Global Perspectives on Entrepreneurship
Board Independence, Ownership Structure and the Valuation of IPOs in Continental Europe
Version of Record online: 4 FEB 2014
© 2014 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Corporate Governance: An International Review
Special Issue: Global Perspectives on Entrepreneurship: Public and Corporate Governance
Volume 22, Issue 2, pages 116–131, March 2014
How to Cite
Bertoni, F., Meoli, M. and Vismara, S. (2014), Board Independence, Ownership Structure and the Valuation of IPOs in Continental Europe. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 22: 116–131. doi: 10.1111/corg.12051
- Issue online: 7 MAR 2014
- Version of Record online: 4 FEB 2014
- 2009. The impact of fundamentals on IPO valuation. Financial Management, 38: 253–284. , , &
- 2009. What matters in corporate governance? Review of Financial Studies, 22: 783–827. , , &
- 2012. Strategic and institutional effects on foreign IPO performance: Examining the impact of country of origin, corporate governance, and host country effects. Journal of Business Venturing, 27: 197–216. , , &
- 2013. Corporate governance in high-tech firms. In M. Wright , D. S. Siegel , K. Keasey , & I. Filatotchev (Eds.), Handbook of corporate governance: 365–388. Oxford: Oxford University Press. , , &
- 2008. Corporate governance and firm performance. Journal of Corporate Finance, 14: 257–273. &
- 2011. Valuing university-based firms: The effects of academic affiliation on IPO performance. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 35: 755–776. , , &
- 2010. Governance, ownership structure, and performance of IPO firms: The impact of different types of private equity investors and institutional environments. Strategic Management Journal, 31: 491–509. , , , &
- 1990. Initial public offerings and underwriter reputation. Journal of Finance, 45: 1045–1067. &
- 2004. Turning scientific and technological human capital into economic capital: The experience of biotech start-ups in France. Research Policy, 33: 631–642. , , , &
- 2003. Influencing initial public offering investors with prestige: Signaling with board structures. Academy of Management Review, 28: 432–446.
- 2001. Wealth and the effects of founder management among IPO-stage new ventures. Strategic Management Journal, 22: 641–658. , , , &
- 2008. The effects of information disclosure and board independence on IPO discount. Journal of Small Business Management, 46: 219–241. &
- 2011. Shareholders' rights and the effect of the origin of venture capital firms on the underpricing of US IPOs. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 19: 601–621. &
- 2009. Is CEO duality always negative? An exploration of CEO duality and ownership structure in the Arab IPO context. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 17: 123–141. &
- 2012. Board structure and survival of new economy IPO firms. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 20: 144–163. , , &
- 1999. When competitive advantage doesn't lead to performance?: The resource-based view and stakeholder bargaining power. Organization Science, 10: 119–133.
- 2011. IPO pricing: Growth rates implied in offer prices. Annals of Finance, 7: 53–82. , , &
- 2005. Information asymmetry and investor valuation of IPOs: Top management team legitimacy as a capital market signal. Strategic Management Journal, 26: 683–690. &
- 2008. Contracts and exits in venture capital finance. Review of Financial Studies, 21: 1947–1982.
- 2005. Investment bankers and IPO pricing: Does prospectus information matter? Journal of Business Venturing, 20: 93–111. , , &
- 1996. Does isomorphism legitimate? Academy of Management Journal, 39: 1024–1039.
- 2000. Media reputation as a strategic resource: An integration of mass communication and resource-based theories. Journal of Management, 26: 1091–1112.
- 2005. An examination of differences between organizational legitimacy and organizational reputation. Journal of Management Studies, 42: 329–360. &
- 2001. Earnings management: IPO valuation and subsequent performance. Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Finance, 16: 369–396. , , &
- 2004. Private benefits of control: An international comparison. Journal of Finance, 59: 537–600. &
- 2005. Board composition and firm value under concentrated ownership: The Canadian evidence. Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, 13: 387–410. , , , &
- Eurostat 2009. “High-technology” and “knowledge based services” aggregations based on NACE Rev. 2. Luxembourg: Eurostat.
- 2002. The ultimate ownership of Western European corporations. Journal of Financial Economics, 65: 365–395. &
- 2011. The costs of intense board monitoring. Journal of Financial Economics, 101: 160–181. , , &
- 2002. Corporate ownership structure and the informativeness of accounting earnings in East Asia. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 33: 401–425. &
- 2009. Institutional versus individual investment in IPOs: The importance of firm fundamentals. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 4: 489–516. &
- 2002. Board composition, share ownership, and “underpricing” of U.K. IPO firms. Strategic Management Journal, 23: 941–955. &
- 2006. The firm's strategic dynamics and corporate governance life-cycle. International Journal of Managerial Finance, 2: 256–279. , , &
- 2004. Effects of social capital and power on surviving transformational change: The case of initial public offerings. Academy of Management Journal, 47: 463–481. &
- 2013. Does board independence improve firm performance? Outcome of a quasi-natural experiment. SSRN Working Paper. Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2312325 &
- 1997. The external ties of top-excecutives: Implications for strategic choice and performance. Administrative Science Quarterly, 42: 654–681. &
- 2003. Corporate governance and equity prices. Quarterly Journal of Economics, 118: 107–155. , , &
- 1993. Top executive commitment to the status quo: Some tests of its determinants. Strategic Management Journal, 14: 401–418. , , &
- 1988. The determinants of board composition. Rand Journal of Economics, 19: 589–606. &
- 2001. Boards of directors as an endogenously determined institution: A survey of the economic literature. NBER Working Paper No. 8161. Cambridge, MA: National Bureau of Economic Research. &
- 2008. Conveying quality and value in emerging industries: Star scientists and the role of learning in biotechnology. NBER Working Paper No. 14602. Cambridge, MA: National Bureau of Economic Research. , , &
- 2009. Public and private enforcement of securities laws: Resource-based evidence. Journal of Financial Economics, 93: 207–238. &
- 1986. Agency costs of free cash flow, corporate finance, and takeovers. American Economic Review, 76: 323–329.
- 2010. Listing standards as a signal of IPO preparedness and quality. International Review of Law and Economics, 30: 128–144.
- 2007. Corporate governance and board composition: Diversity and independence of Australian boards. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 15: 194–207. , , &
- 1999. Valuing IPOs. Journal of Financial Economics, 53: 409–437. &
- 2006. What works in securities laws. Journal of Finance, 61: 1–31. , , &
- 1998. Law and finance. Journal of Political Economy, 106: 1113–1155. , , , &
- 2002. Investor protection and corporate valuation. The Journal of Finance, 57: 3–27. , , , &
- 2001. Corporate governance and the governance of innovation: The case of the pharmaceutical industry. Journal of Management and Governance, 5: 29–59.
- 2007. Endogeneity in quantile regression models: A control function approach. Journal of Econometrics, 141: 1131–1158.
- 2013. Handbook of research on IPOs. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar. &
- 2011. Principal-principal conflicts and IPO pricing in an emerging economy. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 19: 585–600. &
- 2002. Why don't issuers get upset about leaving money on the table in IPOs? Review of Financial Studies, 1: 413–444. &
- 2004. Why has IPO underpricing changed over time? Financial Management, 33: 5–37. &
- 2005. The effects of parental altruism on the governance of family-managed firms. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 26: 313–330. , , , &
- 2009. IPO valuation of European pyramidal groups. Banking and Finance Review, 1: 17–34. , , &
- 2002. Relational and contractual governance in family firms?: Effects on strategic decision making. Family Business Review, 15: 202–222. , , &
- 2008. Venture capital reputation and investment performance. Journal of Financial Economics, 90: 127–151.
- 2007. Standing out from the crowd: The visibility-enhancing effects of IPO-related signals on alliance formation by entrepreneurial firms. Strategic Organization, 5: 339–372. &
- 2003. Differences between European and American IPO markets. European Financial Management, 9: 421–434.
- 2011. Equilibrium in the initial public offerings market. Annual Review of Financial Economics, 3: 347–374.
- 2004. Sorting things out: Valuation of new firms in uncertain markets. Strategic Management Journal, 25: 167–186. &
- 1999. CEO involvement in the selection of new board members: An empirical analysis. Journal of Finance, 16: 1829–1853. &
- 1998. Earnings management and the long-run market performance of initial public offerings. Journal of Finance, 53: 1935–1975. , , &
- 2012. Europe's second markets for small companies. European Financial Management, 18: 352–388. , , &
- 2005. Innovation in “low-tech” industries. In J. Fagerberg , D. C. Mowery , & R. R. Nelson (Eds.), Handbook of innovation: Oxford: Oxford University Press. &
- 2008. Ownership structure and IPO valuation – evidence from Taiwan. Financial Management, 37: 141–161. , , &
- 2005. Commitment or entrenchment?: Controlling shareholders and board composition. Journal of Banking & Finance, 29: 1857–1885. &
- 2008. Voluntary appointment of independent directors in Taiwan: Motives and consequences. Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, 35: 1103–1137. , , &
- 1989. Boards of directors and corporate financial performance: A review and integrative model. Journal of Management, 15: 291–334. &