESLIE, E., MACHLIS, G., MEDELLIN, R. A., NOSS, R. F., REDFORD, K. H., SOUKUP, M., WILCOVE, D. and ZACK, S. (2014), Optimism and Challenge for Science-Based Conservation of Migratory Species in and out of U.S. National Parks. Conservation Biology, 28: 4–12. doi: 10.1111/cobi.12235
- Issue published online: 28 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 8 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Received: 29 MAY 2012
- U.S. National Park Service
- University of Montana
- Wildlife Conservation Society
- 2011. Landscape conservation cooperatives: a science-based network in support of conservation. The Wildlife Professional 5:32–37.
- 2003. Is it acceptable to let a species go extinct in a national park? Conservation Biology 17:1451–1454.
- 2004. The longest mile: how to sustain long distance migration in mammals. Conservation Biology 18:320–332.
- 2006. Connecting the dots: an invariant migration corridor links the Holocene to the present. Biology Letters 2:528–531. , , and .
- 2006. Climate change and population declines in a long-distance migratory bird. Nature 441:81–83. , , , and .
- 1995. Understanding and misunderstanding the migration of the monarch butterfly (Nymphalidae) in North America: 1857–1995. Journal of the Lepidopterists’ Society 49:304–385.
- CNRA. 2008. Consolidated Natural Resources Act. Available from http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-110publ229/html/PLAW-110publ229.htm (accessed September 22 2013).
- 2010. A narrow path for pronghorns. Bioscience 60:480.
- 1999. Kittlitz's Murrelet. In A. Poole and F. Gill, editors. The birds of North America, no. 435. The Birds of North America, Inc., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. , , and .
- 2007. What is migration? BioScience 57:135–143. and .
- 2009. Monitoring the condition of natural resources in U.S. national parks. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 151:161–174. , , and .
- 2002. Pacific salmon in aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems. BioScience 52:917–928. , , , and .
- 1893. The Yellowstone Park as a game reservation. Forest and Stream Publishing Company, New York, New York.
- 2011. The slow migration from science to policy: Protecting wildlife corridors is still more theory than practice. High Country News. Available from http://www.hcn.org/issues/43.22/protecting-wildlife-corridors-remains-more-theory-than-practice/article_view?b_start:int=0 (accessed January 22, 2013).
- 2009. Global decline in aggregated migrations of large terrestrial mammals. Endangered Species Research 7:55–76. , , , , and .
- 1996. Disease in metapopulation models: implications for conservation. Ecology 77:1617–1632.
- 2006. Corridor ecology: the science and practice of linking landscapes for biodiversity conservation. Island Press, Washington, D.C. , , and .
- 1913. Our vanishing wildlife. New York Zoological Society, Bronx, New York.
- 2003. Timing of autumn bird migration under climate change: advances in long-distance migrants, delays in short-distance migrants. Proceedings of the Royal Society London B Biological Sciences 270:1467–1471. and .
- 2005. The human-animal link. Foreign Affairs 8:8–50. and .
- 2010. The national park system: visions for tomorrow. Natural Resources Journal 50:71–110.
- 2007. Understanding abundance patterns of a declining seabird: implications for monitoring. Ecological Applications 17:2164–2174. , , , , and .
- 2011. Abundance and distribution of Kittlitz's Murrelets in southeastern Alaska. Marine Ornithology 39:3–11. , , , , , , , and .
- Management Policies. 2006. U.S. Department of Interior. U.S. Government Printing Office ISBN 0-16-076874-8, Washington, D.C.
- 2009. Conservacion de especies migratorias y poblaciones transfronterizas, en capital natural de México, vol. II: Estado de conservación y tendencias de cambio. Conabio, Mexico, 459–515 pp. , , , , , , and .
- Moilanen, A., H. P. Possingham, and K. Wilson, editors. 2009. Spatial conservation prioritization: quantitative methods and computational tools. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- National Park Service Organic Act. 1916. 16 U.S.C. l 2 3. Available from http://www.nps.gov/legacy/organic-act.htm (accessed July 2011).
- National Park System Advisory Board (NPSAB). 2012. Revisiting Leopold: resource stewardship in the national parks. Available from http://www.nps.gov/calltoaction/PDF/LeopoldReport_2012.pdf (accessed October 2012).
- National Park Service – NPS Stats National Park Service Visitor Use Statistics. 2013. Available fromhttps://irma.nps.gov/Stats/SSRSReports/System%20Wide%20Reports/Summary%20Report%20%28Multiple%20Years%29 (accessed June 2013).
- 1995. Extinction of mammal populations in western North American national parks. Conservation Biology 9:512–526.
- North American Bird Conservation Initiative (NABCI). 2009. The state of the birds. U.S. Department of Interior, Washington, D.C. 36 p.
- 1997. Wolves, bears, and their prey in Alaska: biological and social challenges in wildlife management. National Academy Press, Washington, D.C. , et al.
- 2009. Carrying capacity, migration, and dispersal in Yellowstone bison. Biological Conservation 142:2377–2387. , , , and .
- 2010. National parks; the American experience. Fourth edition. Rowman & Littlefield, Lanham, Maryland.
- 2012. Tibet wild. Island Press, Washington, D.C.
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. 2005. Candidate and listing priority assignment form for Kittlitz's Murrelet. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Migratory Bird Management, Anchorage, Alaska.
- 2003. Population status of Kittlitz's and Marbled Murrelets, and surveys for other marine bird and mammal species in the Kenai Fjords Area, Alaska. Science Support Program/Species at Risk Annual Report for USFWS, USGS, Anchorage, Alaska. and .
- 2008. No way home: the decline of the world's great animal migrations. Island Press, Covello, California.