Penetration and differentiation of cephalic neural crest-derived cells in the developing mouse telencephalon
Article first published online: 15 NOV 2012
© 2012 The Authors Development, Growth & Differentiation © 2012 Japanese Society of Developmental Biologists
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Volume 54, Issue 9, pages 785–800, December 2012
How to Cite
Yamanishi, E., Takahashi, M., Saga, Y. and Osumi, N. (2012), Penetration and differentiation of cephalic neural crest-derived cells in the developing mouse telencephalon. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 54: 785–800. doi: 10.1111/dgd.12007
- Issue published online: 10 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 15 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 6 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 26 MAY 2012
- Global COE Program
- 1991. Molecular and cellular properties of PECAM-1 (endoCAM/CD31): a novel vascular cell-cell adhesion molecule. J. Cell Biol. 114, 1059–1068. , , &
- 2005. Endothelial/pericyte interactions. Circ. Res. 97, 512–523. , &
- 2010. Pericytes regulate the blood-brain barrier. Nature 468, 557–561. , , , , , , , , , , & .
- 2010. Pericytes are required for blood-brain barrier integrity during embryogenesis. Nature 468, 562–566. , , &
- 2001. AN2/NG2 protein-expressing glial progenitor cells in the murine CNS: isolation, differentiation, and association with radial glia. Glia 34, 213–228. , , , &
- 2000. Pericyte migration from the vascular wall in response to traumatic brain injury. Microvasc. Res. 60, 55–69. , , , , &
- 2001. The cephalic neural crest provides pericytes and smooth muscle cells to all blood vessels of the face and forebrain. Development 128, 1059–1068. , , &
- 2011. Neural crest and ectodermal cells intermix in the nasal placode to give rise to GnRH-1 neurons, sensory neurons, and olfactory ensheathing cells. J. Neurosci. 31, 6915–6927. , , , &
- 2007. Cellular dynamics and tissue interactions of the dura mater during head development. Birth Defects Res. C. Embryo Today 81, 297–304. , &
- 2003. Endothelial-pericyte interactions in angiogenesis. Cell Tissue Res. 314, 15–23. &
- 1993. Independent control of immunoglobulin switch recombination at individual switch regions evidenced through Cre-loxP-mediated gene targeting. Cell 73, 1155–1164. , &
- 2001. Lack of pericytes leads to endothelial hyperplasia and abnormal vascular morphogenesis. J. Cell Biol. 153, 543–553. , , , , , &
- 1999. Role of PDGF-B and PDGFR-beta in recruitment of vascular smooth muscle cells and pericytes during embryonic blood vessel formation in the mouse. Development 126, 3047–3055. , , , &
- 1993. In vitro clonal analysis of mouse neural crest development. Dev. Biol. 157, 517–525. , &
- 2002. Tissue origins and interactions in the mammalian skull vault. Dev. Biol. 241, 106–116. , , , &
- 2006. Abnormal migration and distribution of neural crest cells in Pax6 heterozygous mutant eye, a model for human eye diseases. Genes Cells 11, 919–933. , , , , &
- 2000. A novel reporter mouse strain that expresses enhanced green fluorescent protein upon Cre-mediated recombination. FEBS Lett. 470, 263–268. , , , , , , &
- 2002. Neuroectodermal origin of brain pericytes and vascular smooth muscle cells. J. Comp. Neurol. 442, 78–88. , &
- 2010. CNS pericytes: concepts, misconceptions, and a way out. Glia 58, 1–10. &
- 2011. Isolation and function of mouse tissue resident vascular precursors marked by myelin protein zero. J. Exp. Med. 208, 949–960. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & .
- 2008. The stem cells of the neural crest. Cell Cycle 7, 1013–1019. , &
- 1999. The neural crest, 2nd edn. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge UK. &
- 1997. Pericyte loss and microaneurysm formation in PDGF-B-deficient mice. Science 277, 242–245. , , &
- 1996. Co-localization of NG2 proteoglycan and PDGF alpha-receptor on O2A progenitor cells in the developing rat brain. J. Neurosci. Res. 43, 299–314. , , , &
- 2010. Dynamic expression of Six family genes in the dental mesenchyme and the epithelial ameloblast stem/progenitor cells during murine tooth development. J. Anat. 216, 80–91. , , , &
- 1997. Pax-6 is involved in the specification of hindbrain motor neuron subtype. Development 124, 2961–2972. , , , , , , , & .
- 2001. NG2 proteoglycan is expressed exclusively by mural cells during vascular morphogenesis. Dev. Dyn. 222, 218–227. , , , &
- 2006. Bidirectional control of CNS capillary diameter by pericytes. Nature 443, 700–704. , , &
- 2003. The human tissue plasminogen activator-Cre mouse: a new tool for targeting specifically neural crest cells and their derivatives in vivo. Dev. Biol. 259, 176–187. , , , &
- 1999. MesP1 is expressed in the heart precursor cells and required for the formation of a single heart tube. Development 126, 3437–3447. , , , , &
- 2008. Evolution of the neural crest viewed from a gene regulatory perspective. Genesis 46, 673–682. &
- 2002. Codon-improved Cre recombinase (iCre) expression in the mouse. Genesis 32, 19–26. , , , , , , , & .
- 1994. Expression of the platelet-derived growth factor beta receptor during organogenesis and tissue differentiation in the mouse embryo. Dev. Dyn. 199, 169–175. , &
- 2012. Neural crest stem cells. World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., Singapore.
- 2012. Sox10-iCreER(T2): a mouse line to inducibly trace the neural crest and oligodendrocyte lineage. Genesis 50, 506–515. , , &
- 2005. PDGFRbeta+ perivascular progenitor cells in tumours regulate pericyte differentiation and vascular survival. Nat. Cell Biol., 7, 870–879. , , , &
- 1999. Generalized lacZ expression with the ROSA26 Cre reporter strain. Nat. Genet. 21, 70–71.
- 1992. Isolation of a stem cell for neurons and glia from the mammalian neural crest. Cell 71, 973–985. &
- 2002. Pax6 regulates specification of ventral neurone subtypes in the hindbrain by establishing progenitor domains. Development 129, 1327–1338. &
- 2008. Compartment-specific transcription factors orchestrate angiogenesis gradients in the embryonic brain. Nat. Neurosci. 11, 429–439. , , , &
- 1998. Avian neural crest-derived neurogenic precursors undergo apoptosis on the lateral migration pathway. Development 125, 4205–4213. , , &
- 1989. Evidence that cells expressing luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone mRNA in the mouse are derived from progenitor cells in the olfactory placode. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 86, 8132–8136. , &
- 1999. A novel transgenic technique that allows specific marking of the neural crest cell lineage in mice. Dev. Biol. 212, 191–203. , , , , , , & .
- 2000. Cellular distribution of platelet-derived growth factor, transforming growth factor-beta, basic fibroblast growth factor, and their receptors in normal bone marrow. Acta Haematol. 104, 151–157. , &
- 2008. Cell lineage in mammalian craniofacial mesenchyme. Mech. Dev. 125, 797–808. , , , &