Editor Rafael Loyola
Biodiversity Funds and Conservation Needs in the EU Under Climate Change
Version of Record online: 1 MAY 2014
©2014 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 7, Issue 4, pages 390–400, July/August 2014
How to Cite
Lung, T., Meller, L., van Teeffelen, A. J.A., Thuiller, W. and Cabeza, M. (2014), Biodiversity Funds and Conservation Needs in the EU Under Climate Change. Conservation Letters, 7: 390–400. doi: 10.1111/conl.12096
Disclaimer: The views expressed are purely those of the authors and may not in any circumstances be regarded as stating an official position of the European Commission or other Institutions of the European Union.
- Issue online: 27 AUG 2014
- Version of Record online: 1 MAY 2014
- Accepted manuscript online: 12 MAR 2014 12:37PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Received: 5 SEP 2013
- Research Directorate-General of the European Commission through its Seventh Framework Programme project RESPONSES. Grant Number: 244092
- LM acknowledges LUOVA graduate school for funding
- European Research Council under the European Community's Seven Framework Programme. Grant Numbers: FP7/2007–2013, 281422
- 1974) A new look at the statistical model identification. IEEE T. Automat. Contr., 19, 716-723. (
- 2006) Assessing the accuracy of species distribution models: prevalence, kappa and the true skill statistic (TSS). J. Appl. Ecol., 43, 1223-1232. , & (
- 2011) Climate change threatens European conservation areas. Ecol. Lett., 14, 484-492. , , , & (
- 2004) Would climate change drive species out of reserves? An assessment of existing reserve-selection methods. Glob. Change Biol., 10, 1618-1626. , , , & (
- 2012) The fate of European breeding birds under climate, land-use and dispersal scenarios. Glob. Change Biol., 18, 881-890. , & (
- 2010) Uncertainty in ensemble forecasting of species distribution. Glob. Change Biol., 16, 1145-1157. , , , & (
- BWPi (2006) Birds of the western palearctic interactive. BirdGuides, Oxford, UK.
- 2009) Adaptation to climate change: legal challenges for protected areas. Utrecht Law Rev., 5, 158-175. , , , & (
- 2010) EU 2010 biodiversity baseline. EEA Technical report 12/2010, Copenhagen, Denmark. , , & (
- 2012) Global estimates of the value of ecosystems and their services in monetary units. Ecosystem Services, 1, 50-61. , , , et al. (
- 2007) International conservation policy delivers benefits for birds in Europe. Science, 317, 810-813. , , , , & (
- European Commission (1992) Council directive 92/43/EEC of 1992 on the conservation of natural habitats of wild fauna and flora. Available from http://eurlex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CONSLEG:1992L0043:20070101:EN:PDF. Accessed 13 May 2013.
- European Commission (2011a) Our life insurance, our natural capital: an EU biodiversity strategy to 2020. Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council, the Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions. COM(2011)244. Available from http://ec.europa.eu/environment/nature/biodiversity/comm2006/pdf/2020/1_EN_ACT_part1_v7.pdf. Accessed 13 May 2013.
- European Commission (2011b) Investing in Natura 2000: delivering benefits for nature and people. Commission stuff working paper, SEC(2011) 1573 final.
- European Commission (2011c) Proposal for a regulation of the European parliament and of the council on the establishment of a programme for the Environment and Climate action (LIFE). COM(2011) 874 final.
- European Commission (2013a) Guidance on integrating climate change and biodiversity into strategic environmental assessment. Available from http://ec.europa.eu/environment/eia/pdf/SEA%20Guidance.pdf. Accessed 13 May 2013.
- European Commission (2013b) Guidelines on climate change and Natura 2000. Dealing with the impact of climate change on the management of the Natura 2000 Network of areas of high biodiversity value. Technical Report, 2013–068. Brussels. Available from: http://ec.europa.eu/environment/nature/climatechange/pdf/Guidance%20document.pdf. Accessed 13 August 2013.
- European Commission (2013c) Cohesion policy. Strategic report 2013. Factsheet: Environment.
- European Community (2009) Fourth national report of the European Community to the Convention on Biological Diversity. Available from http://www.cbd.int/doc/world/eur/eur-nr-04-en.pdf. Accessed 26 August 2013.
- European Parliament (2010) Directive 2009/147/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of November 2009 on the conservation of wild birds. Available from http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2010:020:0007:0025:en:PDF. Accessed 13 May 2013.
- 2007) Protected area needs in a changing climate. Front. Ecol. Environ., 5, 131-138. , , et al. (
- 2006) Methods and uncertainties in bioclimatic envelope modeling under climate change. Prog. Phys. Geog., 30, 751-777. , , , , & (
- 2009) Biodiversity management in the face of climate change: a review of 22 years of recommendations. Biol. Conserv., 142, 14-32. & (
- 2005) Very high resolution interpolated climate surfaces for global land areas. Int. J. Climatol., 25, 1965-1978. , , , & (
- 2013) Europe needs a new vision for a Natura 2020 network. Cons. Lett., 6, 462-467. , , , et al. (
- IEEP & Milieu (2013) The guide to multi-benefit cohesion policy investments in nature and green infrastructure. A report for the European Commission, Brussels, by Peter Hjerp, Patrick ten Brink, Keti Medarova-Bergstrom, Leonardo Mazza, and Marianne Kettunen of IEEP, together with Jennifer McGuinn, Paola Banfi and Guillermo Hernández of Milieu.
- 2009) Biodiversity & The EU Budget: making the case for conserving biodiversity. A report commissioned by the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) to the Institute for European Environmental Policy (IEEP), Brussels. Available from http://awsassets.panda.org/downloads/wwf_biodiversity_and_eu_budget.pdf. Accessed 13 May 2013. , , , et al. (
- 2013) A multi-hazard regional level impact assessment for Europe combining indicators of climatic and non-climatic change. Global Environ. Change, 23, 522-536. , , , & (
- 2011) The future of terrestrial mammals in the Mediterranean basin under climate change. Philos. T. Roy. Soc. B, 366, 2681-2692. , , , et al. (
- 2014) Ensemble distribution models in conservation prioritization: from consensus predictions to consensus reserve networks. Divers. Distrib., 20, 309-321. , , , et al. (
- 2012) Spatial conservation planning framework and software Zonation. Version 3.1 User manual. Helsinki. pp. 285. , , , , & (
- Nakićenović, N. & Swart, R., editors. (2000) Emissions scenarios 2000. Special report of the intergovernmental panel on climate change (IPCC). Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 2003) The atmospheric general circulation model ECHAM5. Part I. Model description. Max Planck Institute for Meteorology, Report No. 349, Hamburg. , , , et al. (
- 2011) The Rossby Centre regional climate model RCA3: model description and performance. Tellus, 63, 4-23. , , , et al. (
- Scottish Government (2009) Scotland's climate Change Adaptation framework. The Scottish Government, ISBN 978-0-7559-8179-3. Available from http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Environment/climatechange/scotlands-action/adaptation/AdaptationFramework. Accessed 13 May 2013.
- 2009) BIOMOD—a platform for ensemble forecasting of species distributions. Ecography, 32, 369-373. , , & (
- 2009) International nature conservation law and the adaptation of biodiversity to climate change: a mismatch? J. Environ. Law, 21, 419-442. (
- 2011) Conserving European biodiversity in a changing climate: the Bern Convention, the European Union Birds and Habitats Directives and the adaptation of nature to climate change. Rev. Eur. Comm. Int. Environ. Law, 20, 62-77. (
- 2008) Adapting landscapes to climate change: examples of climate-proof ecosystem networks and priority adaptation zones. J. Appl. Ecol., 45, 1722-1731. , , , et al. (
- 2013) The ice age ecologist: testing methods for reserve prioritization during the last global warming. Glob. Ecol. Biogeogr., 22, 289-301. , , , et al. (