I am grateful to the co-editors of this special issue of CrossCurrents for the inclusion of my work. Once again, I am pleased to acknowledge the technical support provided by my former student, Daniel G. Callahan, and for his careful reading and critique of my essay. Further, I wish to recognize that special form of collegial support which led me to live a life of the mind in the academy of scholars, and that I have continued to receive in my research on this particular painting, especially in terms of Rogier's iconology of the Magdalene, from a number of colleagues, first and foremost, Lorne Campbell, Erika Langmuir, Gabriele Finaldi, Moshe Barasch, Alfred Acres, Barbara Baert, Barbara von Barghahn, Veronique Vandekerchove, Arthur Hall Smith, Diana Scarisbrick, Margaret Scott, and Joseph N. Tylenda, S.J., through conversations filled with passionate energy and insightful criticisms.
The Space Between Image and Word
The Journey from Rogier van der Weyden's Descent from the Cross to Walter Verdin's Sliding Time
Version of Record online: 19 MAR 2013
© 2013 Association for Religion and Intellectual Life
Volume 63, Issue 1, pages 26–43, March 2013
How to Cite
Apostolos-Cappadona, D. (2013), The Space Between Image and Word. CrossCurrents, 63: 26–43. doi: 10.1111/cros.12011
A note on the spellings of Magdalene in this essay: The English translations of this female saint's name have several variants from Magdalene to Magdalen and Magdalena. My own preference is Magdalene; however, when variations appear in this text, it is to maintain accuracy of the original authors of the quoted or published resources.
- Issue online: 19 MAR 2013
- Version of Record online: 19 MAR 2013
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!