This article was published online on 10 February 2014. An error was subsequently identified in Panel A of Table 2. This notice is included in the online version to indicate that this has been corrected 11 February 2014.
National Governance Bundles Issue
National Governance Bundles and Corporate Agency Costs: A Cross-Country Analysis
Version of Record online: 10 FEB 2014
© 2014 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Corporate Governance: An International Review
Special Issue: National Governance Bundles
Volume 22, Issue 3, pages 230–251, May 2014
How to Cite
Aslan, H. and Kumar, P. (2014), National Governance Bundles and Corporate Agency Costs: A Cross-Country Analysis. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 22: 230–251. doi: 10.1111/corg.12055
- Issue online: 29 APR 2014
- Version of Record online: 10 FEB 2014
- 2013. Management's earnings justification and earnings management under different institutional regimes. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 21: 93–115. , , &
- 1992. An incomplete contracts approach to financial contracting. Review of Economic Studies, 59: 473–494. &
- 2011. A bundle perspective to comparative corporate governance. In T. Clarke & D. Branson (Eds.), Sage handbook of corporate governance: 379–405. New York: Sage Publications. , , &
- 2008. An organizational approach to comparative corporate governance: Costs, contingencies, and complementarities. Organization Science, 19: 475–492. , , , &
- 2003. The cross-national diversity of corporate governance: Dimensions and determinants. Academy of Management Review, 28: 447–465. &
- 2009. Law and finance: Inaccurate, incomplete, and important. Brigham Young University Law Review, 9: 1413–1434. &
- 1991. Multiple regression: Testing and interpreting interactions. London: Sage Publications. &
- 1993. Stock market and resource allocation. In C. Mayer & X. Vives (Eds.), Capital markets and financial intermediation: 81–108. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 1999. Comparing financial systems. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. &
- 2010. Measurement errors in investment equations. Review of Financial Studies, 23: 3279–3328. , , &
- 1968. Financial ratios, discriminant analysis, and the prediction of corporate bankruptcy. Journal of Finance, 23: 589–609.
- 2000. Predicting financial distress of companies: Revisiting the Z-score and Zeta models. Working Paper, New York University, New York.
- 1991. Some tests of specification for panel data: Monte Carlo evidence and an application to employment equations. Review of Economic Studies, 58: 277–297. &
- 2012. Strategic ownership structure and the cost of debt. Review of Financial Studies, 25: 2257–2299. &
- 2009. Creditor rights, enforcement and bank loans. Journal of Finance, 64: 823–860. &
- 2006. Control rights, priority rights, and the conceptual foundations of corporate reorganizations. Virginia Law Review, 87: 921–959. &
- 2008. Beyond contextualization: Using context theories to narrow the micro-macro gap in management research. Academy of Management Journal, 51: 839–846.
- 2009. Boards of directors, CEO ownership, and the use of non-financial performance measures in CEO bonus plan. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 17: 90–106. &
- 1932. The modern corporation and private property. New York: Macmillan. &
- 2007. Does industry-wide distress affect defaulted firms? Evidence from creditor recoveries. Journal of Financial Economics, 85: 787–821. , , &
- 1996. Optimal debt structure and the number of creditors. Journal of Political Economy, 104: 1–25. &
- 2005. The optimal concentration of lenders. Journal of Finance, 60: 2193–2212. &
- 2009. Do shareholder rights affect the cost of bank loans? Review of Financial Studies, 22: 2973–3004. , , &
- 2006. Tunneling, propping, and expropriation: Evidence from connected party transactions in Hong Kong. Journal of Financial Economics, 82: 343–386. , , &
- 2002. Disentangling the incentive and entrenchment effects of large shareholdings. Journal of Finance, 57: 2741–2771. , , , &
- 2000. The separation of ownership and control in East Asian corporations. Journal of Financial Economics, 58: 81–112. , , &
- 2003. Applied multiple regression/correlation analyses for behavioral sciences. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum. , , , &
- 2002. Corporate governance, takeovers, and top management compensation: Theory and evidence. Management Science, 48: 453–469. , , &
- 1997. Higher moment estimators for linear regression models with errors in the variables. Journal of Econometrics, 76: 193–222. &
- 2011. Integration of micro and macro studies in governance research: CEO duality, board composition and financial performance. Journal of Management, 37: 404–411. &
- 1995. Detecting earnings management. The Accounting Review, 70: 193–225. , , &
- 2001. Bank-based and market-based financial systems: Cross-country comparisons. In A. Demirguc-Kunt & R. Levine (Eds.), Financial structure and economic growth: A cross-country comparison of banks, markets, and development: 81–140. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. &
- 1983. The structure of ownership and the theory of the firm. Journal of Law and Economics, 26: 375–390.
- 1985. The structure of corporate ownership: Causes and consequences. Journal of Political Economy, 93: 1155–1177. &
- 2008. Debt enforcement around the world. Journal of Political Economy, 116: 1105–1149. , , , &
- 2009. Private benefits of control, ownership, and the cross-listing decision. Journal of Finance, 64: 425–466. , , , , &
- 2006. Banks in capital markets: A survey. In E. Eckbo (Ed.), Empirical corporate finance: 189–232. Amsterdam: North-Holland. &
- 2004. Private benefits of control: An international comparison. Journal of Finance, 59: 537–600. &
- 2011. Governance through trading and intervention: A theory of multiple blockholders. Review of Financial Studies, 25: 2395–2428. &
- 2000. Measurement error and the relationship between investment and q. Journal of Political Economy, 108: 1027–1057. &
- 2002. Two-step GMM estimation of the errors-in-variables model using high-order moments. Econometric Theory, 18: 776–799. &
- 2012. Treating measurement error in Tobin's q. Review of Financial Studies, 25: 1286–1329. &
- 2002. The ultimate ownership of Western European corporations. Journal of Financial Economics, 65: 365–395. &
- 1976. The option pricing model and the risk factor of stock. Journal of Financial Economics, 3: 53–81. &
- 2011. The role of trading frictions in real asset markets. American Economic Review, 101: 1106–1143.
- 1991. A theory of workouts and the effect of reorganization law. Journal of Finance, 46: 1189–1222. &
- 2006. Controlling shareholders and corporate governance: Complicating the comparative taxonomy. Harvard Law Review, 119: 1641–1683.
- 1988. The costs and benefits of ownership: A theory of vertical and lateral integration. Journal of Political Economy, 94: 691–719. &
- 2006. Loan sales and the cost of borrowing. Review of Financial Studies, 19: 687–716.
- 2001. Varieties of capitalism: The institutional foundations of comparative advantage. Oxford: Oxford University Press. &
- 1988. Corporate governance: Voting rights and majority rules. Journal of Financial Economics, 20: 203–236. &
- 1994. A theory of debt based on inalienability of human capital. Quarterly Journal of Economics, 109: 841–879. &
- 1998. Default and renegotiation: A dynamic model of debt. Quarterly Journal of Economics, 113: 1–42. &
- 2001. Information asymmetry, corporate disclosure, and the capital markets: A review of the empirical disclosure literature. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 31: 405–450. &
- 1999. A review of the earnings management literature and its implications for standard setting. Accounting Horizons, 13: 365–383. &
- 1993. Market liquidity and performance monitoring. Journal of Political Economy, 101: 678–709. &
- 1988. Estimating vector autoregressions with panel data. Econometrica, 56: 1371–1396. , , &
- 2012. Expropriation of minority investors in Chinese listed firms: The role of internal and external corporate governance mechanisms. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 20: 308–332. &
- 1976. Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure. Journal of Financial Economics, 3: 305–360. &
- 1990. Performance pay and top-management incentives. Journal of Political Economy, 98: 225–264. &
- 2000a. Corporate governance in the Asian financial crisis. Journal of Financial Economics, 58: 141–186. , , , &
- 2000b. Tunneling. American Economic Review, 90: 22–27. , , , &
- 2009. Institutional antecedents of corporate governance legitimacy. Journal of Management, 34: 765–785. , , &
- 2008. Takeovers, market monitoring, and international corporate governance. Rand Journal of Economics, 39: 850–874. &
- 2013. How much do country-level or firm-level variables matter in corporate governance studies? Corporate Governance: An International Review, 21: 199–200. &
- 1999. Corporate ownership around the world. Journal of Finance, 54: 471–517. , , &
- 2006. What works in securities laws? Journal of Finance, 61: 1–32. , , &
- 1998. Law and finance. Journal of Political Economy, 106: 1113–1155. , , , &
- 2002. Investor protection and corporate valuation. Journal of Finance, 57: 1147–1170. , , , &
- 2003. Earnings management and investor protection: An international comparison. Journal of Financial Economics, 69: 505–527. , , &
- 1997. Constructing instruments for regressions with measurement error when no additional data are available, with an application to patents and R&D. Econometrica, 65: 1201–1213.
- 2011. Ownership structure and the cost of corporate borrowing. Journal of Financial Economics, 100: 1–23. , , , &
- 2012. Corporate ownership structure and bank loan syndicate structure. Journal of Financial Economics, 104: 1–22. , , , &
- 2003. Equity ownership and firm value in emerging markets. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 38: 159–184.
- 2012. Board task performance: An exploration of micro- and macro-level determinants of board effectiveness. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 33: 193–215. , , , &
- 2000. Concentrated corporate ownership. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press.
- 2000. The information content of stock markets: Why do emerging markets have synchronous stock price movements? Journal of Financial Economics, 58: 215–260. , , &
- 1977. Determinants of corporate borrowing. Journal of Financial Economics, 5: 147–175.
- 1997. The economic organization of East Asian capitalism. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage. , , &
- 2007. How laws and institutions shape financial contracts: The case of bank loans. Journal of Finance, 62: 2803–2834. &
- 1995. Boards of directors and substitution effects of alternative governance mechanisms. Strategic Management Journal, 16: 85–99. &
- 2009. Renegotiation of financial contracts: Evidence from private credit agreements. Journal of Financial Economics, 93: 159–184. &
- 2002. Corporate law's limits. Journal of Legal Studies, 31: 233–271.
- 2007. Examining relationships between monitoring and incentives in corporate governance. Journal of Management Studies, 44: 414–430. , , &
- 2008. Bank loans, bonds, and information monopolies across the business cycle. Journal of Finance, 63: 1315–1359. &
- 2013. Can internal governance mechanisms prevent asset appropriation? Examination of type I tunneling in China. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 21: 225–241.
- 2002. Investor protection and equity markets. Journal of Financial Economics, 66: 3–27. &
- 1999. Earnings momentum and earnings management. Unpublished working paper, University of Michigan and University of Illinois. &
- 1979. On financial contracting: An analysis of bond covenants. Journal of Financial Economics, 7: 117–161. &
- 1988. Managerial control of voting rights: Financing policies and the market for corporate control. Journal of Financial Economics, 20: 25–54.
- 2013. Access to collateral and corporate debt structure: Evidence from a natural experiment. Journal of Finance, 68: 881–928.
- 2009. Governance bundles, firm performance, and the substitutability and complementarity of governance mechanisms. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 17: 646–660. , , &
- 1980. A heteroskedasticity-consistent covariance matrix estimator and a direct test for heteroskedasticity. Econometrica, 48: 817–838.
- 2012. Endogeneity and the dynamics of internal corporate governance. Journal of Financial Economics, 105: 581–606. , , &
- 2012. Corporate governance and initial public offerings: An international perspective. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. &