KS Kylie Lee PhD BMus(Hons), NHMRC Postdoctoral Fellow in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Health, Angela Dawson PhD BA(Hons), Research Fellow, Katherine M Conigrave FAChAM FAFPHM PhD, Addiction Medicine Specialist and Professor.
The role of an Aboriginal women's group in meeting the high needs of clients attending outpatient alcohol and other drug treatment
Article first published online: 23 AUG 2013
© 2013 Australasian Professional Society on Alcohol and other Drugs
Drug and Alcohol Review
Volume 32, Issue 6, pages 618–626, November 2013
How to Cite
Lee, K. S. K., Dawson, A. and Conigrave, K. M. (2013), The role of an Aboriginal women's group in meeting the high needs of clients attending outpatient alcohol and other drug treatment. Drug and Alcohol Review, 32: 618–626. doi: 10.1111/dar.12068
- Issue published online: 12 NOV 2013
- Article first published online: 23 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 26 FEB 2013
- a National Health and Medical Research Council Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health
- 1Australian National Council on Drugs. Indigenous-specific alcohol and other drug interventions: continuities, changes and areas of greatest need: a report prepared for the National Indigenous Drug and Alcohol Committee. Canberra: Australian National Council on Drugs, 2010. Available at: http://www.ancd.org.au/images/PDF/Researchpapers/rp20_indigenous.pdf (accessed 30 August 2010).
- 2Ministerial Council on Drug Strategy. National Drug Strategy Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples Complementary Action Plan 2003–2009 (Background Paper). Canberra: Commonwealth of Australia, 2006. Available at: http://www.health.gov.au/internet/drugstrategy/publishing.nsf/Content/545C92F95DF8C76ACA257162000DA780/$File/indigenous-background.pdf (accessed 11 May 2011).
- 3Indigenous Health—Australia, Canada, Aotearoa New Zealand and the United States—Laying claim to a future that embraces health for us all. World Health Report (2010). Background paper 33. Geneva: World Health Organisation, Health Systems Financing, 2010. Available at: http://www.who.int/healthsystems/topics/financing/healthreport/33IH.pdf (accessed 1 March 2013)., , , et al.
- 4Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. The health and welfare of Australia's Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people an overview 2011 (Cat. No. IHW 42). Canberra: AIHW, 2011. Available at: http://www.aihw.gov.au/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=10737418955&libID=10737418954 (accessed 29 June 2011).
- 5National Indigenous Drug and Alcohol Committee. Bridges and barriers: addressing Indigenous incarceration and health. Canberra: Australian National Council on Drugs, 2009. Available at:; http://www.nidac.org.au/images/PDFs/nidac_bridges_and_barriers.pdf (accessed 29 June 2011).
- 6Ways forward: National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander mental health policy national consultancy report. Canberra: Commonwealth of Australia, 1995. Available at: http://www.health.gov.au/internet/wcms/Publishing.nsf/Content/8AE2DAC350E39315CA257276001CAACA/$File/wayforw.pdf (accessed 14 May 2008)., .
- 7Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Alcohol and other drug treatment services in Australia 2010-11: report on the National Minimum Data Set. Drug Treatment Series no. 18. Cat. No. HSE 128. Canberra: AIHW, 2012. Available at: http://www.ancd.org.au/images/PDF/NationalData/NMD2010-11.pdf (accessed 20 November 2012).
- 8Indigenous-specific alcohol and other drug interventions: continuities, changes and areas of greatest need: a report prepared for the National Indigenous Drug and Alcohol Committee (No ANCD Research Paper 20). Canberra: Australian National Council on Drugs, 2010. Available at: http://www.ancd.org.au/images/PDF/Researchpapers/rp20_indigenous.pdf (accessed 30 August 2010)., , , .
- 10SMART Recovery: self-empowering, science-based addiction recovery support. J Groups Addict Recover 2012;7:102–117., .
- 14Cumberlands Women's Health Centre Inc. Dyin Caribere Aboriginal women's gathering (2012). Available at: http://www.cwhc.org.au/index.php/aboriginal-womens-gathering. (accessed 23 January 2012).
- 15Murrumbidgee Health Local Health District. Aboriginal women's support in Queanbeyan (2010). Available at: http://www.mlhd.health.nsw.gov.au/snswlhd/newsroom/GSAHS-Archive/aboriginal-womens-support-in-queanbeyan.asp (accessed January 2013).
- 16Lee K , Freeburn B , Ella S , Miller W , Perry J , Conigrave KM , eds. Handbook for aboriginal alcohol and drug work. Sydney: University of Sydney, 2012.
- 17The grog book: strengthening indigenous community action on alcohol (Revised edition). Canberra: Australian Government and Australian National University, 2005..
- 18Australian Government. Alcohol treatment guidelines for Indigenous Australians. Canberra: Australian Government, 2007.
- 20‘Doing good things for men’: Ma'Ddaimba-Balas indigenous men's group evaluation report 2004-2005. Cairns: School of Australian Studies, James Cook University, 2006. Available at: http://eprints.jcu.edu.au/10652/1/10652_McCalman_2006.pdf (accessed 8 November 2012)., , , et al.
- 23The Alcohol Awareness project: community education and brief intervention in an urban Aboriginal setting. Health Promot J Austr 2012;23:219–225., , , et al.
- 26I want to be heard—an analysis of needs of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander illegal drug users in the ACT and region for treatment and other services. Canberra: Australian National University and Winnunga Nimmityjah Aboriginal Health Service, 2005. Available at: http://nceph.anu.edu.au/Publications/Indig_docs/Embargo/I_want_to_be_heard_community_report.pdf (accessed 10 July 2009)., , , .
- 32Qualitative research methods for health professionals, 2nd edn. London: Sage Publications, 1995., .
- 33The discovery of grounded theory: strategies for qualitative research. Chicago: Aldine Publishing Company, 1967., .
- 34Guidelines for the treatment of alcohol problems. Canberra: Australian Government Department of Health and Ageing, 2009. Available at: http://www.health.gov.au/internet/alcohol/publishing.nsf/Content/33F1F1299AD53EA3CA257693001776BE/$File/treatgde.pdf (accessed 16 May 2011)., , , .
- 38Benelong's Haven: recovery from alcohol and drug use within an Aboriginal Australian residential treatment centre. Melbourne: Melbourne University Press, 2007..
- 39Enhancing resilience in Indigenous people: the integration of individual, family and community interventions. Aborig Isl Health Work J 1999;23:6–10., , , .
- 40Mentoring 2: a program for ‘at risk’ Indigenous youth. Youth Stud Aust 2005;24:45–49., .
- 41A place for healing: achieving health for Aboriginal women in an urban context. Can J Native Stud 2001;21:1–25., .
- 42A literature review for Indigenous men's groups. 0 86443 756 10. Cairns: School of Indigenous Australian Studies and School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, James Cook University, 2006. Available at: http://eprints.jcu.edu.au/10647/ (accessed 8 November 2012)., , , et al.
- 43Public Health Advocacy Institute of Western Australia. The West Australian Indigenous Storybook: celebrating & sharing good news stories (2011). (accessed January 2013).
- 44Australian Indigenous HealthInfoNet. Smart recovery (2012). Available at: http://www.healthinfonet.ecu.edu.au/key-resources/programs-projects?pid=552 (accessed 8 February 2012).
- 46How successful are women's groups in health promotion and disease prevention? A synthesis of the literature and recommendations for developing countries. East Mediterr Health J 2011;17:446–452., .
- 47World Health Organisation. Declaration of Alma-Ata, In: International Conference on Primary Health Care. Geneva: WHO, 1978.
- 48The role of empowerment through life skills development in building comprehensive primary health care systems in Indigenous Australia. Aust J Prim Health 2005;11:16–25., , , et al.
- 49The solid facts: the social determinants of health. Health Promot J Austr 1999;9:133–139..
- 52The alcohol concern: SMART Recovery pilot project, final evaluation report. UK: Middlesex University Drug and Alcohol Research Group, 2010. Available at: http://www.alcohollearningcentre.org.uk/_library/Alcohol_Concern_SMART_Project_-_Final_Evaluation_Report_2010.pdf (accessed 8 February 2013)., .