Conflict of interest statement: No conflicts declared
Ethical Challenges that Arise at the Community Interface of Health Research: Village Reporters’ Experiences in Western Kenya
Version of Record online: 22 MAR 2013
© 2013 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Developing World Bioethics
Special Issue: Field workers at the interface between research institutions and local communities
Volume 13, Issue 1, pages 30–37, April 2013
How to Cite
Chantler, T., Otewa, F., Onyango, P., Okoth, B., Odhiambo, F., Parker, M. and Geissler, P. W. (2013), Ethical Challenges that Arise at the Community Interface of Health Research: Village Reporters’ Experiences in Western Kenya. Developing World Bioethics, 13: 30–37. doi: 10.1111/dewb.12023
- Issue online: 22 MAR 2013
- Version of Record online: 22 MAR 2013
- Gordon Smith Travel Award
- Central Research Fund
- Wellcome Trust, UK
- 1World Health Organisation (1978) Declaration of Alma Ata: International Conference on Primary Health Care, Alma-Ata, USSR, 6–12 September. Geneva: WHO. Available at: http://www.searo.who.int/LinkFiles/Health_Systems_declaration_almaata.pdf [Accessed 20th June 2012].
- 3Republic of Kenya Ministry of Health. 2006 Taking the Kenya Essential Package for Health to the Community: A Strategy for the Delivery of Level One Services. Nairobi: Ministry of Health. Available at: http://marsgroupkenya.org/pdfs/2011/01/Ministry_PDFS/Ministry_of_Public_Health_and_Sanitation/Documents/Taking_the_Kenya_Essential_Package_for_Health_to_the_Community.pdf [Accessed 20 June 2012].
- 4A New Look at International Research Ethics. BMJ. 2000; 3221: 824–826; Responsibilities in International Research: A New Look Revisited. J Med Ethics 2010; 36(4): 194–197; What Makes Clinical Research in Developing Countries Ethical? The Benchmarks of Ethical Research. J Infect Dis 2004; 189: 932–937.& .
- 5note 4, pp. 932–937.et al., op cit
- 6Grand Challenges in Global Health: Community Engagement in Research in Developing Countries. PLoS Med 2007; 49: 1451–1455.et al.
- 7note 4, pp. 932–937.et al., op cit
- 9Trust and Health Care as a Social Institution. Soc Sci & Med. 2003; 56(67): 1452–1468..
- 10Trust and Informed Consent: Insights from Community Members on the Kenyan coast. Soc Sci & Med. 2005; 61(7): 1463–1473; ‘Even if They ask You to Stand by a Tree all Day, You will Have to Do it (Laughter)…!’: Community Voices on the Notion and Practice of Informed Consent for Biomedical Research in Developing Countries. Soc Sci & Med. 2005; 61(2): 443–454., & .
- 142005. Doing Qualitative Research. London: Sage Publications..
- 16Kenya National AIDS and STI Control Programme (NASCOP). 2009 Kenya AIDS Indicator Survey 2007: Final report. Nairobi: NASCOP.
- 172010. ‘The Land is Dying’ Contingency, Creativity and Conflict in Western Kenya. Oxford, New York: Berghahn.& .
- 18Kenya Central Bureau of Statistics. 2005 . Geographic Dimensions of Well-Being in Kenya: Who are Where are the Poor? A Constituency Level Profile. Nairobi: Central Bureau of Statistics.
- 21note 13. pp. 3–11.& . op cit.
- 22note 14. pp. 12–13.& op cit.