Editor Joern Fischer
Environmental Impacts of Large-Scale Oil Palm Enterprises Exceed that of Smallholdings in Indonesia
Version of Record online: 24 JUN 2013
©2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 7, Issue 1, pages 25–33, January/February 2014
How to Cite
Lee, J. S. H., Abood, S., Ghazoul, J., Barus, B., Obidzinski, K. and Koh, L. P. (2014), Environmental Impacts of Large-Scale Oil Palm Enterprises Exceed that of Smallholdings in Indonesia. Conservation Letters, 7: 25–33. doi: 10.1111/conl.12039
- Issue online: 27 JAN 2014
- Version of Record online: 24 JUN 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 30 MAY 2013 01:17PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 18 FEB 2013
- 2000) Fire zones and the threat to the wetlands of Sumatra, Indonesia. Forest Fire Prevention and Control Project, Jakarta. & (
- 2011) The conservation value of oil palm plantation estates, smallholdings and logged peat swamp forest for birds. For. Ecol. Manage., 262, 2306-2315. , & et al. (
- 2009) Palm oil as an economic pillar of Indonesia. The Jakarta Post. http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2009/12/02/palm-oil-economic-pillar-indonesia.html (visited Nov. 30, 2012). (
- 2005) Rattan, rubber or oil palm: cultural and financial considerations for farmers in Kalimantan. Econ. Bot., 58, S77-S87. , & (
- 2012) Economics assessment of palm oil production. World Agroforestry Centre–ICRAF SEA Regional Office, Bogor, Indonesia. , & (
- 2008) New strategies for conserving tropical forests. Trends. Ecol. Evol., 23, 469-472. & (
- 2013) Carbon emissions from forest conversion by Kalimantan oil palm plantations. Nat. Clim. Ch., 3, 283-287. , , , , & (
- 2012) Committed carbon emissions, deforestation, and community land conversion from oil palm plantation expansion in West Kalimantan, Indonesia. PNAS, 109, 7559-7564. , , et al. (
- 2011) Policy and institutional frameworks for the development of palm oil-based biodiesel in Indonesia. CIFOR, Bogor, Indonesia. , , & (
- 2000) The hesitant boom: Indonesia's oil palm sub-sector in an era of economic crisis and political change. Center for International Forestry Research, Bogor, Indonesia. (
- 2007) Community fire use, resource change, and livelihood impacts: The downward spiral in the wetlands of southern Sumatra. Mitig. Adapt. Strateg. Glob. Change, 12, 75-100. , , et al. (
- 2009) Palm oil business models for land use and development planning in indonesia. Prepared for the Indonesian National Development Planning Agency (BAPPENAS) as part of a project supported by UK Department for International Development. (
- 2010) Why do farmers prefer oil palm? Lessons learnt from Bungo District, Indonesia. Small-Scale Forestry, 9, 379-396. , & (
- 2008) How will oil palm expansion affect biodiversity? Trends. Ecol. Evol., 23, 538-545. , , et al. (
- 2011) Solutions for a cultivated planet. Nature, 478, 337-342. , , et al. (
- 2008) Estimation of the impact of oil palm plantation establishment on greenhouse gas balance. Environ. Dev. Sustain., 10, 697-716. & (
- 2010) Tropical forests were the primary sources of new agricultural land in the 1980s and 1990s. PNAS, 107, 16732-16737. , , et al. (
- 2012) Palm-oil boom raises conservation concerns. Nature, 487, 14-15. (
- 2011) High-yield oil palm expansion spares land at the expense of forests in the Peruvian Amazon. Env. Res. Lett., 6, 044029. , , et al. (
- 2009) Quantifying changes in the rates of forest clearing in Indonesia from 1990 to 2005 using remotely sensed data sets. Env. Res. Lett., 4, 034001. , , , , & (
- 2000) Where have all the forests gone? Environment and social development East Asia and Pacific Region discussion paper. The World Bank, Jakarta. (
- Indonesian Ministry of Agriculture. (2002) Tree crop estate statistics of Indonesia 2000–2002 Oil Palm. Directorate General of Estates, Jakarta.
- Indonesian Ministry of Agriculture. (2011) Tree crop estate statistics of Indonesia 2010–2012 Oil Palm. Directorate General of Estates, Jakarta.
- Indonesian Ministry of Forestry. (2011) Data Spasial Kehutanan. Indonesian Ministry of Forestry. http://webgis.dephut.go.id/. (visited Nov. 20, 2012).
- Indonesian Palm Oil Council. (2010) Indonesian palm oil in numbers 2010. Indonesian Palm Oil Producers Association, Jakarta.
- 2013) Stakeholders’ incentives for land-use change and REDD+: the case of Indonesia. Ecol. Econ., 87, 75-83. , & (
- 2011) The oil palm industry bows to NGO campaigns. Lipid Technol., 23, 102-104. (
- 2011) Remotely sensed evidence of tropical peatland conversion to oil palm. PNAS, 108, 5127-5132. , , & (
- 2008) Is oil palm agriculture really destroying tropical biodiversity? Conserv. Lett., 1, 60-64. & (
- 2012) Mapping and monitoring deforestation and forest degradation in Sumatra (Indonesia) using Landsat time series data sets from 1990 to 2010. Env. Res. Lett., 7, 034010. , , et al. (
- 2010) Processes of inclusion and adverse incorporation: oil palm and agrarian change in Sumatra, Indonesia. J. Peas. Stud., 37, 821-850. (
- 2012) Historical analysis and projection of oil palm plantation expansion on peatland in Southeast Asia. CRISP, Deltares, ICCT. The International Council on Clean Transportation, Washington, DC. , & et al. (
- 2011) 2010 land cover map of insular Southeast Asia in 250-m spatial resolution. Rem. Sense Lett., 3, 11-20. , , & (
- 2009) Interactive atlas of Indonesia's forests (CD-ROM). World Resources Institute, Washington, DC. , , et al. (
- 2006) Cropland expansion changes deforestation dynamics in the southern Brazilian Amazon. PNAS, 103, 14637-14641. , , et al. (
- 2008) Interactions among Amazon land use, forests and climate: prospects for a near-term forest tipping point. Phil. Tran. R. Soc. B: Biol. Sci., 363, 1737-1746. , , & (
- 2012) Environmental and social impacts of oil palm plantations and their implications for biofuel production in Indonesia. Ecol. Soc., 17, 25. , , & (
- 2009) Changing drivers of deforestation and new opportunities for conservation. Conserv. Biol., 23, 1396-1405. , , & (
- 2010) Indonesia ready for binding targets on emissions reduction. The Jakarta Post. http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2010/01/15/indonesia-ready-binding-targets-emissions-reduction.html (visited Nov. 20, 2012). (
- 2004) The role of fire in changing land use and livelihoods in Riau–Sumatra. Ecol. Soc., 9, 15. , , , & (
- 2010) Nestlé uses NGO to clean up palm oil supply chain. The Guardian. http://www.guardian.co.uk/sustainable-business/nestl-ngo-clean-up-palm-oil-supply-chain (visited Nov. 20, 2012). (
- 1995) What drives deforestation in Sumatra? Regional Symposium on Montane Mainland Southeast Asia in Transition. Bogor, ICRAF, Chiang Mai, Thailand. & (
- 2008) Deforestation, degradation, biodiversity loss and CO2 emission in Riau, Sumatra, Indonesia. World Wildlife Fund (WWF), Washington, DC. , , et al. (
- 2006) Towards better practice in smallholder palm oil production. International Institute for Environment and Development, London, UK. & (
- World Bank. (2010) Improving the livelihoods of palm oil smallholders: the role of the private sector. International Finance Corporation, World Bank Group, Washington, DC, USA.
- World Bank. (2011) The World Bank Group framework and IFC strategy for engagement in the palm oil sector. International Finance Corporation, Washington, DC, USA.
- World Wildlife Fund (WWF) Indonesia. (2010) Sumatra's forests, their wildlife and the climate—windows in time: 1985, 1990, 2000, and 2009. WWF Indonesia, Jakarta, Indonesia.