Daniel M. Rodriguez BSc-Psych (Hons), Research Assistant, Maree Teesson PhD, Professor, Nicola C. Newton PhD, Senior Research fellow.
A systematic review of computerised serious educational games about alcohol and other drugs for adolescents
Version of Record online: 12 DEC 2013
© 2013 Australasian Professional Society on Alcohol and other Drugs
Drug and Alcohol Review
Volume 33, Issue 2, pages 129–135, March 2014
How to Cite
Rodriguez, D. M., Teesson, M. and Newton, N. C. (2014), A systematic review of computerised serious educational games about alcohol and other drugs for adolescents. Drug and Alcohol Review, 33: 129–135. doi: 10.1111/dar.12102
- Issue online: 4 MAR 2014
- Version of Record online: 12 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Received: 17 OCT 2013
- Department of Health
- Australian National Health and Medical Research Council Centres of Research Excellence in Mental Health and Substance Use
- research fellowship
- 1The costs of tobacco, alcohol and illicit drug abuse to Australian society in 2004/05. Canberra: Department of Health (Australia), 2008., .
- 2Canberra: AIHW, 2007., , , , . The burden of disease and injury in Australia 2003.
- 4Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. 2010 National Drug Strategy Household Survey report. Canberra: AIHW, 2011.
- 5Australian secondary school students' use of tobacco, alcohol, and over-the-counter and illicit substances in 2011. Melbourne: Centre for Behavioural Research in Cancer, Cancer Council Victoria, 2012., .
- 12Video-arcade game, computer game and Internet activities of Australian students: participation habits and prevalence of addiction. Aust J Psychol 2009;59–66., .
- 16The methodology of designing serious games for children and adolescents focused on psychological goals. In: Piętka E , Kawa J , eds. Information technologies in biomedicine. Berlin and Heidelberg: Springer. 2012:245–255., , .
- 19Videogame aesthetics and e-learning: a retro-looking computer game to explain the normal distribution in statistics teaching. In: Connolly TSM , ed. 2nd European Conference on Games-Based Learning. Reading, UK: Academic Publishing Limited, 2008..
- 23Online vocabulary games as a tool for teaching and learning English vocabulary. Educ Media Int 2006;43:233–249., .
- 27The SIMs meet ESL: incorporating authentic computer simulation games into the language classroom. Interact Techn Smart Edu 2006;3:311–328., .
- 29Videogames and wellbeing: a comprehensive review. Sydney: Young and Well Cooperative Research Centre, 2013., , .
- 33Learning to play or playing to learn—a critical account of the models of communication informing educational research on computer gameplay. 2006; Available at: http://gamestudies.org/0601/articles/arnseth (accessed March 2013).
- 35The role of psychology in understanding the impact of computer games. Entertain Comput 2011;2:69–74., , .
- 43Application of interactive, computer technology to adolescent substance abuse prevention and treatment. Adolesc Med State Art Rev 2007;18:342–356, xii., , .