Effects of Wind Energy Development on Nesting Ecology of Greater Prairie-Chickens in Fragmented Grasslands
Version of Record online: 14 MAR 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Conservation Biology published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc. on behalf of Society for Conservation Biology.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
Volume 28, Issue 4, pages 1089–1099, August 2014
How to Cite
MCNEW, L. B., HUNT, L. M., GREGORY, A. J., WISELY, S. M. and SANDERCOCK, B. K. (2014), Effects of Wind Energy Development on Nesting Ecology of Greater Prairie-Chickens in Fragmented Grasslands. Conservation Biology, 28: 1089–1099. doi: 10.1111/cobi.12258
- Issue online: 22 JUL 2014
- Version of Record online: 14 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Received: 24 APR 2013
- National Wind Coordinating Collaborative
- 1999. Studying wind energy/bird interactions: a guidance document. National Wind Coordinating Committee, Washington, D.C. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Uninformative parameters and model selection using Akaike's Information Criterion. Journal of Wildlife Management 74:1175–1178.
- 2011. Demography of female Greater Prairie-Chickens in unfragmented grasslands in Kansas. Avian Conservation and Ecology-Écologie et Conservation des Oiseaux 6(1):2. , and .
- 2012. lme4: linear mixed-effects models using S4 classes. R package version 0.999999-0. Available from http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=lme4 (accessed October 2012). , , and .
- 2012. Geospatial Modelling Environment. Version 0.7.2.1, software. URL: http://www.spatialecology.com/gme.
- 2012. Experimental evidence for effects of chronic anthropogenic noise on abundance of Greater Sage-Grouse at leks. Conservation Biology 26:461–471. , , and .
- 2004. Responses of nesting Bobolinks (Dolichonyx oryzivorus) to habitat edges. Auk 121:767–776. , and .
- 2002. Evaluating resource selection functions. Ecological Modelling 157:281–300. , , , and .
- 2002. Model selection and multimodel inference: a practical information theoretic approach. Second edition. Springer-Verlag, New York. , and .
- 2002. Nest predators and fragmentation: a review and meta-analysis. Conservation Biology 16:306–318. , , and .
- 2001. Avian response to landscape change in fragmented southern great plains grasslands. Ecological Applications 11:47–59. , , , and .
- 2005. Statistics: an introduction using R. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, United Kingdom.
- 2002. Advanced techniques for modeling avian nest survival. Ecology 83:3476–3488. , , and .
- 2008. Greater Sage-Grouse winter habitat selection and energy development. Journal of Wildlife Management 72:187–195. , , , and .
- 2005. The relationship between habitat characteristics and demographic performance of Northern Spotted Owls in southern Oregon. Condor 107:863–878. , , , and .
- 2001. Avian collisions with wind turbines: a summary of existing studies and comparisons to other sources of avian collision mortality in the United States. Resource document. National Wind Coordinating Committee, Washington, D.C. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Climate, habitat quality, and fitness in Northern Spotted Owl populations in northwestern California. Ecological Monographs 70:539–590. , , , and .
- 2011. Hierarchical modeling of lek habitats of Greater Prairie-Chickens. Pages 21–32 in B. K. Sandercock, K. Martin, and G. Segelbacher, editors. Ecology, conservation, and management of grouse. University of California Press, Berkeley. , , , , and .
- 2010. Yearling Greater Sage-Grouse response to energy development in Wyoming. Journal of Wildlife Management 74:65–72. , , and .
- 1997. Changes in breeding bird populations in North Dakota: 1967 to 1992–93. Auk 114:74–92. , and .
- 2006. Resource selection functions based on use-availability data: theoretical motivation and evaluation methods. Journal of Wildlife Management 70:347–357. , , , , and .
- 2011. Wind power and biofuels: a green dilemma for wildlife conservation. Pages 131–155 in D. E. Naugle, editor. Energy development and wildlife conservation in western North America. Island Press, Washington, D.C. , and .
- 2011. Greater Prairie-Chicken (Tympanuchus cupido), The Birds of North America Online (A. Poole, Ed.). Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Ithaca, New York. Available from http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/036 (accessed November 2012). , , and .
- 2002. Predator activity related to landscape features in northern Iowa. Journal of Wildlife Management 66:1224–1234. , and .
- 2007. Wind energy development and wildlife conservation: challenges and opportunities. Journal of Wildlife Management 71:2487–2498. , , , , and .
- 2001. Resource selection by animals: statistical design and analysis for field studies. Kluwer Academic, Boston. , , , , and .
- 2013. Spatial heterogeneity in habitat selection: nest site selection by prairie-chickens. Journal of Wildlife Management 77:791–801. , , and .
- 2011. Reproductive biology of a southern population of Greater Prairie-Chickens. Pages 209–221 in B. K. Sandercock, K. Martin, and G. Segelbacher, editors. Ecology, conservation, and management of grouse. University of California Press, Berkeley. , , , and .
- 2012a. Demography of Greater Prairie-Chickens: regional variation in vital rates, sensitivity values, and population dynamics. Journal of Wildlife Management 76:987–1000. , , , and .
- 2012b. Effects of rangeland management on the site occupancy dynamics of prairie-chickens in a protected prairie preserve. Journal of Wildlife Management 76:38–47. , , and .
- 2011. Development by design: mitigating wind development's impacts on wildlife in Kansas. PLoS One 6 DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0026698. , , , , and .
- 1999. Population status of North American grassland birds from the North American Breeding Bird Survey, 1966–1996. Studies in Avian Biology 19:27–44. , and .
- 2005. Location and success of Lesser Prairie-Chicken nests in relation to vegetation and human disturbance. Journal of Wildlife Management 69:1259–1269. , , , , and .
- 2005. Use of radio-telemetry to reduce bias in nest searching. Journal of Field Ornithology 76:274–278. , , , and .
- 2009a. Avoidance behavior by prairie grouse: implications for development of wind energy. Conservation Biology 23:1253–1259. , , and .
- 2009b. It's not easy being green: wind energy and a declining grassland bird. BioScience 59:257–262. , , and .
- 2002. Major negative impacts of early intensive cattle stocking on tallgrass prairies: the case of the Greater Prairie-Chicken (Tympanuchus cupido). North American Birds 56:239–244. , , and .
- 1970. Greater Prairie-Chicken ranges, movements, and habitat usage in Kansas. Journal of Wildlife Management 34:286–306. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Status and management of the Greater Prairie-Chicken Tympanuchus cupido pinnatus in North America. Wildlife Biology 6:277–284. , , , , and .
- 2002. Behavioral responses of bobcats and coyotes to habitat fragmentation and corridors in an urban environment. Biological Conservation 108:299–306. , , and .
- 2007. Greater Sage-Grouse population response to energy development and habitat loss. Journal of Wildlife Management 71:2644–2654. , , and .
- 2006. The Kansas satellite image database 2004–2005: Landsat thematic map imagery final report. University of Kansas, Lawrence. , , , and .
- 1999. Program MARK: survival estimation from populations of marked animals. Bird Study 46:S120–S139. , and .
- 2000. Evidence for edge effects on multiple levels in tallgrass prairie. Condor 102:256–266. , , and .
- 1997. Sensitivity analysis to guide population recovery: prairie-chicken as an example. Journal of Wildlife Management 61:302–312. , and .
- 2008. Remaining large grasslands may not be sufficient to prevent grassland bird declines. Biological Conservation 141:3152–3167. , , and .
- 2006. Generalized additive models: an introduction with R. Chapman & Hall, London.
- 2009. Multiscale habitat selection by Ruffed Grouse at low population densities. Condor 111:294–304. , , , and .