Patient-centred tobacco management
Article first published online: 20 NOV 2013
© 2013 Australasian Professional Society on Alcohol and other Drugs
Drug and Alcohol Review
Volume 33, Issue 1, pages 93–98, January 2014
How to Cite
Gould, G. S. (2014), Patient-centred tobacco management. Drug and Alcohol Review, 33: 93–98. doi: 10.1111/dar.12082
- Issue published online: 9 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 20 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 3 SEP 2013
- 1The burden of disease and injury in Australia 2003. Cat. no. PHE 82. Canberra: Australian Institute for Health and Welfare, 2007., , , , , .
- 3Congruencies in increased mortality rates, years of potential life lost, and causes of death among public mental health clients in eight states. Prev Chronic Dis 2006;3:1–14., .
- 4Undertreatment of tobacco use relative to other chronic conditions. Am J Public Health 2013;103:E59–65., , , , .
- 5Combined pharmacotherapy and behavioural interventions for smoking cessation. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012;(10):CD008286., .
- 6The smoking paradox: why is Australia's biggest killer being neglected?: Australian Medical Association, 2013. Available at: https://ama.com.au/ausmed/smoking-paradox-why-australia%E2%80%99s-biggest-killer-being-neglected (updated 12 August 2013; accessed August 2013)..
- 8Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Risk factors contributing to chronic disease. Cat No. PHE 157. Canberra: AIHW, 2012.
- 12Chapter 8. Tobacco use among Aboriginal peoples and Torres Strait Islanders. In: Scollo MM and Winstanley MH , eds. Tobacco in Australia: facts and issues, 4th edn. Melbourne: Cancer Council Victoria, 2012 Section 8.1. Available at: http://www.tobaccoinaustralia.org.au/chapter-8-aptsi (updated September 2011; cited September 2013)., , .
- 19RANZCP. Patient-Centred Care: improving quality and safety by focusing care on patients and consumers. Submission to the Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care Discussion Paper. Melbourne: The Royal Australia and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists, 2010.
- 22Interventions for providers to promote a patient-centred approach in clinical consultations. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2001;(4):CD003267., , , ,
- 23Patient-centered medicine: transforming the clinical method, Second edn. Abingdon: Radcliffe Medical Press, 2003., , , , , .
- 30NICE. Tobacco: harm-reduction approaches to smoking: NICE public health guidance 45. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), 2013.
- 32'Cut down to quit' with nicotine replacement therapies in smoking cessation: a systematic review of effectiveness and economic analysis. Health Technol Assess 2008;12:iii–iv, ix–xi, 1–135., , , , , .
- 36Nicotine therapy sampling to induce quit attempts among smokers unmotivated to quit: a randomized clinical trial. Arch Intern Med 2011;171:1901–1907., , , , , .
- 39Time to first cigarette in the morning as an index of ability to quit smoking: implications for nicotine dependence. Nicotine Tob Res 2007;9(Suppl. 4):S555–570., , , et al.
- 42Supporting smoking cessation: a guide for health professionals. Melbourne: The Royal Australian College of General Practitioners, 2011., , , et al.
- 43A combination nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) Algorithm for hard-to-treat smokers. J Smok Cessat 2006;1:3–6..
- 44Optimising nicotine replacement therapy in clinical practice. Aust Fam Physician 2013;42:305–309..
- 48Carbon monoxide meter: the essential clinical tool- the ‘stethoscope'-of smoking cessation. J Smoking Cessation 2008;3:69–70..