Editor Lauren Persha
Acting Optimally for Biodiversity in a World Obsessed with REDD+
Article first published online: 12 APR 2013
©2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 6, Issue 6, pages 410–417, November/December 2013
How to Cite
Venter, O., Hovani, L., Bode, M. and Possingham, H. (2013), Acting Optimally for Biodiversity in a World Obsessed with REDD+. Conservation Letters, 6: 410–417. doi: 10.1111/conl.12018
- Issue published online: 3 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 12 APR 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 1 MAR 2013 02:08PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Received: 31 OCT 2012
- The Australian Endeavour Program
- The Canadian National Science and Engineering Research Council
- AAL-Tbk. (2010) 2009 consolidated financial report. PT Astra Agro Lestari, Jakarta, Indonesia. http://www.astra-agro.co.id. Accessed 14 March 2013.
- 2012) The size, concentration, and growth of biodiversity-conservation nonprofits. Bioscience 62, 271–281. , , , , & (
- 1997) An experimental comparison of different harvesting intensities with reduced-impact and conventional logging in East Kalimantan, Indonesia. Forest Ecol. Manag. 94, 209–218. & (
- 2011) Conservation planning with multiple organizations and objectives. Conserv. Biol. 25, 295–304. , , , & (
- 2006) Global biodiversity conservation priorities. Science 313, 58–61. , , et al. (
- 2011) Biodiversity co-benefits of reducing emissions from deforestation under alternative reference levels and levels of finance. Conserv. Lett. 4, 101–115. , , & (
- 2005) World Atlas of Great Apes and their Conservation. University of California Press, Berkeley. & (
- 2010) Berau, East Kalimantan: estimation of LULUCF carbon emissions of Berau district, East Kalimantan. World Agroforestry Centre, Bogor, Indonesia. , , & (
- 2011) Free-riding in international environmental agreements: A signaling approach to non-enforceable treaties. J. Theor. Politics 23, 111–134. & (
- FAO (1995) Reduced impact timber harvesting in the tropical natural forest of Indonesia. Forest harvesting case study 11. http://www.fao.org/docrep/x0595E/x0595E00.htm. Accessed 13 March 2013.
- FRA (2010) Global Forest Resources Assessment 2010: country report Indonesia. FAO, Rome.
- 2012) A framework for integrating biodiversity concerns into national REDD+ programmes.Biol. Conserv. 154, 61–71. , , et al. (
- 2009) Biodiversity and REDD at Copenhagen. Curr. Biol. 19, 974–976. , , et al. (
- 2010) Opportunities for achieving biodiversity conservation through REDD. Conserv. Lett. 3, 53–61. , & (
- 2002) Simple measures with substantial impact: implementing RIL in one forest concession in East Kalimantan. In T. Enters, P. Durst, G.B. Applegate, P.C.S. Kho, G. Man, editors. Applying reduced impact logging to advance sustainable forest management. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome. , , , , & (
- Human Rights Watch (2009) Wild Money: the human rights consequences of illegal logging and corruption in Indonesia's forestry sector. Human Rights Watch, New York. http://www.hrw.org/sites/default/files/reports/indonesia1209webwcover.pdf. Accessed 13 March 2013.
- IFCA (2008) Consolidation report: reducing emissions from deforestation and forest degradation in Indonesia. Forest Research and Development Agency, Indonesian Ministry of Forestry, Jakarta.
- 1999) A global review of protected area budgets and staff. WCMC Biodiversity Series No 10. WCMC – World Conservation Press, Cambridge, UK. , & (
- 2008) Knowing but not doing: selecting priority conservation areas and the research-implementation gap. Conserv. Biol. 22, 610–617. , , , , & (
- 2007a) Have we overstated the tropical biodiversity crisis? Trends Ecol. Evol. 22, 65–70. (
- 2007b) A new initiative to use carbon trading for tropical forest conservation. Biotropica 39, 20–24. (
- 2012) Avoiding bio-perversity from carbon sequestration solutions. Conserv. Lett. 5, 28–36. , , et al. (
- 2006) Protected area funding in Indonesia: a study implemented under the Programmes of Work on Protected Areas of the Seventh Meeting of the Conference of Parties on the Convention on Biological Diversity. Ministry of Environment Republic of Indonesia, PHPA, Departemen Kelautan dan Perikanan Jakarta, Indonesia. , , , & (
- 2008) Reducing greenhouse gas emissions from deforestation and forest degradation: global land-use implications. Science 320, 1454–1455. & (
- 2009) Spatial conservation prioritization: quantitative methods and computational tools. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. , , , editors. (
- 2000) Biodiversity hotspots for conservation priorities. Nature 403, 853–858. , , , & (
- 2010) The Nature Conservancy – Landscape High Conservation Value Mapping & Recommended Management for East Kalimantan with special focus on Berau and East Kutai Regencies. Daemeter Consulting, Bogor, Indonesia. & (
- 1995) The future of biodiversity. Science 269, 347–350. , , & (
- 2009) Dangers of carbon-based conservation. Global Environ. Chang-Human Policy Dimen. 19, 400–401. & (
- 2012) Sustaining conservation values in selectively logged tropical forests: the attained and the attainable. Conserv. Lett. 5, 296–303. , , et al. (
- 2011) Overestimating conservation costs in Southeast Asia. Frontiers Ecol Environ 9, 542–544. . & (
- 2009) Critical need for new definitions of “forest” and “forest degradation” in global climate change agreements. Conserv. Lett. 2, 226–232. & (
- SMART-Tbk. (2010) 2009 Financial Report. http://www.smart-tbk.com. PT SMART Tbk, Jakarta, Indonesia.
- 2009) The potential ecological costs and cobenefits of REDD: a critical review and case study from the Amazon region. Glob. Change Biol. 15, 2803–2824. , , et al. (
- 2012) Impacts of incentives to reduce emissions from deforestation on global species extinctions. Nature Clim. Change 2, 350–355. , , et al. (
- 2012) Reducing emissions from deforestation and forest degradation (REDD+): game changer or just another quick fix? Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci 1249, 137–150. & (
- 2009) Harnessing carbon payments to protect biodiversity. Science 326, 1368. , , , , & (
- 2012) Using systematic conservation planning to minimize REDD+ conflict with agriculture and logging in the tropics. Conserv Lett. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-263X.2012.00287.x. , , et al. (
- 2009) Marxan with Zones: software for optimal conservation based land- and sea-use zoning. Environ. Model. Softw. 24, 1513–1521. , , et al. (
- World Bank (2010) World Development Indicators 2010. The World Bank, Washington, D.C.
- 2008) Distribution and conservation status of the orang-utan (Pongo spp.) on Borneo and Sumatra: how many remain? Oryx 42, 329–339. , , et al. (
- 1988) Biodiversity. National Academy Press, Washington, D.C. , editor. (
- 2009) Conserving biodiversity in production landscapes. Ecol. Appl. 20, 1721–1732. , , et al. (