Version of Record online: 15 MAY 2013
© 2013 International Institute of Social Studies
Development and Change
Volume 44, Issue 3, pages 705–725, May 2013
How to Cite
Biekart, K. and Gasper, D. (2013), Robert Chambers. Development and Change, 44: 705–725. doi: 10.1111/dech.12025
- Issue online: 15 MAY 2013
- Version of Record online: 15 MAY 2013
REFERENCES AND FURTHER READING
- ActionAid International (2006) ALPS Accountability, Learning, and Planning Systems. Johannesburg: ActionAid International.
- 2007) ‘Seeds of Success are Seeds of Potential Failure: Learning from the Evolution of Reflect’, in K. Brock and J. Pettit (eds) Springs of Participation, pp. 15–28. London: ITDG Publications. (
- 1969) Settlement Schemes in Tropical Africa: A Study of Organisations and Development. London: Routledge and Kegan Paul. (
- Chambers, R. and J. Moris (eds) (1973) Mwea: An Irrigated Rice Settlement in Kenya. Munich: IFO-Institut Wirtschaftsforschung München Afrika-Studien and Humanities Press.
- 1974) Managing Rural Development: Ideas and Experiences from East Africa. Uppsala: Scandinavian Institute of African Studies. (
- 1978) ‘Project Selection for Poverty-focused Rural Development: Simple is Optimal’, World Development 6(2): 209–19. (
- 1981) Seasonal Dimensions to Rural Poverty. London: Frances Pinter. , and (
- 1983) Rural Development: Putting the Last First. Harlow: Longman. (
- 1988) Managing Canal Irrigation: Practical Analysis from South Asia. New Delhi: Oxford and IBH Publishing. (
- 1989) ‘Trees to Meet Contingencies: Savings and Security for the Rural Poor’, World Development 17(3): 329–432. and (
- 1989) Farmer First: Farmer Innovation and Agricultural Research. London: Intermediate Technology Publications. , and (
- 1991) ‘Complexity, Diversity and Competence: Toward Sustainable Livelihood from Farming Systems in the 21st Century’, Journal of the Asian Farming Systems Association 1: 78–89. (
- 1993) Challenging the Professions: Frontiers for Rural Development. London: Intermediate Technology Publications. (
- 1997) Whose Reality Counts? Putting the First Last. London: Intermediate Technology Publications. (
- 2002) Participatory Workshops: A Sourcebook of 21 Sets of Ideas & Activities. London: Earthscan. (
- 2005) ‘Critical Reflections of a Development Nomad’, in U. Kothari (ed.) A Radical History of Development Studies: Individuals, Institutions and Ideologies, pp. 67–87. London: Zed Books. (
- 2005) Ideas for Development. London and Sterling, VA: Earthscan. (
- 2007) ‘Poverty Research: Methodologies, Mindsets and Multidimensionality’. IDS Working Paper No. 293. Brighton: IDS. (
- 2008) Revolutions in Development Inquiry. London and Sterling, VA: Earthscan. (
- 2009) ‘Going to Scale with Community-Led Total Sanitation: Reflections on Experiences, Issues, and Ways Forward’. IDS Practice Paper No. 1. Brighton: Institute of Development Studies. (
- 2010) ‘Paradigms, Poverty and Adaptive Pluralism’. IDS Working Paper No. 344. Brighton: Institute of Development Studies. (
- 2012) Provocations for Development. Bourton on Dunsmore: Practical Action Publishing. (
- Cooke, B. and U. Kothari (eds) (2001) Participation: The New Tyranny? London and New York: Zed Books.
- Cornwall, A. and I. Scoones (eds) (2011) Revolutionising Development: Reflections on the Work of Robert Chambers. London and Washington, DC: Earthscan.
- Hickey, S. and G. Mohan (eds) (2004) Participation: From Tyranny to Transformation? Exploring New Approaches to Participation in Development. London and New York: Zed Books.
- 1962) The New Societies of Tropical Africa: A Selective Study. London: Oxford University Press. (
- 1971) ‘Optimal Ignorance and Excessive Education: Educational Inflation in India’, Asian Survey 11(6): 523–43. and (
- 2007) ‘Keeping the Art of Facilitation Bubbling: Some Reflections on what Stimulates Creativity using Participatory Methods’, in K. Brock and J. Pettit (eds) Springs of Participation, pp. 107–122. London: ITDG Publications. (
- Khon Kaen University (1987) Proceedings of the 1985 International Conference on Rapid Rural Appraisal. Khon Kaen: Rural Systems Research and Farming Systems Research Projects, Khon Kaen University, Thailand.
- Mukherjee, A. (ed.) (2004) Participatory Rural Appraisal: Methods and Applications in Rural Planning. Essays in Honour of Robert Chambers. New Delhi: Concept Publishing (2nd edn).