Section Editor Prof. Dr. Jan C. Simon, Leipzig
Therapy of pathological scars
Version of Record online: 18 OCT 2013
© The Author | Journal compilation © Blackwell Verlag GmbH, Berlin
JDDG: Journal der Deutschen Dermatologischen Gesellschaft
Volume 11, Issue 12, pages 1139–1157, December 2013
How to Cite
Wagner, J. A. (2013), Therapy of pathological scars. JDDG: Journal der Deutschen Dermatologischen Gesellschaft, 11: 1139–1157. doi: 10.1111/ddg.12209
58.6 million Germans have scars – 10.6 million wish they did not have them.
It is impossible, after the fetal stage, to restore the skin to its original condition.
Wound healing depends on many endogenous and exogenous factors.
Keloids are lesions in which the scar tissue grows beyond the wound bed.
Unlike keloids, hypertrophic scars can also resolve spontaneously.
Distinguishing them clinically is sometimes difficult.
Scars with contour problems are often perceived as cosmetically disturbing by patients.
Before treating any scar, the scar type should be diagnosed.
In addition to subjective parameters and systems, scars may also be measured objectively.
Given that each individual scar is different, it is impossible to make recommendations for a standard therapy.
In most instances, combination therapy is advisable.
Surgical planning with diverse surgical techniques is paramount for good healing of the scar.
Along with reducing symptoms, the goal of scar treatment is to minimize volume and color.
In surgical correction of pathological scars as monotherapy, depending on the type of scar, a higher rate of recurrence may be expected.
- Issue online: 24 NOV 2013
- Version of Record online: 18 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 18 JUN 2013
- 2Entzündung und Immunreaktion. In: Böcker W, Denk H, Heitz PhU: Pathologie. München: Urban & Fischer, 2001., , et al.
- 4T-lymphocytes in tendon adhesions and hypertrophic scarring VDM Verlag Dr. Mueller, Saarbrücken, 2008..
- 9Chirurgie der Narben. CHAZ 2009; 10: 17–28., .
- 11A review of scar scales and scar measuring devices. Eplasty 2010; 10: e43., , , .
- 12Keloide und hypertrophe Narben. Haut 2012; 23: 240–6.,
- 18Treatment of keloids and hypertrophic scars with the triple-mode Er:YAG laser: A pilot study, Med Laser Appl 2011; 26: 10–5., , et al.
- 19Dermatologische Lasertherapie: Fraktionale Laser, Band 1, Berlin, KVM, 2011., , .
- 20Fraktionale Laser: Wunsch und Wirklichkeit. Akt Dermatol 2013; 39(07): 257–62..
- 23Local anesthesia in dermatology. J Dtsch Dermatol Ges 2010; 8: 1007–18., , , .