This paper draws on fieldwork supported by the Asia Scholarship Foundation's generous fellowship which allowed me to spend time and work in China. The support of friends and colleagues at the Inter-Asia Cultural Studies Society, Taiwan, and the Centre for Contemporary Studies, Shanghai University, has been invaluable in the process. The experiences and data from that fieldwork, however, found a framework during conversations within the Hivos Knowledge Programme. The provocations offered by Kees Biekart and Alan Fowler through the Civic Exploration workshops at the Institute of Social Studies, The Netherlands have helped give further shape and foundation to the work. Much of the material cited in this paper is from sources in Mandarin Chinese and would have remained inaccessible to me without the generous help of Xia ChenYue who located and helped translate the material.
Citizen Action in the Time of the Network
Version of Record online: 15 MAY 2013
© 2013 International Institute of Social Studies
Development and Change
Volume 44, Issue 3, pages 665–681, May 2013
How to Cite
Shah, N. (2013), Citizen Action in the Time of the Network. Development and Change, 44: 665–681. doi: 10.1111/dech.12036
- Issue online: 15 MAY 2013
- Version of Record online: 15 MAY 2013
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!