Linking Indices for Biodiversity Monitoring to Extinction Risk Theory
Article first published online: 12 MAY 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Conservation Biology published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc., on behalf of the Society for Conservation Biology.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 28, Issue 6, pages 1575–1583, December 2014
How to Cite
MCCARTHY, M. A., MOORE, A. L., KRAUSS, J., MORGAN, J. W. and CLEMENTS, C. F. (2014), Linking Indices for Biodiversity Monitoring to Extinction Risk Theory. Conservation Biology, 28: 1575–1583. doi: 10.1111/cobi.12308
- Issue published online: 11 NOV 2014
- Article first published online: 12 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Received: 5 NOV 2013
- Australian Research Council (ARC) Future Fellowship. Grant Number: FT100100923
- ARC Centre of Excellence for Environmental Decisions
- 2011. The SAFE index is not safe. Frontiers in Ecology and Environment 9:485–486. , , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Evolution lost: status and trends of the World's vertebrates. Zoological Society of London, United Kingdom. , , , , and .
- 2006. Accounting for management costs in sensitivity analyses of matrix population models. Conservation Biology 20:893–905. , , , , and .
- 2011. No safety in numbers. Frontiers in Ecology and Environment 9:486. , , , and .
- 2005. Monitoring change in biodiversity through composite indices. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 360:243–254. , , , and .
- 2007. Improvements to the Red List Index. PLoS One 2:e140. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2010. Global biodiversity: indicators of recent declines. Science 328:1164–1168. , et al.
- 2013. Experimentally testing an extinction estimator: Solow's optimal linear estimation model. Journal of Animal Ecology 82:345–354. , , , , , , and .
- 2011. The SAFE index: using a threshold population target to measure relative species threat. Frontiers in Ecology and Environment 9:521–525. , , , and .
- 1998. Extinction by assumption; or, the Romeo Error on Cebu. Oryx 32:239–244.
- 2009. Monitoring change in vertebrate abundance: the Living Planet Index. Conservation Biology 23:317–327. , , , , , and .
- 1995. A stochastic metapopulation model with variability in patch size and position. Theoretical Population Biology 48:333–360. , and .
- 1991. Estimation of growth and extinction parameters for endangered species. Ecological Monographs 61:115–143. , , and .
- 2013. A new method for identifying rapid decline dynamics in wild vertebrate populations. Ecology and Evolution 3:2378–2391. , , and .
- 2013. Defining vegetation age class distributions for multispecies conservation in fire-prone landscapes. Biological Conservation 166:111–117. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Macroecology and conservation biology. Pages 345–367 in T. M. Blackburn and K. J. Gaston, editors. Macroecology: concepts and consequences. Blackwell Science, Oxford. , and .
- 1982. Quasiextinction probabilities as a measure of impact on population growth. Risk Analysis 2:171–181. , , , and .
- 2010. Wild bird indicators: using composite population trends of birds as measures of environmental health. Ornithological Science 9:3–22. , and .
- 2000. The metapopulation capacity of a fragmented landscape. Nature 404:755–758. , and .
- IUCN. 2001. IUCN Red List categories and criteria: version 3.1. IUCN Species Survival Commission, Gland, Switzerland and Cambridge, United Kingdom.
- 2011. The why, what, and how of global biodiversity indicators beyond the 2010 target. Conservation Biology 25:450–457. , et al.
- 2004. The Lazarus effect: Can the dynamics of extinct species lists tell us anything about the status of biodiversity? Biological Conservation 117:41–48. , and .
- 2003. Local species immigration, extinction, and turnover of butterflies in relation to habitat area and habitat isolation. Oecologia 137:591–602. , , and .
- 1993. Risks of population extinction from demographic and environmental stochasticity and random catastrophes. The American Naturalist 142:911–927.
- 2005. The Living Planet Index: using species population time series to track trends in biodiversity. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 360:289–295. , , , , , , and .
- 2011. The SAFE index should not be used for prioritization. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 9:486–487. , , , , , and .
- 2001. Expected minimum population size as a measure of threat. Animal Conservation 4:351–355. , and .
- 2002. Simple connectivity measures in spatial ecology. Ecology 83:1131–1145. , and .
- 2010. Optimal allocation of conservation resources to species that may be extinct. Conservation Biology 24:1111–1118. , , and .
- Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity. 2010. Global biodiversity outlook 3. Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity, Montreal, Canada.
- 1981. Biometry, 2nd edition. Freeman, New York. , and .
- 2009. Functional traits and prior abundance explain native plant extirpation in a fragmented woodland landscape. Journal of Ecology 97:718–727. , and .
- 2012. Desirable mathematical properties of indicators for biodiversity change. Ecological Indicators 14:202–208. , , and .