National Governance Bundles Issue
Institutions and Equity Structure of Foreign Affiliates
Version of Record online: 10 FEB 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Corporate Governance: An International Review published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Corporate Governance: An International Review
Special Issue: National Governance Bundles
Volume 22, Issue 3, pages 216–229, May 2014
How to Cite
Driffield, N., Mickiewicz, T. and Temouri, Y. (2014), Institutions and Equity Structure of Foreign Affiliates. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 22: 216–229. doi: 10.1111/corg.12054
- Issue online: 29 APR 2014
- Version of Record online: 10 FEB 2014
- ESRC. Grant Number: RES-062-23-0986
- 2005. Unbundling institutions. Journal of Political Economy, 113: 949–995. &
- 1992. Choice of foreign market entry mode: Impact of ownership, location and internalization factors. Journal of International Business Studies, 23: 1–27. &
- 2008. An organizational approach to comparative corporate governance: Costs, contingencies, and complementarities. Organization Science, 19: 475–492. , , , &
- 2003. The cross-national diversity of corporate governance: Dimensions and determinants. Academy of Management Review, 28: 447–465. &
- 2003. Investment liberalization and international trade. Journal of International Economics, 61: 101–126. &
- 1999. Share repurchases and intangible assets. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 28: 211–241. &
- 2003. Law and finance: Why does legal origin matter? Journal of Comparative Economics, 31: 653–675. , , &
- 2004. The determinants of foreign direct investment into European transition economies. Journal of Comparative Economics, 32: 775–787. &
- 1991. Partner contributions as predictors of equity share in international joint ventures. Journal of International Business Studies, 22: 63–78.
- 2005. Postprivatization corporate governance: The role of ownership structure and investor protection. Journal of Financial Economics, 76: 369–399. , , &
- 2002. Institutional, cultural and transaction cost influences on entry mode choice and performance. Journal of International Business Studies, 33: 223–231.
- 1997. The role of key stakeholders in international joint venture negotiations: Cases from Eastern Europe. Journal of International Business Studies, 28: 285–308. &
- 2001. Estimating the knowledge-capital model of the multinational enterprise. American Economic Review, 91: 693–708. , , &
- 2002. Japanese investors' choice of joint ventures vs. wholly-owned subsidiaries in the US: The role of market barriers and firm capabilities. Journal of International Business Studies, 33: 1–18. &
- 1993. Market-share models. In J. Eliashberg & G. L. Lilien (Eds.), Handbooks in Operations Research and Management Science: Volume 5: Marketing: 259–314. Amsterdam: North-Holland.
- 2008. The pecking order of cross-border investment. Journal of International Economics, 74: 94–119. &
- 2007. Foreign direct investment mode choice: Entry and establishment modes in transition economies. Journal of International Business Studies, 38: 1013–1033. &
- 2008. The law and economics of self-dealing. Journal of Financial Economics, 84: 299–329. , , , &
- 2007. Private credit in 129 countries. Journal of Financial Economics, 84: 299–329. , , &
- 2003. Coping with corruption in foreign markets. Academy of Management Executive, 17: 114–127. , , , , &
- 2010. The multinational enterprise as a source of international knowledge flows: Direct evidence from Italy. Journal of International Business Studies, 41: 350–359. , , &
- 2013. Institutional reforms, productivity and profitability: From rents to competition? Journal of Comparative Economics, 41: 583–600. , , &
- 1988. The eclectic paradigm of international production: A restatement and some possible extensions. Journal of International Business Studies, 19: 1–31.
- 2001. Privatization and corporate governance: Principles, evidence and future challenges. The World Bank Research Observer, 16: 59–89.
- EBRD 2011. Transition report 2011. London: European Bank for Reconstruction and Development.
- 2010. Structural policies and growth: Time series evidence from a natural experiment. Journal of Development Economics, 91: 169–179. &
- 2013. Which institutions encourage entrepreneurial growth aspirations? Journal of Business Venturing, 28: 564–580. , , &
- 2006. Reforms and growth in transition: Re-examining the evidence. Journal of Comparative Economics, 34: 421–445. , , &
- 2007. Ownership concentration, ‘private benefits of control’ and debt financing. In T. Mickiewicz (Ed.), Corporate governance and finance in Poland and Russia: 159–176. Houndmills: Palgrave Macmillan. &
- 2007. Set-theoretic approach to organization configuration. Academy of Management Review, 32: 1180–1198.
- 1988. The multinational corporation's degree of control over foreign subsidiaries: An empirical test of a transaction cost explanation. Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization, 4: 305–336. &
- 1991. Strategic determinants of partner selection criteria in international joint ventures. Journal of International Business Studies, 22: 41–62.
- 2003. Governance infrastructure and US foreign direct investment. Journal of International Business Studies, 34: 19–39. &
- 2008. A chemistry of organization: Combinatory analysis and design. Organization Studies, 29: 459–485. &
- 2000. The institutional environment for multinational investment. Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, 16: 334–364.
- 2007. Beyond the dichotomous worlds hypothesis: Towards a plurality of corporate governance logics. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 15: 1288–1300. &
- 1995. Forbidden payment: Foreign bribery and American business after 1977. NBER Working Paper 5266.
- 2009. Complementarity in monitoring and bonding: More intense monitoring leads to higher executive compensation. Academy of Management Perspectives, 23: 57–74. , , &
- 2009. Corruption and cross-border investment in emerging markets: Firm-level evidence. Journal of International Money and Finance, 28: 605–624. &
- 1991. Institutions, institutional effects and institutionalism. In W. W. Powell & P. DiMaggio (Eds.), The new institutionalism in organizational analysis: 143–163. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press.
- 2008. Institutional antecedents of corporate governance legitimacy. Journal of Management, 34: 765–785. , , &
- 2004. Corporate governance in Russia: What model will it follow? Corporate Governance: An International Review, 12: 302–313. &
- 2009. Governance Matters VIII. Aggregate and individual governance indicators 1996–2008. Policy Research Working Paper 4978, World Bank. , , &
- 1999. Does grease money speed up the wheels of commerce? NBER Working Papers 7093. National Bureau of Economic Research. &
- 1992. Global strategy and multinationals' entry mode choice. Journal of International Business Studies, 23: 29–53. &
- 2013. How much do country-level or firm-level variables matter in corporate governance studies? Corporate Governance: An International Review, 21: 199–200. &
- 2008. The economic consequences of legal origins. Journal of Economic Literature, 46: 285–332. , , &
- 1998. Law and finance. Journal of Political Economy, 106: 1113–1155. , , , &
- 2003. Estimating production functions using inputs to control for unobservables. Review of Economic Studies, 70: 317–341.Direct Link: &
- 2000. Privatization and deregulation: Corporate governance consequences in a global economy. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 8: 65–74.
- 2011. Shadow of the contract: How contract structure shapes interfirm dispute resolution. Strategic Management Journal, 32: 532–555. &
- 1996. Local knowledge transfer and performance: Implications for alliance formation in Asia. Journal of International Business Studies, 27: 905–927. &
- 2007. Entry mode and equity level: A multilevel examination of foreign direct investment ownership structure. Strategic Management Journal, 28: 857–866. , , &
- 2007. Polity IV project. Political regime characteristics and transitions, 1800–2006. Fairfax, VA: George Mason University. &
- 2009. Privatisation and foreign direct investment in 10 transition countries. Post-Communist Economies, 21: 143–156. &
- 2009. Institutions, resources and entry strategies in emerging economies. Strategic Management Journal, 30: 61–80. , , , &
- 2005. Probing theoretically into Central and Eastern Europe: Transactions, resources, and institutions. Journal of International Business Studies, 36: 600–621. &
- 2009. Hierarchy of governance institutions and the pecking order of privatisation: Central-Eastern Europe and Central Asia reconsidered. Post-Communist Economies, 21: 399–423.
- Morck, R. (Ed.) 2007. A history of corporate governance around the world. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press.
- 2004. Is knowledge power? Knowledge flows, subsidiary power and rent-seeking within MNCs. Journal of International Business Studies, 35: 385–406. &
- 1994. Toward a theory of international new ventures. Journal of International Business Studies, 25: 45–64. &
- 1996. Influences on foreign equity ownership level in joint ventures in China. Journal of International Business Studies, 27: 1–26.
- 2006. Schooling, capital constraints, and entrepreneurial performance: The endogenous triangle. Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, 24: 416–431. &
- 2009. Estimating standard errors in finance panel data sets: Comparing approaches. Review of financial studies, 22(1): 435–480.
- 2004. Production function estimation in Stata using inputs to control for observables. Stata Journal, 4: 113–123. , , &
- 2005. The determinants of cross-border equity flows. Journal of International Economics, 65: 269–296. &
- 2001. Information and capital flows: The determinants of transactions in financial assets. European Economic Review, 45: 783–796. , , &
- PRS Group 2013. International country risk guide. Syracuse, NY: Political Risk Services.
- 2007. How laws and institutions shape financial contracts: The case of bank loans. Journal of Finance, 62: 2803–2834. &
- 2004. Privatization and deregulation: Corporate governance consequences in a global economy. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 12: 281–289. &
- 2010. The OECD ORBIS database: Responding to the need for firm-level micro-data in the OECD. OECD Working Paper, STD/DOC(2010). , , &
- 2006. Three lenses on the multinational enterprise: Politics, corruption and corporate social responsibility. Journal of International Business Studies, 37: 733–746. , , , &
- 2004. Institutions rule: The primacy of institutions over geography and integration in economic development. Journal of Economic Growth, 9: 131–165. , , &
- 2002. Corporate law's limit. Journal of Legal Studies, 31: 233–271.
- 2008. The institutions of corporate governance. In C. Ménard & M. Shirley (Eds.), Handbook of new institutional economics: 371–400. Berlin: Springer-Verlag.
- 2009. Multinational firms, global value chains and the organization of knowledge transfer. Research Policy, 38: 369–381. &
- 2009. Boards of directors, CEO ownership, and the use of non-financial performance measures in the CEO bonus plan. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 17: 90–160. &
- 1997. A survey of corporate governance. Journal of Finance, 52: 737–783. &
- 2008. Analysis of productivity differences among foreign and local firms: Evidence from Germany. The Review of World Economics, 144: 32–54. , , &
- 2011. Simple formulas for standard errors that cluster by both firm and time. Journal of Financial Economics, 99: 1–10.
- 2006. The impact of corruption on entry strategy: Evidence from telecommunication projects in emerging economies. Organization Science, 17: 402–414. , , , &
- 2009. Governance bundles, firm performance, and the substitutability and complementarity of governance mechanisms. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 17: 646–660. , , &
- 2000. New institutional economics. Journal of Economic Literature, 38: 595–613.
- 1995. Selection corrections for panel data models under conditional mean independence assumptions. Journal of Econometrics, 68: 115–132.
- 2009. State control, legal investor protection and ownership concentration: Evidence from China. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 17: 176–192. , , &
- 2002. Note: Institutional distance and the multinational enterprise. Academy of Management Review, 27(4): 608–618. &
- 2010. Cultural distance and the pattern of equity ownership structure in international joint ventures. International Business Review, 19: 457–467. &
- 2008. Why adopt codes of good governance? A comparison of institutional and efficiency perspectives. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 16: 1–15. &