Importance of Baseline Specification in Evaluating Conservation Interventions and Achieving No Net Loss of Biodiversity
Version of Record online: 13 FEB 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Conservation Biology published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc. on behalf of Society for Conservation Biology.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 28, Issue 3, pages 799–809, June 2014
How to Cite
BULL, J. W., GORDON, A., LAW, E. A., SUTTLE, K. B. and MILNER-GULLAND, E. J. (2014), Importance of Baseline Specification in Evaluating Conservation Interventions and Achieving No Net Loss of Biodiversity. Conservation Biology, 28: 799–809. doi: 10.1111/cobi.12243
- Issue online: 14 MAY 2014
- Version of Record online: 13 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Received: 18 APR 2013
- 2008. Measuring the effectiveness of protected area networks in reducing deforestation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 105:16089–16094. , , , , and .
- 2012. Past imperfect: using historical ecology and baseline data for conservation and restoration projects in North America. Environmental Philosophy 9:49–70. , , and .
- 2008. REDD models and baselines. International Forestry Review 10: 465–475.
- 2010. The biodiversity bank cannot be a lending bank. Conservation Letters 3:151–158. , , , , , , and .
- 2013. Biodiversity offsets in theory and practice. Oryx 47:369–380. , , , , and .
- eftec. 2010. The use of market-based instruments for biodiversity protection—the case of habitat banking. Technical report to the European Commission. Eftec, London.
- 2006. Money for nothing? A call for empirical evaluation of biodiversity conservation investments. PLoS Biology 4:482–488. , and .
- 2007. Offsets for land clearing: No net loss or the tail wagging the dog? Environmental Management and Restoration 8:26–31. , and .
- 2011. Assessing the impacts of biodiversity offset policies. Environmental Modelling and Software 144:558–566. , , , , and .
- 2011. Raising the bar for systematic conservation planning. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 26:634–640. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Quantification of extinction risk: IUCN's system for classifying threatened species. Conservation Biology 22:1424–1442. , , , , , , , and .
- 2011. State of biodiversity markets report: offset and compensation programs worldwide. Forest Trends, Washington D.C. , , , .
- 2012. Faustian bargains? Restoration realities in the context of biodiversity offset policies. Biological Conservation 155:141–148. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2009. True conservation progress. Science 323:43–44. , et al.
- 2010. Policy development for biodiversity offsets: a review of offset frameworks. Environmental Management 45:165–176. , and .
- 2007. The Aral Sea disaster. Annual Review of Earth and Planetary Sciences 35:47–72.
- 2009. How much compensation is enough? A framework for incorporating uncertainty and time discounting when calculating offset ratios for impacted habitat. Restoration Ecology 17:470–478. , , , and .
- 2009. Priority research areas for ecosystem services in a changing world. Journal of Applied Ecology 46:1139–1144. , et al.
- 2003. Assessing the quality of native vegetation: the habitat hectares approach. Ecological Management and Restoration 4:S29-S38. , , and .
- 1995. Anecdotes and the shifting baseline syndrome of fisheries. Trends in Ecology Evolution 10:430.
- 2012. Methods for allocation of habitat management, maintenance, restoration and offsetting, when conservation actions have uncertain consequences. Journal of Applied Ecology 153:41–50. , , and .
- 2012. Assessing ecological equivalence in biodiversity offset schemes: key issues and solutions. Biological Conservation 144:2991–2999. , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2012. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. Available from http://www.R-project.org/.(accessed June 25, 2012).
- 2002. A taxonomy and treatment of uncertainty for ecology and conservation biology. Ecological Applications 12:618–628. , , and .
- TEEB (The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity). 2010. Summary report for policy makers. Available from www.teebweb.org (accessed November 30, 2009).
- UN (United Nations). 1998. Kyoto protocol to the United Nations framework convention on climate change. Available from http://unfccc.int/resource/docs/convkp/kpeng.pdf (accessed June 25, 2012).
- 2007. Will agri-environment schemes deliver substantial biodiversity gain, and if not why not? Journal of Applied Ecology 44:1–5.