Environmental Mis-Assessment, Development and Mining in Orissa, India
Article first published online: 14 JAN 2013
© 2013 International Institute of Social Studies
Development and Change
Volume 44, Issue 1, pages 101–123, January 2013
How to Cite
Bedi, H. P. (2013), Environmental Mis-Assessment, Development and Mining in Orissa, India. Development and Change, 44: 101–123. doi: 10.1111/dech.12000
- Issue published online: 14 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 14 JAN 2013
- Amnesty International (2010) ‘Don't Mine Us Out of Existence: Bauxite Mine and Refinery Devastate Lives in India’. London : Amnesty International.
- 2005) ‘Unsettling: The Reality of Resettlement in Orissa’, Down to Earth 15 August. and (
- 2008) ‘Contention and Ambiguity: Mining and the Possibilities of Development’, Development and Change 39(6): 887–914. , , , and (
- 2009) ‘Industrialisation for the People, by the People, of the People’, Economic and Political Weekly 44(1): 10–13. and (
- 2002) ‘The Status of Women Affected by Mining in India’, in Anon (ed.) Women and Mining: A Resource Kit , pp. 20–24. New Delhi : Delhi Forum. (
- 2008) ‘Rich Lands Poor People: Is “Sustainable” Mining Possible?’. Report. New Delhi : Centre for Science and Environment. and (
- 2002) ‘Beyond the Square Wheel: Toward a More Comprehensive Understanding of Biodiversity Conservation as Social and Political Process’, Society and Natural Resources 15(1): 41–64. , , and (
- 2003) Contested Nature: Promoting International Biodiversity with Social Justice in the Twenty-first Century . Albany , NY : SUNY Press. , , and (eds) (
- Central Empowered Committee (2005) ‘Vedanta Alumina Project in Lanjigarh, Orissa. (Report into IA No. 1324.)’. New Delhi : Honourable Supreme Court of India.
- 2000) ‘Impoverishment Risks and Reconstruction: A Model for Population Displacement and Resettlement’, in M.M. Cernea and C. McDowell (eds) Risks and Reconstruction: Experiences of Resettlers and Refugees , pp. 11–55. Washington , DC : The World Bank. (
- 2004) ‘Impoverishment Risks, Risk Management, and Reconstruction: A Model of Population Displacement and Resettlement’. Paper presented to the UN Symposium on Hydropower and Sustainable Development, Beijing (27–29 October). (
- 2008) ‘Reforming the Foundations of Involuntary Resettlement: Introduction’, in M.M. Cernea and H.M. Mathur (eds) Can Compensation Prevent Impoverishment? Reforming Resettlement through Investments and Benefit-Sharing , pp. 1–11. Oxford : Oxford University Press. (
- 2011) ‘A Lot of Scepticism and Some Hope’, Economic and Political Weekly 46(41): 29–31. (
- 2004) Tribal Identity: Continuity and Change among Kondhs of Orissa . New Delhi : Rawat. (
- 2002) ‘The World Bank and Human Rights: The Need for Greater Accountability’, Harvard Human Rights Journal 15: 205–26. (
- 2010) ‘Dutch Pension Fund Exits Vedanta on Ethical Grounds’, The Wall Street Journal 7 July. (
- 2008) ‘Development Projects and Displaced Women’, in H.M. Mathur (ed.) India Social Development Report 2008: Development and Displacement , pp. 127–41. New Delhi and Oxford : Oxford University Press. (
- 2009) Mainstreaming Gender into Extractive Industries Projects: Guidance Note for Task Team Leaders . Washington , DC : The World Bank. , and (
- Environmental Law Alliance Worldwide (2010) Guidebook for Evaluating Mining Project EIAs . Eugene , OR : ELAW.
- 1990) The Anti-Politics Machine: ‘Development’, Depoliticization, and Bureaucratic Power in Lesotho . Cambridge : Cambridge University Press. (
- 2002) ‘From Wreck Cove to Voisey's Bay: The Evolution of Federal Environmental Assessment in Canada’, Impact Assessment and Project Appraisal 20(3): 151–59. (
- Global Experts (2008) ‘REIA & EMP Report of Expansion of Alumina Refinery from 1 MMTPA to 6 MMTPA Capacity’. http://www.cseindia.org/userfiles/EIA%20Report%20of%206-TPA%20alumina%20refinery.pdf
- 2007) ‘Utkal Bauxite and Alumina Project: Human Rights and Environmental Impacts’. Washington , DC : Business and Human Rights Resource Center. (
- Government of Orissa (2006) ‘Orissa Resettlement and Rehabilitation Policy 2006’, in Department of Resettlement and Rehabilitation (ed.) The Orissa Gazette , pp. 313–22. Bhubaneshwar : Government of India.
- 2011) ‘A Nation Consumed by the State’, Outlook 31 January. http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?270136 (
- 2011) The State in India after Liberalization . London and New York : Routledge. and (eds) (
- 2005) ‘Poverty, Disparities, or the Development of Underdevelopment in Orissa’, Economic and Political Weekly XL(22–23): 2321–29. and (
- 2007) ‘Towards a Just Displacement and Rehabilitation Policy’, Economic and Political Weekly 42(30): 3103–07. (
- 2006) ‘Politics of Economic Growth in India, 1980–2005. Part II: The 1990s and Beyond’, Economic and Political Weekly XLI(14): 1361–70. (
- 2009) Democracy and Development in India . Oxford and New Delhi : Oxford University Press. (
- 2006) ‘Bridging the Gap between Theory and Practice in Integrated Assessment’, Environmental Impact Assessment Review 26(1): 57–78. (
- 2007) ‘Extracting Corporate Responsibility: Towards a Human Rights Impact Assessment’, Cornell International Law Journal 135(40): 136–69. , and (
- 1997) Tribal Language and Culture of Orissa . Bhubaneshwar : Academy of Tribal Dialects and Culture. (ed.) (
- 2008) ‘Mining Coal, Undermining People: Compensation Policies and Practices of Coal India’, in M.M. Cernea and H.M. Mathur (eds) Can Compensation Prevent Impoverishment? Reforming Resettlement through Investments and Benefit-Sharing , pp. 261–78. Oxford : Oxford University Press. (
- MOEF (Ministry of Environment and Forests) (1994) ‘Environmental Impact Assessment Notification (Vol. Incorporating Amendments made on 04/05/1994, 10/04/1997, 27/1/2000, 13/12/2000, 01/08/2001 and 21/11/2001, pp. Incorporating amendments made on 04/05/1994, 1910/1904/1997, 1927/1991/2000, 1913/1912/2000, 1901/1908/2001 and 1921/1911/2001)’. New Delhi : Government of India.
- MOEF (Ministry of Environment and Forests) (2006) ‘Environmental Impact Assessment Notification, 2006 (Vol. Part-II, Section 3, Sub-section [ii])’. New Delhi : Government of India.
- MOEF (Ministry of Environment and Forests) (2009) ‘Instructions for the Environmental Consultants: Memorandum’. New Delhi : Government of India.
- MOEF (Ministry of Environment and Forests) (2010) ‘Decision on Grant of Forest Clearance in Kalahandi and Rayagada Districts of Orissa for the Proposal Submitted by the Orissa Mining Corporation (OMC) for Bauxite Mining in Lanjigarh Bauxite Mines’. New Delhi : Government of India.
- 2009) ‘Vedanta Unit Sesa Goa under Fraud Investigation’, Reuters 29 October. http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSBOM21893420091029 (accessed 1 August 2010) and (
- 2008) Cultural Genocide: The Real Impact of Development-induced Displacement . New Delhi and Oxford : Oxford University Press. and (eds) (
- 2006) ‘EIA Practice in India and its Evaluation Using SWOT Analysis’, Environmental Impact Assessment Review 26(5): 492–510. (
- 2004) ‘Exploring the lmpact of Chromite Mining on Women Mineworkers and the Women of Sukinda Valley, Orissa: A Narrative’, in S. Krishna (ed.) Livelihood and Gender: Equity in Community Resource Management , pp. 214–25. New Delhi : Sage Publications. (
- People's Union for Democratic Rights (PUDR) (2005) ‘Halting the Mining Juggernaut: People's Struggles against Alumina Projects in Orissa’. New Delhi : People's Union for Democratic Rights.
- 2010) ‘India Forms New Panel to Study Proposed Vedanta Mine’, Bloomberg Businessweek 30 June. (
- 2006) ‘Kashipur: An Enquiry into Mining and Human Rights Violations in Kashipur, Orissa. Report of the Indian People's Tribunal on Environment and Human Rights’. New Delhi : Indian People's Tribunal on Environment and Human Rights. (
- 2006) ‘Development-induced Displacement: Problems, Policies, and People’, in C.J. De Wet (ed.) Policy Practices in Development-induced Displacement and Rehabilitation , pp. 38–70. New York : Berghahn Books. , and (
- 2011) ‘The Impossibility of Just Land Acquisition’, Economic and Political Weekly 46(41): 35–38. (
- 2010) ‘Report of the Four Member Committee for Investigation into the Proposal Submitted by the Orissa Mining Company for Bauxite Mining in Niyamgiri’. New Delhi : Ministry of Environment and Forests, Government of India. , , and (
- 2007) Globalisation and Development . New Delhi : National Book Trust. (
- 2007) ‘Enclave Space: A New Metageography of Development?’, Area 39(3): 331–39. (
- 2008) ‘Resources Policies and Small-scale Gold Mining in Zimbabwe’, Resources Policy 34(1–2): 39–44. (
- Sterlite Industries (India) Limited (2003) ‘Revised Executive Summary of Rapid EIA Report for Lanjigarh Bauxite Mining Project, Kalahandi’. Tuticorin , Tamil Nadu: Sterlite Industries (India).
- 2006) ‘Situation of Tribal Women in India’, in National Alliance of Women (ed.) India Second NGO Shadow Report on CEDAW , pp. 199–205. Secunderabad : National Alliance of Women. and (
- Tata AIG Risk Management Services Ltd. (2002a) ‘Rapid Environmental Impact Assessment Report for 1.0 MTPA Alumina Refinery and 75 MW Captive Power Plant proposed by Sterlite Industries (India) Ltd. at Lanjigarh, Kalahandi, Orissa’. Mumbai : Tata AIG Risk Management Services Ltd.
- Tata AIG Risk Management Services Ltd. (2002b) ‘Rapid Envrionmental Impact Assessment Report for Bauxite Mine Proposed by Sterlite Industries Ltd. near Lanjigarh, Orissa’. Mumbai : Tata AIG Risk Management Services Ltd.
- 2002) ‘Conceptualising Social Impacts’, Environmental Impact Assessment Review 22(3): 183–211. (
- Vedanta Resources (2010) ‘About Us’, Vedanta Resources Website. http://www.vedantaresources.com/about-us.aspx (accessed 7 July 2010).
- Vimta Labs Ltd. (2005a) ‘Comprehensive EIA for the 1.0 MTPA Alumina Refinery and Cative Power Plant at Lanjugarh, Kalahandi District, Orissa’. Hyderabad : Vimta Labs Ltd.
- Vimta Labs Ltd. (2005b) ‘Rapid Environmental Impact Assessment for the Proposed Bauxite Mines (3110 mtpa) at Lanjigarh, Kalahandi District, Orissa’. Hyderabad : Vimta Labs Ltd.
- World Bank (2001) ‘The World Bank Operational Manual, Operational Policy on Involuntary Resettlement’. Washington , DC : The World Bank.