Smokeless tobacco consumption in the South Asian population of Sydney, Australia: prevalence, correlates and availability
Article first published online: 20 NOV 2013
© 2013 Australasian Professional Society on Alcohol and other Drugs
Drug and Alcohol Review
Volume 33, Issue 1, pages 86–92, January 2014
How to Cite
Hossain, M. S., Kypri, K., Rahman, B. and Milton, A. H. (2014), Smokeless tobacco consumption in the South Asian population of Sydney, Australia: prevalence, correlates and availability. Drug and Alcohol Review, 33: 86–92. doi: 10.1111/dar.12074
- Issue published online: 9 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 20 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 1 APR 2013
- University of Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
- 1World Health Organization. Tobacco (Fact sheet No. 339). Geneva: World Health Organization, 2013.
- 2An overview of the tobacco problem in India. Indian J Med Paediatr Oncol 2012;33:139–145., , .
- 3World Health Organization. The global tobacco epidemic. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2011.
- 4World Health Organization. Global status report on noncommunicable diseases. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2010.
- 6U.S. National Cancer Institute, World Health Organization, U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Danya International. International Smokeless Tobacco Symposium. Final report. Bethesda, MD: U.S. National Cancer Institute, 2009.
- 7World Health Organization. Report on oral tobacco use and its implications in South-East Asia. New York: World Health Organization, 2004.
- 8International Agency for Research on Cancer. Smokeless tobacco and some tobacco-specific N-nitrosamines. IARC Monogr Eval Carcinog Risks Hum 2007;89:1–592.
- 14Systematic review of the health effects of modified smokeless tobacco products. Christchurch, New Zealand: Department of Public Health and General Practice, Christchurch School of Medicine and Health Sciences, 2007..
- 16Culturally specific tobacco use and South Asians in the United States: a review of the literature and promising strategies for intervention. Health Promot Pract 2013;14(5 Suppl):48S–60S., .
- 17World Health Organization. Global Adult Tobacco Survey: Bangladesh report 2009. Dhaka: World Health Organization, 2009.
- 18World Health Organization. Global Adult Tobacco Survey (GATS): India. Mumbai: International Institute for Population Science, 2010.
- 25Prevalence and determinants of tobacco use in a highly literate rural community in southern India. Natl Med J India 2008;21:163–165., , .
- 27Chewing of betel, areca and tobacco: perceptions and knowledge regarding their role in head and neck cancers in an urban squatter settlement in Pakistan. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 2006;7:95–100., , , et al.
- 29Tobacco use among school personnel in eight North-eastern states of India. Indian J Cancer 2003;40:3–14., , .
- 32A study on prevalence of smoking and tobacco chewing among adolescents in rural areas of Jamnagar district, Gujarat state. J Med Sci Res 2007;1:47–49., , .