Editor Dr. Andrew Knight
A Transparent Process for “Evidence-Informed” Policy Making
Version of Record online: 27 JUN 2013
©2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 7, Issue 2, pages 119–125, March/April 2014
How to Cite
Dicks, L. V., Hodge, I., Randall, N. P., Scharlemann, J. P.W., Siriwardena, G. M., Smith, H. G., Smith, R. K. and Sutherland, W. J. (2014), A Transparent Process for “Evidence-Informed” Policy Making. Conservation Letters, 7: 119–125. doi: 10.1111/conl.12046
- Issue online: 3 APR 2014
- Version of Record online: 27 JUN 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 7 JUN 2013 12:35PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 22 MAR 2013
- UK Research Councils’ Rural Economy and Land
- Natural Environment Research Council
- Swedish Research Council Formas
- 2001) Evidence based policy: proceed with care. Br. Med. J., 323, 275-278. (
- 2005) Pathways to “evidence-informed” policy and practice: a framework for action. PLos Med., 2, 600-605. & (
- Conservation Evidence. (2013) Conservation evidence. Available from www.conservationevidence.com. Accesssed 14 May 2013.
- 2013) Achieving conservation science that bridges the knowledge–action boundary. Conserv. Biol., DOI: 10.1111/cobi.12050. , , , & (
- Defra. (2011) UK response to the Commission communication and consultation: ‘The CAP towards 2020: Meeting the food natural resources and territorial challenges of the future’. Available from http://archive.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/policy/capreform/documents/110128-uk-cap-response.pdf. Accessed 20 March 2013.
- 2009) Accessing pre-appraised evidence: fine-tuning the 5S model into a 6S model. Evidence-based Nurs., 12, 99-101. , & (
- 2012) Farmland conservation synopsis. Available from http://www.conservationevidence.com/data/index?synopsis_id=9. Accesssed 20 March 2013. , , , et al. (
- 2010) Bee conservation: evidence for the effects of interventions, 1st ed. Pelagic Publishing, Exeter, UK. , & (
- 2012) Developing clinical practice guidelines: target audiences, identifying topics for guidelines, guideline group composition and functioning and conflicts of interest. Implement. Sci., 7, 8. , , , & (
- European Commission. (2002) On the collection and use of expertise by the Commission: principles and guidelines, 11.12.2002 COM(2002)713 final, Brussels.
- European Commission. (2010) The CAP towards 2020: meeting the food, natural resources and territorial challenges of the future, 18/11/2010 COM/2010/0672 final, Brussels.
- European Commission. (2011a) Commission statement of revenue and expenditure by section, 15.03.2011, Brussels.
- European Commission. (2011b) Fact sheet: biodiversity and agriculture, SEC(2011) 1153 final/2, Brussels.
- European Commission. (2011c) Our life insurance, our natural capital: an EU biodiversity strategy to 2020, COM 244 final, Brussels.
- European Commission. (2011d) Proposal for a regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council establishing rules for direct payments to farmers under support schemes within the framework of the Common Agricultural Policy, COM(2011) 625/3, Brussels.
- European Parliament News. (2013) Background note: EU farm policy reform plans as voted by Parliament. Available from http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/pressroom/content/20130124BKG59668/html/EU-farm-policy-reform-plans-as-voted-by-the-Agriculture-Committee. Accesssed 20 March 2013.
- 2009) A method for studying decision-making by guideline development groups. Implement. Sci., 4, 48. , , , & (
- 2005) Ecosystems and human well-being: current state and trends . Findings of the Conditions and Trends Working Group. Island Press, Washington, DC. , & (
- 2000) Research guidelines for the Delphi survey technique. J. Adv. Nurs., 32, 1008-1015. , & (
- 2011) The role of group decision making processes in the creation of clinical guidelines. Int. Rev. Psychiatry, 23, 358-364. , & (
- 2006) A systematic review of factors affecting the judgments produced by formal consensus development methods in health care. J. Health Serv. Res. Policy, 11, 172-179. & (
- 2011) Scanning the oceans for solutions. Solutions, 2, 46-55. , , et al. (
- 2011) Realizing an effectiveness revolution in environmental management. J. Environ. Manage., 92, 2130-2135. & (
- 2011) Good intentions and received wisdom are not good enough: the need for controlled trials in public health. J. Epidemiol. Community Health, 65, 564-567. (
- 2011) Navigators for medicine: evolution of online point-of-care evidence-based services. Int. J. Clin. Pract., 65, 6-11. & (
- Pachauri, R.K. & Reisinger, A., editors. (2007) Climate Change 2007: synthesis report. Contribution of Working Groups I, II and III to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. IPCC, Geneva, Switzerland.
- 2003) Evidence, hierarchies, and typologies: horses for courses. J. Epidemiol. Community Health, 57, 527-529. & (
- 2012) Mainstreaming ecosystem services through reformed European agricultural policies. Conserv. Lett., 5, 281-288. , , et al. (
- 2011) Addressing biodiversity and habitat preservation through measures applied under the Common Agricultural Policy, Report prepared for DG Agriculture and Rural Development, Contract No. 30-CE-0388497/00-44. Institute for European Environmental Policy, London. , , , & (
- 2003) Support for decision making in conservation practice: an evidence-based approach. J. Nat. Conserv., 11, 83-90. & (
- 2012) The effectiveness of integrated farm management, organic farming and agri-environment schemes for conserving biodiversity in temperate Europe – a systematic map. Environ. Evidence, 1, doi:10.1186/2047-2382-1181-1184. & (
- 2012) Evidence-based policy revisited: orientation towards the policy process and a public health policy science. Int. J. Public Health, 57, 455-457. (
- 2007) Evidence based medicine: What it is and what it isn't (reprinted from BMJ, vol 312, pg 71–72, 1996). Clin. Orthop. Rel. Res., 455, 3-5. , , , & (
- 2004) How science makes environmental controversies worse. Environ. Sci. Policy, 7, 385-403. (
- 2010) Evidence-based policy or policy-based evidence gathering? Biofuels, the EU and the 10% target. Environ. Policy Gov., 20, 309-321. & (
- 2012) A collaboratively-derived science-policy research agenda. Plos One, 7, doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0031824. , , et al. (
- 2012) Landscape moderation of biodiversity patterns and processes – eight hypotheses. Biol. Rev., 87, 661-685. , , et al. (
- UK Committee on Climate Change. (2008) Building a low carbon economy – the UK's contribution to tackling climate change. The Stationery Office, London.
- 2013) Bird conservation: evidence for the effects of interventions, 1st ed. Pelagic Publishing, Exeter, UK. , , et al. (