Which Types of Institutional Investors Constrain Abnormal Accruals?
Article first published online: 6 NOV 2013
© 2013 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Corporate Governance: An International Review
Volume 22, Issue 1, pages 43–67, January 2014
How to Cite
Wang, M. (2014), Which Types of Institutional Investors Constrain Abnormal Accruals?. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 22: 43–67. doi: 10.1111/corg.12044
- Issue published online: 8 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 6 NOV 2013
- Accounting Standards Board 1981. SSAP 19: Accounting for investment properties. London: Financial Reporting Council.
- Accounting Standards Board 1999. FRS 15: Tangible fixed assets. London: Financial Reporting Council.
- 1990. Large shareholders and the monitoring of managers: The case of antitakeover charter amendments. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 25: 143–161. &
- 2006. Corporate governance and social responsibility: A comparative analysis of the UK and the US. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 14: 147–158. , , , &
- 2004. Corporate data and future cash flows. Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, 31: 861–905. &
- 2012. CEO tenure and earnings management. http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2060119 accessed on 31 July 2012. &
- 2008. Active institutional shareholders and costs of monitoring: Evidence from executive compensation. Financial Management, 34(4): 5–34. , , &
- 2008. Multiple large shareholders, control contest, and implied cost of equity. Journal of Corporate Finance, 14: 721–737. , , &
- 1998. R&D budgets and corporate earnings targets. Journal of Corporate Finance, 4: 153–184. &
- 1996. An empirical analysis of the relation between the board of directors composition and financial frauds. The Accounting Review, 71: 443–465.
- 1998. Block share purchases and corporate performance. Journal of Finance, 53: 605–634. , , &
- 1994. Hail Britannia? Institutional investor behavior under limited regulation. Michigan Law Review, 92: 1997–2087. &
- 2008. Accounting discretion, corporate governance, and firm performance. Contemporary Accounting Research, 25: 351–405. , , &
- 1994. The valuation effects of equity issues and the level of institutional ownership: Evidence from analysts' earnings forecasts. Financial Management, 23: 33–46. &
- 2001. Managing earnings surprises in the US versus 12 other countries. Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, 20: 373–398. &
- 1962. The calculus of consent. Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan Press. &
- 2005. Corporate governance, earnings management and the information content of accounting earnings: Theoretical model and empirical tests. PhD dissertation, Bond University, Australia.
- 1998. The influence of institutional investors on myopic R&D investment behavior. The Accounting Review, 73: 305–333.
- 2001. Do Institutional investors prefer near-term earnings over long-run value? Contemporary Accounting Research, 18: 207–246.
- 1992. Report of the Committee on the Financial Aspects of Corporate Governance. London: Gee & Co.
- 1998. The influence of institutions on corporate governance through private negotiations: Evidence from TIAA-CREF. Journal of Finance, 53: 1355–1362. , , &
- 2006. Earnings management, corporate governance, and the market performance of seasoned equity offerings. Journal of Contemporary Accounting and Economics, 2: 73–98. , , &
- 2002. Institutional monitoring and opportunistic earnings management. Journal of Corporate Finance, 8: 29–48. , , &
- 1991. Liquidity versus control: The institutional investor as corporate monitor. Columbia Law Review, 91: 1277–1368.
- Combined Code 2003. The Combined Code on Corporate Governance. London: Financial Reporting Council.
- Combined Code 2008. The Combined Code on Corporate Governance (revised June 2008). London: Financial Reporting Council.
- Companies Act 2006. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/46/pdfs/ukpga_20060046_en.pdf accessed on 21 October 2013.
- 2008. Corporate governance and pay-for-performance: The impact of earnings management. Journal of Financial Economics, 87: 357–373. , , &
- 2012. Does ownership type matter for corporate social responsibility? Corporate Governance: An International Review, 20: 233–252. &
- 2005. Internal governance structures and earnings management. Accounting and Finance, 45: 241–267. , , &
- 2002. The quality of accruals and earnings: The role of accrual estimation errors. The Accounting Review, 77: 35–59. &
- 1995. Detecting earnings management. The Accounting Review, 70: 193–225. , , &
- 1996. Causes and consequences of earnings manipulation: An analysis of firms subject to enforcement actions by the SEC. Contemporary Accounting Research, 13: 1–36. , , &
- 1994. Debt covenant violation and manipulation of accruals. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 17: 145–176. &
- 1982. The effect of owner versus management control on the choice of accounting methods. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 4: 41–53. , , &
- 1989. Reputation acquisition in debt markets. Journal of Political Economics, 97: 828–862.
- 2009. Blockholder trading, market efficiency and managerial myopia. Journal of Finance, 64: 2481–2513.
- 2007. The colors of investors' money: The role of institutional investors around the world? University of South Carolina, Working Paper. &
- 2005. The market pricing of accruals quality. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 39: 295–327. , , , &
- 2009. Corporate governance and earnings management: A meta-analysis. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 17: 594–610. &
- 2003. Corporate governance, corporate ownership, and the role of institutional investors: A global perspective. Journal of Applied Finance, 13: 4–22. &
- 1995. Directors' remuneration. London: Gee & Co.
- 2003. Discretionary accounting accruals, managers' incentives, and audit fees. Contemporary Accounting Research, 20: 441–464. , , &
- 1998. Committee on corporate governance: Final report. London: Gee & Co.
- 2007. Responsible ownership, shareholder value and the new shareholder activism. Competition & Change, 11: 223–240. , , , &
- 2003. Review of the role and effectiveness of non-executive directors. Department of Trade and Industry/HMSO, London. http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.dti.gov.uk/cld/non_exec_review/pdfs/higgsreport.pdf accessed on 21 October 2013.
- 2005. Does the presence of institutional investors influence accruals management? Evidence from Australia. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 13: 809–823. &
- ISC 2002. The responsibilities of institutional shareholders and agents: Statement of principles. London: Institutional Shareholders Committee.
- 1993. The modern industrial revolution, exit and failure of internal control systems. The Journal of Finance, 48: 831–880.
- 2002. Institutional ownership and the extent to which stock prices reflect future earnings. Contemporary Accounting Research, 19: 117–145. , , &
- 2007. Delaware incorporation and earnings management: An empirical analysis. Journal of Applied Finance, 17: 40–51. &
- 1991. Earnings management during import relief investigation. Journal of Accounting Research, 29: 193–228.
- 1998. Ownership structure, speculation, and shareholder intervention. Journal of Finance, 53: 99–129. &
- 2002. Audit committee, board of director characteristics, and earnings management. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 33: 375–400.
- 2003. On the association between institutional ownership and aggressive corporate governance earnings management in Australia. British Accounting Review, 35: 105–128.
- 2007. Institutional investor type, earnings management and benchmark beaters. Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, 26: 267–299.
- 2002. Investor protection and corporate valuation. Journal of Finance, 57: 1147–1170. , , , &
- 2008. Complex ownership structures and corporate valuations. Review of Financial Studies, 21: 579–604. &
- 1998. Large shareholders as monitors: Is there a trade-off between liquidity and control? Journal of Finance, 53: 65–98.
- 2004. Global stakeholders, corporate accountability and investor engagement. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 12: 191–201.
- 2002. Discussion of “The quality of accruals and earnings: The role of accrual estimation errors”. The Accounting Review, 77: 61–69.
- 2011. Multiple large shareholders and corporate risk taking: Evidence from East Asia. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 19: 507–528.
- 2005. Institutional stock ownership, accruals management, and information environment. Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Finance, 20: 257–265. &
- 2001. Institutional investment in the United Kingdom: A review. Report to HM Treasury.
- 2000. Accruals management to meet earnings targets: UK evidence pre- and post-Cadbury. British Accounting Review, 32: 415–445. , , &
- 2005. Board monitoring and earnings management: Do non-executive directors influence abnormal accruals? Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, 32: 1311–1346. , , &
- 1992. Capital choices: Changing the way America invests in industry. Boston, MA: Council on Competitiveness/Harvard Business School.
- 1992. Beyond Takeovers: Politics comes to Corporate Control. Harvard Business Review, 70, 83–93.
- 1994. Institutional investors: The reluctant activists. Harvard Business Review, 72: 140–149.
- 2002. Is institutional ownership associated with earnings management and the extent to which stock prices reflect future earnings? Contemporary Accounting Research, 19: 117–136. , , &
- 2006. In the mirror of the market: The disciplinary effects of company/fund manager meetings. Accounting, Organization and Society, 31: 277–294. , , , &
- 2005. The UK framework governing internal control, speech at SOX 404 in Canada: An Open Forum.
- 2008. Information advantages of large institutional owners. Strategic Management Journal, 29: 219–227. , , &
- 1986. Large shareholders and corporate control. Journal of Political Economy, 94: 461–488. &
- 2008. Type of earnings management and the effect of ownership structure, firm size, and corporate governance practices: Evidence from Indonesia. The International Journal of Accounting, 43: 1–27. &
- 1996. Shareholder activism by institutional investors: Evidence from CalPERS. Journal of Finance, 51: 227–252.
- 1996. Institutional shareholders and corporate governance. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
- 2007. Remarks on UK and US approaches to corporate governance and on the market for corporate control, US Securities and Exchange Commission.
- UK Stewardship Code 2010. London: Financial Reporting Council.
- 2009. A review of corporate governance in UK banks and other financial industry entities, final recommendations. London: HM Treasury.
- 2003. Problems and limitations of institutional investor participation in corporate governance. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 11: 65–73. , , &
- 2005. An emerging third way? The erosion of the Anglo-American shareholder value construct. Cornell International Law Journal, 38: 493–551. &
- 1993. Limitation of liability and the ownership structure of the firm. Journal of Finance, 48: 487–512.
- 2003. The structure and management of alliances: Syndication in the venture capital industry. Journal of Management Studies, 40: 2073–2102. &
- 2003. Earnings management and corporate governance: The role of the board and the audit committee. Journal of Corporate Finance, 9: 295–316. , , &
- 2002. Corporate ownership structure and the informativeness of earnings. Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, 29: 1023–1046. , , , &
- 2008. Corporate governance in emerging economies: A review of the principal–principal perspective. Journal of Management Studies, 45: 196–220. , , , , &
- 1995. Block investment and partial benefits of corporate control. Review of Economic Studies, 62: 161–185.