Estimating Climate Resilience for Conservation across Geophysical Settings
Article first published online: 27 MAR 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Conservation Biology published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc., on behalf of the Society for Conservation Biology.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Volume 28, Issue 4, pages 959–970, August 2014
How to Cite
ANDERSON, M. G., CLARK, M. and SHELDON, A. O. (2014), Estimating Climate Resilience for Conservation across Geophysical Settings. Conservation Biology, 28: 959–970. doi: 10.1111/cobi.12272
- Issue published online: 22 JUL 2014
- Article first published online: 27 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Received: 13 FEB 2013
- 2010. The geography of climate change: implications for conservation biogeography. Diversity and Distributions 16:476–487. , , , , , , and .
- 2012. Resilient sites for terrestrial conservation in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic Region. The Nature Conservancy, Boston, Massachusetts. , , and .
- 2010. Conserving the stage: climate change and the geophysical underpinnings of species diversity. PLoS ONE 5(7):E11554. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0011554 , and .
- 2011. Conservation status of fish, wildlife and natural habitats in the northeast landscape: implementation of the northeast monitoring framework. The Nature Conservancy, Boston. Available from https://www.conservationgateway.org/ConservationByGeography/NorthAmerica/UnitedStates/edc/reportsdata/stateofnature/Pages/default.aspx. , and .
- 2010. Use of land facets to plan for climate change: conserving the arenas, not the actors. Conservation Biology 24:701–710. , and .
- 2007. A resistant-kernel model of connectivity for amphibians that breed in vernal pools. Conservation Biology 21:788–799. , , , and .
- 1977. The nine unit land-surface model: an approach to geomorphic research. Geoderma 18:1–154. , and .
- 2010. A climatic basis for microrefugia: the influence of terrain on climate. Global Change Biology DOI:10.1111/j.1365-2486.2010.02263x
- 1996. Environmental diversity: on the best-possible use of surrogate data for assessing the relative biodiversity of sets of areas. Biodiversity and Conservation 5:399–415. , and .
- 1996. A cognitively based approach for hydro-geomorphic land classification using digital terrain models. In 3rd International Conference on Integrating GIS and Environmental Modeling. National Centre for Geographic Information and Analysis, Santa Barbara, California. CD-ROM. , and .
- 2007. The national elevation dataset. Pages 99–118 in D. Maune, editor. Digital elevation model technologies and applications: the DEM users manual. 2nd edition. American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, Bethesda, Maryland.
- 2003. Drafting a conservation blueprint: a practitioners guide to planning for biodiversity. Island Press, Washington, D.C.
- 2000. Ecological resilience–in theory and application. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 31:425–439.
- 2009. Biodiversity management in the face of climate change: a review of 22 years of recommendations. Biological Conservation 142:14–32. , and .
- 1988. Paleoecology and the coarse-filter approach to maintaining biological diversity. Conservation Biology 2:375–385. , , and .
- 1995. Ecological units of the eastern United States – first approximation (CD-Rom). U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Atlanta, Georgia. , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Ecological connectivity for a changing climate. Conservation Biology 24(6):1686–1689. , , , and .
- 2009. The velocity of climate change. Nature 462:1052–1055. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Disregarding topographical heterogeneity biases species turnover assessments based on bioclimatic models. Global Change Biology 14(3):483–494. , and .
- 1999. PC-ORD. Multivariate analysis of ecological data, Version 5.0, MjM Software, Gleneden Beach, Oregon. , and .
- 2010. Habitat corridors & landscape connectivity: clarifying the terminology. Center for Large Landscape Conservation, New York. , , and .
- NLCD (National Landcover Database). 2001. U.S. Department of the Interior, U.S. Geological Survey.
- 2007. Contribution of Working Groups I, II and III to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Core Writing Team, R. K. Pachauri, and A. Reisinger, editors. IPCC, Geneva, Switzerland. , and .
- 2007. Conservation planning in a changing world. TRENDS in Ecology and Evolution 22(11):583–592. , , , , and .
- 2002. Effectiveness of protected areas in north-eastern New South Wales: recent trends in six measures. Biological Conservation 106:57–69. , , , and .
- 2008. Climate change and plant distribution: local models predict high-elevation persistence. Global Change Biology 15(6):1557–1569. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Shortcuts for biodiversity conservation planning: the effectiveness of surrogates. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics 38:713–737. , and .
- 2011. Systematic conservation planning in the face of climate change: bet-hedging on the Columbia Plateau. PLoS One 6 DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0028788. , , , , , , , , , and .
- Tele Atlas North America, ESRI. 2012. U.S. and Canada streets cartographic. Redlands, California.
- TNC (The Nature Conservancy). 2012. Eastern U.S. Ecoregional Assessments: Central Appalachian Ecoregion (2003), Chesapeake Bay Lowlands Ecoregion (2003), High Allegheny Ecoregion (2003), St. Lawrence Ecoregion (2003), Lower New England Ecoregion (2003), Northern Appalachian/Acadian Ecoregion (2006), North Atlantic Coast Ecoregion (2006). The Nature Conservancy, Eastern Conservation Science, Boston, Massachusetts. Available from https://www.conservationgateway.org/ConservationByGeography/NorthAmerica/UnitedStates/edc/reportsdata/terrestrial/ecoregional/Pages/default.aspx (accessed January 2012).
- USFW (U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service). 2012. National Wetlands Inventory website. U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service, Washington, D.C. Available from http://www.fws.gov/wetlands.
- 2010. Matching the multiple scales of conservation with the multiple scales of climate change. Conservation Biology 24(1):51–62. , and .
- 1988. Sun, slope, and butterflies: topographic determinants of habitat quality for Euphydryas editha bayensis. Ecology 69:1486–1496. , , and .
- 2009. Biodiversity and climate change. Science 326:806–807. , and .