RACE THEORY/ANTHROPOLOGY TODAY
T/RACING BELONGING THROUGH CUBAN TOURISM
Article first published online: 26 JUL 2013
© 2013 by the American Anthropological Association
Volume 28, Issue 3, pages 396–419, August 2013
Total views since publication: 18
How to Cite
ROLAND, L. K. (2013), T/RACING BELONGING THROUGH CUBAN TOURISM. Cultural Anthropology, 28: 396–419. doi: 10.1111/cuan.12011
- Issue published online: 26 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 26 JUL 2013
- 2001 Theorizing Other Discourses of Tourism, Gender and Culture: Can the Subaltern Speak (in Tourism)? Tourist Studies 1(2):133–147.
- 1997 Erotic Autonomy as a Politics of Decolonization: An Anatomy of Feminist and State Practice in the Bahamas Tourist Economy. In Feminist Genealogies, Colonial Legacies, Democratic Futures. M. Jacqui Alexander and Chandra Talpade Mohanty, eds. Pp. 63–100. New York: Routledge.
- 2007 Means of Desire's Production: Male Sex Labor in Cuba. Identities: Global Studies in Culture and Power 14(1–2):183–202.
- 2009 Looking B[l]ack at Revolutionary Cuba. Latin American Perspectives 36(1):53–62.
- 2011 ¡Venceremos? The Erotics of Black Self-Making in Cuba. Durham, NC: Duke University Press.
- 1998 From Savage to Negro: Anthropology and the Construction of Race, 1896–1954. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- 1974 The Dialogic Imagination: Four Essays. Austin: University of Texas Press.
- 1940 Race: Science and Politics. New York: Modern Age Books.
- 1938 The Mind of Primitive Man. New York: Macmillan.
- 2005 Culture on Tour: Ethnographies of Travel. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 2009 Economies of Desire: Sex and Tourism in Cuba and the Dominican Republic. Philadelphia: Temple University Press.
- 1995 Rumba: Dance and Social Change in Contemporary Cuba. Bloomington: Indiana University Press.
- 1971 Neither Black nor White; Slavery and Race Relations in Brazil and the United States. New York: Macmillan.
- 1968  Différance. In Margins of Philosophy. Pp. 1–28. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 1974 Of Grammatology. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.
- 1990 Bananas, Beaches, and Bases: Making Feminist Sense of International Politics. Los Angeles: University of California Press.
- 1996 Race, Romance, and Revolution: The Cultural Politics of Interracial Encounters in Cuba. Ph.D. dissertation, Department of Anthropology, University of California, Berkeley.
- 2010 Revolutionizing Romance: Interracial Couples in Contemporary Cuba. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press.
- 2001 A Nation for All: Race, Inequality, and Politics in Twentieth-Century Cuba. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press.
- 2000 Against Race: Imagining Political Culture Beyond the Color Line. Cambridge, MA: Belknap Press of Harvard University Press.
- 1963 “Race Relations in Miñas Velhas, a Community in the Mountain Region of Central Brazil.” In Race and Class in Rural Brazil. Charles Wagley, ed. Pp. 47–81. New York: UNESCO.
- 1995 The Persistent Power of “Race” in the Cultural and Political Economy of Racism. Annual Review of Anthropology 24:47–74.
- 1998 Introduction: Expanding the Discourse of Race. American Anthropologist 100(3):609–631.
- 1999 Racial Situations: Class Predicaments of Whiteness in Detroit. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- 2005 Culture against Race: Reworking the Basis of Racial Analysis. South Atlantic Quarterly 104(3):543–560.
- 2010 Race in the 21st Century: Ethnographic Approaches. New York: Oxford University Press.
- 2006 Havana's Timba: A Macho Sound for Black Sex. In Globalization and Race: Transformations in the Cultural Production of Blackness. Kamari M. Clarke and Deborah A. Thomas, eds. Pp. 249–278. Durham, NC: Duke University Press.
- 1985 “Race” and Color in the Caribbean. In Caribbean Contours. Sidney Mintz and Sally Price, eds. Pp. 55–84. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.
- 2000 The Problem of Race in the Twenty-first Century. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- 2001 Harlemworld: Doing Race and Class in Contemporary Black America. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 2008 Racial Paranoia: The Unintended Consequences of Political Correctness. New York: Basic Civitas.
- 2003 Appropriating Blackness: Performance and the Politics of Authenticity. Durham, NC: Duke University Press.
- 1976 The Tourist: A New Theory of the Leisure Class. New York: Schocken.
- 1992 Empty Meeting Grounds: The Tourist Papers. New York: Routledge.
- 2005 The Mutual Gaze. Annals of Tourism Research 33(1):221–239.
- 1942 Man's Most Dangerous Myth: The Fallacy of Race. New York: Columbia University Press.
- 1986 Racial Formation in the United States: From the 1960s to the 1980s. New York: Routledge & Kegan Paul. , and
- 2010 The Maids of Havana. Bloomington, IN: AuthorHouse.
- 2004 El Color No Importa? Tourism and Race in Contemporary Cuba. Ph.D. dissertation, Cultural Anthropology, Duke University, Durham, NC.
- 2010 Tourism and the Commodification of Cubanidad. Tourist Studies 10(1):3–18.
- 2011 Cuban Color in Tourism and La Lucha: An Ethnography of Racial Meanings. New York: Oxford University Press.
- 1978 Orientalism. New York: Pantheon.
- 2003 Consuming the Caribbean: From Arawaks to Zombies. New York: Routledge.
- 1974 Black into White: Race and Nationality in Brazilian Thought. New York: Oxford University Press.
- 2001 Hosts and Guests Revisited: Tourism Issues of the 21st Century. New York: Cognizant Communication Corp. , and
- 2009 The Help. New York: Amy Einhorn Books.
- 1994 The Turn-of-the-Century Concept of Race. In Modernism/Modernity 1(1):4–16.
- 1990 The Tourist Gaze: Leisure and Travel in Contemporary Societies. London: Sage.
- 1998 Race and the Culture of Anthropology. American Anthropologist 100(1):70–83.