Authors contributed equally.
Seventy-One Important Questions for the Conservation of Marine Biodiversity
Version of Record online: 29 APR 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Conservation Biology published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc. on behalf of The Society for the Study of Evolution.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
Volume 28, Issue 5, pages 1206–1214, October 2014
How to Cite
PARSONS, E. C. M., FAVARO, B., AGUIRRE, A. A., BAUER, A. L., BLIGHT, L. K., CIGLIANO, J. A., COLEMAN, M. A., CÔTÉ, I. M., DRAHEIM, M., FLETCHER, S., FOLEY, M. M., JEFFERSON, R., JONES, M. C., KELAHER, B. P., LUNDQUIST, C. J., MCCARTHY, J.-B., NELSON, A., PATTERSON, K., WALSH, L., WRIGHT, A. J. and SUTHERLAND, W. J. (2014), Seventy-One Important Questions for the Conservation of Marine Biodiversity. Conservation Biology, 28: 1206–1214. doi: 10.1111/cobi.12303
- Issue online: 17 SEP 2014
- Version of Record online: 29 APR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Received: 17 JUL 2013
- Society for Conservation Biology's (SCB) Marine Section
- 2012. Northern fulmars as biological monitors of trends of plastic pollution in the eastern North Pacific. Marine Pollution Bulletin 64:1776–1781. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Marine invasive alien species: a threat to global biodiversity. Marine Policy 27:313–323. , , , , and .
- 2006. Globalization, roving bandits, and marine resources. Science 311:1557–1558. , et al.
- 2008. Is conservation triage just smart decision making? Trends in Ecology & Evolution 23:649–654. , et al.
- 2005. Persistent organic pollutants and mercury in marine biota of the Canadian Arctic: an overview of spatial and temporal trends. Science of the Total Environment 351:4–56. , et al.
- 2002. Zoning the oceans: using the National Marine Sanctuaries Act and the Antiquities Act to establish marine protected areas and marine reserves in America. Ecology Law Quarterly 29:71–130.
- 2006. Analyzing international environmental regimes: from case study to database. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA. , , and .
- 2003. Comparing marine and terrestrial ecosystems: implications for the design of coastal marine reserves. Ecological Applications 13:S90–S107. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Governance of fisheries and other living marine resources in the wider Caribbean. Fisheries Research 87:92–99. , , , , and .
- 2009. Human dimensions of marine protected areas. ICES Journal of Marine Science 66:6–15. , and .
- 2010. Is there a need for a ‘100 questions exercise’ to enhance fisheries and aquatic conservation, policy, management and research? Lessons from a global 100 questions exercise on conservation of biodiversity. Journal of Fish Biology 76:2261–2286. , , , and .
- 2010. A census of marine biodiversity knowledge, resources, and future challenges. PLoS One 5. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0012110. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Understanding and managing human threats to the coastal marine environment. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 1162:39–62. , , , and .
- 2002. Geology of mankind. Nature 415:23.
- 2001. Anthropogenic environmental change and the emergence of infectious diseases in wildlife. Acta Tropica 78:103–116. , , and .
- 2008. Biocultural diversity should be a priority for conservation. Nature 456:315.
- FAO. 2012. The state of world fisheries and aquaculture 2012. Pages 1–209. FAO, Rome.
- 2007. Ocean citizenship: an emergent geographical concept. Coastal Management 35:511–524. , and .
- 2005. The precautionary principle in fisheries management. Marine Policy 29:495–505. .
- 2010. Marine biodiversity of Aotearoa New Zealand. PLoS One 5. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0010905. , , , , and .
- 2008. A global map of human impact on marine ecosystems. Science 319:948–952. , et al.
- 2006. The impacts of climate change in coastal marine systems. Ecology Letters 9:228–241. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2004. When can marine reserves improve fisheries management? Ocean and Coastal Management 47:197–205. , et al.
- 2011. Oil exposure in a warmer Arctic: potential impacts on key zooplankton species. Marine Biology 158:1339–1347. , and .
- 2012. Willing and unwilling to share primary biodiversity data: results and implications of an international survey. Conservation Letters 5:399–406. , , , , , , and .
- 2003. Climate change, human impacts, and the resilience of coral reefs. Science 301:929–933. , et al.
- IPCC. 2013. Climate change 2013: the physical science basis. Working group I contribution to the fifth assessment report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Available from http://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar5/wg1 (accessed October 2013).
- 2004. Impacts of pollution on coastal and marine ecosystems including coastal and marine fisheries and approach for management: a review and synthesis. Marine Pollution Bulletin 48:624–649. , and .
- 1995. The water is not empty: cross-cultural issues in conceptualising sea space. Australian Geographer 26:87–96.
- 2002. Mind the gap: Why do people act environmentally and what are the barriers to pro-environmental behavior? Environmental Education Research 8:239–260. , and .
- 2009. Biological effects within no-take marine reserves: a global synthesis. Marine Ecology Progress Series 384:33–46. , , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Publication of marine conservation papers: Is conservation biology too dry? Conservation Biology 18:1160–1162. , and .
- 2009. Historical baselines for large marine animals. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 24:254–262. , and .
- 2010. Interactions between disturbance and dispersal reduce persistence thresholds in a benthic community. Marine Ecology Progress Series 413:217–228. , , , and .
- 1998. The importance of benthic-pelagic coupling and the forgotten role of life cycles in coastal aquatic systems. Limnology and Oceanography 43:763–768. , and .
- 2012. Improving marine environmental health through marine citizenship: a call for debate. Marine Policy 36:839–843. , and .
- Millennium Ecosystem Assessment. 2005. Ecosystems and human well-being: synthesis. Island Press, Washington, DC.
- 2010. Science, policy, and species at risk in Canada. BioScience 60:843–849. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Fishing down the deep. Fish and Fisheries 7:24–34. , , , and .
- 2009. The big ecological questions inhibiting effective environmental management in Australia. Austral Ecology 34:1–9. , et al.
- 2005. Marine conservation biology: the science of maintaining the sea's biodiversity. Island Press, Washington. , and .
- 1994. Interpreting the precautionary principle. Earthscan /James & James, Norwich, United Kingdom. , and .
- 2011. Projecting coral reef futures under global warming and ocean acidification. Science 333:418–422. , , , and .
- 2005. Data sharing in ecology and evolution. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 20:362–363. , and .
- 2008. Navy sonar and cetaceans: Just how much does the gun need to smoke before we act? Marine Pollution Bulletin 56:1248–1257. , , , , and .
- 2006. Marine protected areas: the social dimension. Background paper 3. FAO expert workshop on marine protected areas and fisheries management. Review of issues and considerations (12–14 June, 2006): 149–175. , , and .
- 2009. The intersections of biological diversity and cultural diversity: towards integration. Conservation and Society 7:100–112. , et al.
- 2010. The top 100 questions of importance to the future of global agriculture. International Journal of Agricultural Sustainability 8:219–236. , et al.
- 2005. The potential for nutrient overenrichment to diminish marine biodiversity. Pages 109–122 in E. A. Norse, and L. B. Crowder, editors. Marine conservation biology: the science of maintaining the sea's biodiversity. Island Press, Washington, DC.
- 2005. Can commercial fishing cause evolution? Answers from guppies (Poecilia reticulata). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62:791–801. , and .
- 2007. Globalization of conservation: a view from the south. Science 317:755–756. , et al.
- 2003. Research on intact marine ecosystems: a lost era. Marine Pollution Bulletin 46:801–805.
- 2006. The identification of 100 ecological questions of high policy relevance in the UK. Journal of Applied Ecology 43:617–627. , et al.
- 2009. One hundred questions of importance to the conservation of global biological diversity. Conservation Biology 23:557–567. , et al.
- 2012. A collaboratively-derived science-policy research agenda. PLoS One 7. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0031824. , et al.
- 2011. Methods for collaboratively identifying research priorities and emerging issues in science and policy. Methods in Ecology and Evolution 2:238–247. , , , , and .
- 2010. The spatial expansion and ecological footprint of fisheries (1950 to Present). PLoS One 5. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0015143. , , , , and .
- U.N. 2010. Human settlements on the coast. In UN Atlas of the Oceans. Available from http://www.oceansatlas.org/ (accessed June 2012).
- 2011. Saving the shallows: focusing marine conservation where people might care. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 21:495–499.
- 2006. The law and policy of biodiversity conservation in the Caribbean: cutting a Gordian knot. Journal of International Wildlife Law and Policy 9:209–213. , and .