CULTURAL CITZENSHIP IN THE BLACK ATLANTIC WORLD
NOTES ON CULTURAL CITIZENSHIP IN THE BLACK ATLANTIC WORLD
Article first published online: 26 JUL 2013
© 2013 by the American Anthropological Association
Volume 28, Issue 3, pages 464–474, August 2013
Total views since publication: 42
How to Cite
CLARKE, K. M. (2013), NOTES ON CULTURAL CITIZENSHIP IN THE BLACK ATLANTIC WORLD. Cultural Anthropology, 28: 464–474. doi: 10.1111/cuan.12014
- Issue published online: 26 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 26 JUL 2013
- 2011 Pressure: The PoliTechnics of Water Supply in Mumbai. Cultural Anthropology 26(4):542–563.
- 1987 Borderlands: The New Mestiza. San Francisco: Aunt Lute Books.
- 1996 Modernity at Large: Cultural Dimensions of Globalization. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
- 1994 Nations Unbound: Transnational Projects, Postcolonial Predicaments, and Deterritorialized Nation States. New York: Routledge. , , and
- 2004 The Rights of Others: Aliens, Residents, and Citizens. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Benhabib, Seyla, and Judith Resnik, eds. 2009 Migrations and Mobilities: Citizenship, Borders, and Gender. New York: New York University Press.
- 2008 Sexual Citizenship: Articulating Citizenship, Identity, and the Pursuit of the Good Life in Urban Brazil. PoLAR: Political and Legal Anthropology Review 31(1):118–133.
- 2007 Yoruba Aesthetics and the Making of Trans-Atlantic Imaginaries. In Beautiful/Ugly: African and Diaspora Aesthetics. Sarah Nuttall, ed. Pp. 290–315. Durham, NC: Duke University Press.
- 2006 Globalization and Race: Transformations in the Cultural Production of Blackness. Durham, NC: Duke Press. , and
- 2009 Ethnicity, Inc. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press. , and
- 2009 Extending Political Participation and Citizenship: Pluricultural Practices in Contemporary Bolivia. The Journal of Latin American and Caribbean Anthropology 14(2):432–456. , and
- 2005 Culture, State, and Security in Europe: The Case of Citizenship and Integration Policy in Estonia. American Ethnologist 32(4):676–694.
- 1997 Society Must Be Defended: Lectures at the Collège de France, 1975–1976. New York: St. Martin's.
- Flores, William V., and Rina Benmayor, eds. 1998 Latino Cultural Citizenship: Claiming Identity, Space, and Rights. Boston: Beacon Press.
- 2002 The Racial State. New York: Wiley-Blackwell.
- 1994 Nations Unbound: Transnational Projects, Postcolonial Predicaments and Deterritorialized Nation-States. New York: Routledge. , et al.
- 2005 Transborder Citizenship: An Outcome of Legal Pluralism within Transnational Social Fields. In Mobile People, Mobile Law: Expanding Legal Relations in a Contracting World. Franz von Benda-Beckmann, Keebet von Benda-Beckmann, and Anne Griffiths, eds. Pp. 27–50. Burlington, VT: Ashgate.
- 2012 Transforming Ethnographic Knowledge. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press. , and
- 2002 U.S. Immigration Officers of Mexican Ancestry as Mexican Americans, Citizens, and Immigration Police. Current Anthropology 43(3):479–507.
- 2004 Different Subjects: The Health Care System's Participation in the Differential Construction of the Cultural Citizenship of Cuban Refugees and Mexican Immigrants. Medical Anthropology Quarterly 18(4):472–489.
- 2001 Harlemworld: Doing Race and Class in Contemporary Black America. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 2005 Real Black: Adventures in Racial Sincerity. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 2010 Flexible Citizenship in Dubai: Neoliberal Subjectivity in the Emerging “City-Corporation.” Cultural Anthropology 25(1):100–129.
- 2010 Negotiating Ambivalence: The Social Power of Muslim Community-Based Health Organizations in America. PoLAR: Political and Legal Anthropology Review 33(2):225–244. , and
- 2008 “Demographic Modernity” in Ireland: A Cultural Analysis of Citizenship, Migration, and Fertility. Journal of the Society for the Anthropology of Europe 8(1):5–17.
- 2011 Identity. Current Anthropology 52(4):513–535.
- 2005 Empty Citizenship: Protesting Politics in the Era of Globalization. Cultural Anthropology 20(4):506–533.
- 1996 Cultural Citizenship as Subject-Making: Immigrants Negotiate Racial and Cultural Boundaries in the United States. Cultural Anthropology 37(5):737–762.
- 1999Flexible Citizenship: The Cultural Logics of Transnationality. Durham, NC: Duke University Press.
- 2003 Higher Learning: Educational Availability and Flexible Citizenship in Global Space. In Diversity and Citizenship Education. James A. Banks, ed. Pp. 49–70. New York: Wiley.
- 2006 Neoliberalism as Exception: Mutations in Citizenship and Sovereignty. Durham, NC: Duke University Press.
- Togo, Global Membership and the US Green Card Lottery. Unpublished manuscript.
- 1994 Cultural Citizenship in San Jose, California. PoLAR: Political and Legal Anthropology Review 17(2):57–64.
- Rosaldo, Renato, ed. 2003 Cultural Citizenship in Island and Southeast Asia: Nation and Belonging in the Hinterlands. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- 1991 The Global City: New York, London, Tokyo. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- 1996 Losing Control? Sovereignty in an Age of Globalization. New York: Columbia University Press.
- 1998 Globalization and Its Discontents: Essays on the New Mobility of People and Money. New York: The New Press.
- 2006 Territory, Authority, Rights: From Medieval to Global Assemblages. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- 1995 Talking Culture: New Boundaries, New Rhetorics of Exclusion in Europe. Current Anthropology 36(1):1–24.
- 1999 New Rhetorics of Exclusion in Europe. International Social Science Journal. 51(159):25–35.
- 1987 Caribbean Life in New York City: Sociocultural Dimensions. New York: Center for Migration Studies. , and
- 2004 Modern Blackness: Nationalism, Globalization and the Politics of Culture in Jamaica. Durham, NC: Duke University Press.