Coralie Ober RN, ADipTeaching, ADip Community Welfare & Development Research Fellow, Kaeleen Dingle RN, BEd, MPH (TropHlth), PhD, Senior Lecturer in Epidemiology, Alexandra Clavarino BA (Hons), PhD, Associate Professor, Jake M. Najman BA (Hons), PhD, Director of QADREC, Professor of Sociology, Rosa Alati BA (Hons), Grad Dip (Aboriginal Studies) Master AppSc (Rsrch), PhD, Associate Professor and NHMRC Research Fellow, Edward B. Heffernan BSc (Hons), MB BS, MPH, FRANZCP, Director, Senior Lecturer.
Validating a screening tool for mental health and substance use risk in an Indigenous prison population
Version of Record online: 27 JUN 2013
© 2013 Australasian Professional Society on Alcohol and other Drugs
Drug and Alcohol Review
Volume 32, Issue 6, pages 611–617, November 2013
How to Cite
Ober, C., Dingle, K., Clavarino, A., Najman, J. M., Alati, R. and Heffernan, E. B. (2013), Validating a screening tool for mental health and substance use risk in an Indigenous prison population. Drug and Alcohol Review, 32: 611–617. doi: 10.1111/dar.12063
- Issue online: 12 NOV 2013
- Version of Record online: 27 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 1 DEC 2012
- Mental Health Alcohol and Other Drugs Directorate
- Queensland Health
- National Health and Medical Research Council Career Development Fellowship L2. Grant Number: APP1012485
- 1Australian Bureau of Statistics. Prisoners in Australia (Cat. 4517.0). Canberra: ABS, 2011.
- 2Australian Bureau of Statistics. Population distribution, aboriginal and torres strait islander Australians (ABS Cat. No. 4705.0.). Canberra: ABS, 2007.
- 3Australian Bureau of Statistics. 2007 National Survey of Mental Health and Wellbeing: summary of results (Cat. No.4326.0). Canberra: Australian Bureau of Statistics, 2008.
- 8Counting the cost: estimating the number of deaths among recently released prisoners in Australia. Med J Aust 2011;195:64–68., , , et al.
- 92009 nsw inmate health survey: aboriginal health report. Sydney: Justice Health, 2010., , , .
- 10Review of Indigenous offender health. Aust Indigenous Health Bull 2011;11:1–23., , , , .
- 11Ways forward: national Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander mental health policy. Canberra: ACT, 1995., .
- 12The Insidious problem inside: mental health problems of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People in custody. Australas Psychiatry 2009;17:S41–46., , .
- 15World Health Organisation. Composite international diagnostic interview (CIDI) version 2.1. Geneva: WHO, 1992.
- 16NHMRC. Values and ethics—guidelines for ethical conduct in aboriginal and torres strait islander health research. Canberra: Commonwealth of Australia, 2003.
- 17Analysis of data on the accuracy of diagnostic tests. In: Knottnerus JA , Buntinx F , eds. The evidence base of clinical diagnosis: theory and methods of diagnostic research. West Sussex: Blackwell Publishing Ltd, 2009:118–145., , , .
- 18Use of the Westerman Aboriginal Symptoms Checklist – Youth (WASC-Y) to screen for mental health problems in Indigenous youth in custody. Adv Ment Health 2012;10:235–239., , , , , .
- 21National Indigenous Drug and Alcohol Committee. Bridges and barriers: addressing Indigenous incarceration and health. Canberra, ACT: Australian National Council on Drugs, 2009.
- 22The westerman aboriginal symptoms checklist-youth (WASC-Y). A measure to identify aboriginal youth at risk of suicidal behaviours, depression, anxiety and the effects of culture on risk status. Perth: Indigenous Psychological Services, 2003..
- 23Mental illness among new south wales' prisoners. Sydney: NSW Corrections Health Service, 2003., .
- 26Commonwealth of Australia. Fourth national mental health plan—an agenda for collaborative government action in mental health 2009–2014. Canberra, ACT: Commonwealth of Australia, 2009.