Conflict of interest statement: No conflicts declared
Working with Community Health Workers as ‘Volunteers’ in a Vaccine Trial: Practical and Ethical Experiences and Implications
Article first published online: 22 MAR 2013
© 2013 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Developing World Bioethics
Special Issue: Field workers at the interface between research institutions and local communities
Volume 13, Issue 1, pages 38–47, April 2013
How to Cite
Angwenyi, V., Kamuya, D., Mwachiro, D., Marsh, V., Njuguna, P. and Molyneux, S. (2013), Working with Community Health Workers as ‘Volunteers’ in a Vaccine Trial: Practical and Ethical Experiences and Implications. Developing World Bioethics, 13: 38–47. doi: 10.1111/dewb.12015
- Issue published online: 22 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 22 MAR 2013
- KEMRI-Wellcome Trust
- 1What makes clinical research in developing countries ethical? The benchmarks of ethical research. J Infect Dis 2004; 189: 930–937; Ethical goals of community consultation in research. Am J Public Health 2005; 95: 1123–1127., et al.
- 2Disentangling Methodologies: The Ethics of Traditional Sampling Methodologies, Community-Based Participatory Research, and Respondent-Driven Sampling. The American Journal of Bioethics 2010; 10: 22–24; & . Community Members as Recruiters of Human Subjects: Ethical Considerations. The American Journal of Bioethics 2010; 10: 3–11; Community Members Employed on Research Projects Face Crucial, Often Under-Recognized, Ethical Dilemmas. The American Journal of Bioethics 2010; 10: 24–26..
- 32012. Engaging communities to strengthen research ethics in low-income settings: selection and perceptions of members of a network in coastal Kenya. Developing World Bioethics, in press., et al.
- 4Approaching the community about screening children for a multicentre malaria vaccine trial. International Health 2011., et al.
- 5note 3; NIMH. The role of Community Advisory Boards (CABs) in Project Eban. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2008; 49 Suppl 1: S68–S74; , et al. Challenges of establishing a Community Advisory Board (CAB) in a low-income, low-resource setting: experiences from Bagamoyo, Tanzania. Health Research Policy and Systems 2009; 7: 16., et al. op. cit.
- 7Ethical Implications of Peer-Driven Recruitment: Guidelines from Public Health Research. The American Journal of Bioethics 2010; 10: 16–17; Protecting the Subject: PDR and the Potential for Compromised Consent. The American Journal of Bioethics 2010; 10: 14–15; note 2; , et al. Misbehaviors of Front-Line Research Personnel and the Integrity of Community-Based Research. J Empir Res Hum Res Ethics 2011; 6: 3–12..
- 102007 Community health workers: What do we know about them? The state of the evidence on programmes, activities, costs and impact on health outcomes of using community health workers. Geneva: World Health Organisation, Evidence and Information for Policy, Department of Human Resources for Health. Available at: http://www.who.int/hrh/documents/community_health_workers_brief.pdf [Accessed 8 Nov 2012]. p. 5.& . January
- 11Achieving child survival goals: potential contribution of community health workers. Lancet 2007; 369: 2121–2131; 2001. Community Health Worker: Incentives and Disincentives-How They Affect Motivation, Retention, and Sustainability. Arlington, Virginia: Basic Support for Institutionalizing Child Survival Project (BASICS II) for the United States Agency for International Development; & . op. cit. note 10., et al.
- 12Ibid: Community acceptability of use of rapid diagnostic tests for malaria by community health workers in Uganda. Malaria Journal 2010; 9: 203; Lay health workers and HIV programmes: implications for health systems. AIDS Care 2010; 22 Suppl 1: 60–67; note 10., et al.
- 13Use of community health workers in research with ethnic minority women. Journal of Nursing Scholarship 2004; 36: 358–365; A realist synthesis of randomised control trials involving use of community health workers for delivering child health interventions in low and middle income countries. BMC Health Services Research 2010; 10: (13 October 2010)., et al.
- 14Ministry of Health. April 2006. Taking the Kenya Essential Package for Health to the Community-A Strategy for the Delivery of Level One Services. Ministry of Health: Health Sector Reform Secretariat.
- 15Beginning community engagement at a busy biomedical research programme: Experiences from the KEMRI CGMRC-Wellcome Trust Research Programme, Kilifi, Kenya. Social Science and Medicine 2008; 67: 721–733; Working with Concepts: The Role of Community in International Collaborative Biomedical Research. Public Health Ethics 2011; 4: 26–39., et al.
- 19Ministry of Health. op. cit. note 14.
- 21note 15; Participants. 2011. In Consent and Community Engagment in Health Research: Reviewing and Developing Research and Practice. Kilifi., et al. op. cit.