Article first published online: 15 MAY 2013
© 2013 International Institute of Social Studies
Development and Change
Special Issue: FORUM 2013
Volume 44, Issue 3, pages 705–725, May 2013
How to Cite
Biekart, K. and Gasper, D. (2013), Robert Chambers. Development and Change, 44: 705–725. doi: 10.1111/dech.12025
- Issue published online: 15 MAY 2013
- Article first published online: 15 MAY 2013
REFERENCES AND FURTHER READING
- ActionAid International (2006) ALPS Accountability, Learning, and Planning Systems. Johannesburg: ActionAid International.
- 2007) ‘Seeds of Success are Seeds of Potential Failure: Learning from the Evolution of Reflect’, in K. Brock and J. Pettit (eds) Springs of Participation, pp. 15–28. London: ITDG Publications. (
- 1969) Settlement Schemes in Tropical Africa: A Study of Organisations and Development. London: Routledge and Kegan Paul. (
- Chambers, R. and J. Moris (eds) (1973) Mwea: An Irrigated Rice Settlement in Kenya. Munich: IFO-Institut Wirtschaftsforschung München Afrika-Studien and Humanities Press.
- 1974) Managing Rural Development: Ideas and Experiences from East Africa. Uppsala: Scandinavian Institute of African Studies. (
- 1978) ‘Project Selection for Poverty-focused Rural Development: Simple is Optimal’, World Development 6(2): 209–19. (
- 1981) Seasonal Dimensions to Rural Poverty. London: Frances Pinter. , and (
- 1983) Rural Development: Putting the Last First. Harlow: Longman. (
- 1988) Managing Canal Irrigation: Practical Analysis from South Asia. New Delhi: Oxford and IBH Publishing. (
- 1989) ‘Trees to Meet Contingencies: Savings and Security for the Rural Poor’, World Development 17(3): 329–432. and (
- 1989) Farmer First: Farmer Innovation and Agricultural Research. London: Intermediate Technology Publications. , and (
- 1991) ‘Complexity, Diversity and Competence: Toward Sustainable Livelihood from Farming Systems in the 21st Century’, Journal of the Asian Farming Systems Association 1: 78–89. (
- 1993) Challenging the Professions: Frontiers for Rural Development. London: Intermediate Technology Publications. (
- 1997) Whose Reality Counts? Putting the First Last. London: Intermediate Technology Publications. (
- 2002) Participatory Workshops: A Sourcebook of 21 Sets of Ideas & Activities. London: Earthscan. (
- 2005) ‘Critical Reflections of a Development Nomad’, in U. Kothari (ed.) A Radical History of Development Studies: Individuals, Institutions and Ideologies, pp. 67–87. London: Zed Books. (
- 2005) Ideas for Development. London and Sterling, VA: Earthscan. (
- 2007) ‘Poverty Research: Methodologies, Mindsets and Multidimensionality’. IDS Working Paper No. 293. Brighton: IDS. (
- 2008) Revolutions in Development Inquiry. London and Sterling, VA: Earthscan. (
- 2009) ‘Going to Scale with Community-Led Total Sanitation: Reflections on Experiences, Issues, and Ways Forward’. IDS Practice Paper No. 1. Brighton: Institute of Development Studies. (
- 2010) ‘Paradigms, Poverty and Adaptive Pluralism’. IDS Working Paper No. 344. Brighton: Institute of Development Studies. (
- 2012) Provocations for Development. Bourton on Dunsmore: Practical Action Publishing. (
- Cooke, B. and U. Kothari (eds) (2001) Participation: The New Tyranny? London and New York: Zed Books.
- Cornwall, A. and I. Scoones (eds) (2011) Revolutionising Development: Reflections on the Work of Robert Chambers. London and Washington, DC: Earthscan.
- Hickey, S. and G. Mohan (eds) (2004) Participation: From Tyranny to Transformation? Exploring New Approaches to Participation in Development. London and New York: Zed Books.
- 1962) The New Societies of Tropical Africa: A Selective Study. London: Oxford University Press. (
- 1971) ‘Optimal Ignorance and Excessive Education: Educational Inflation in India’, Asian Survey 11(6): 523–43. and (
- 2007) ‘Keeping the Art of Facilitation Bubbling: Some Reflections on what Stimulates Creativity using Participatory Methods’, in K. Brock and J. Pettit (eds) Springs of Participation, pp. 107–122. London: ITDG Publications. (
- Khon Kaen University (1987) Proceedings of the 1985 International Conference on Rapid Rural Appraisal. Khon Kaen: Rural Systems Research and Farming Systems Research Projects, Khon Kaen University, Thailand.
- Mukherjee, A. (ed.) (2004) Participatory Rural Appraisal: Methods and Applications in Rural Planning. Essays in Honour of Robert Chambers. New Delhi: Concept Publishing (2nd edn).