Electroporation: Past, present and future
Article first published online: 15 NOV 2012
© 2012 The Authors Development, Growth & Differentiation © 2012 Japanese Society of Developmental Biologists
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Special Issue: THE AVIAN MODEL SYSTEM EDITED BY R. LADHER, T. SUZUKI AND H. NAKAMURA
Volume 55, Issue 1, pages 15–19, January 2013
How to Cite
Nakamura, H. and Funahashi, J. (2013), Electroporation: Past, present and future. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 55: 15–19. doi: 10.1111/dgd.12012
- Issue published online: 7 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 15 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 20 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 19 AUG 2012
- 1998. Gene transfer into muscle by electroporation in vivo. Nat. Biotechnol. 16, 867–870. &
- 2009. Transfer of foreign DNA into aquatic animals by electroporation. In Electroporation and Sonoporation in Developmental Biology. (Ed. H. Nakamura), pp. 229–237. Springer, Tokyo. , , &
- 1997. Characterization of a notochord-specific enhancer from the Brachyury promoter region of the ascidian, Ciona intestinalis. Development 124, 589–602. , &
- 2007. The expanding RNA polymerase III transcriptome. Trends Genet. 23, 614–622. , , , &
- 2009. Temporal control of gene expression by combining electroporation and the tetracycline inducible systems in vertebrate embryos. In Electroporation and Sonoporation in Developmental Biology. (Ed. H. Nakamura), pp. 25–36. Springer, Tokyo. &
- 2009. Intradermal delivery of plasmid VEGF(165) by electroporation promotes wound healing. Mol. Ther. 17, 651–657. , , &
- 2001. Neocortex patterning by the secreted signaling molecule FGF8. Science 294, 1071–1074. &
- 1997. Gene transfer to chick embryos by electroporation. Cell Technol. 16, 1666–1675 (in Japanese).
- 1999. Role of Pax-5 in the regulation of a mid-hindbrain organizer's activity. Dev. Growth Differ. 41, 59–72. , , , , &
- 2008. Method for electroporation for the early chick embryo. Dev. Growth Differ. 50, 449–452. &
- 2010. Electroporation gene therapy preclinical and clinical trials for melanoma. Curr. Gene Ther. 10, 312–317. &
- 2005. In vivo analysis of mRNA stability using the Tet-Off system in the chicken embryo. Dev. Biol. 284, 292–300. , &
- 2011. Conditional knockdown of target gene expression by tetracycline regulated transcription of double strand RNA. Dev. Growth Differ. 53, 69–75. , , , , &
- 2005. Imaging neural crest cell dynamics during formation of dorsal root ganglia and sympathetic ganglia. Development, 132, 235–245. , &
- 2003. Gene silencing in chick embryos with a vector-based small interfering RNA system. Dev. Growth Differ. 45, 361–367. &
- 2002. Early subdivisions in the neural plate define distinct competence for inductive signals. Development 129, 83–93. , , , , &
- 2003. Methods for introducing morpholinos into the chicken embryo. Dev. Dyn. 226, 470–477. , , , &
- 2001. A primer on using in ovo electroporation to analyze gene function. Dev. Dyn. 229, 433–439.
- 1982. The Neural Crest. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 2008. Developmental patterning deciphered in avian chimeras. Dev. Growth Differ. 50, S11–S28.
- 2004. Analysis of embryonic motoneuron gene regulation: derepression of general activators function in concert with enhancer factors. Development, 131, 3295–3306. , , , &
- 2012. Efficient production of transgenic chickens based on piggyBac. Transgenic Res., PMID: 22918673. , , , , , , , & .
- 2012. Combined transfer of human VEGF165 and HGF genes renders potent angiogenic effect in ischemic skeletal muscle. PLoS One 7, e38776. , , , , , , , &
- 2009. Electroporation of plasmid vector DNA into muscle. In Electroporation and Sonoporation in Developmental Biology. (Ed. H. Nakamura), pp. 249–262. Springer, Tokyo. &
- 2007. Tail regeneration in the Xenopus tadpole. Dev. Growth Differ. 49, 155–161. , &
- 1997. Comparison of three nonviral transfection methods for foreign gene expression in early chicken embryos in ovo. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 230, 376–380. , , &
- 2001. Regionalisation of the optic tectum: combination of the gene expression that defines the tectum. Trends Neurosci. 24, 32–39.
- Nakamura, H (Ed). 2009. Electroporation and Sonoporation in Developmental Biology. Springer, Tokyo.
- 2000. Misexpression of the genes in the brain vesicles by in ovo electroporation. Dev. Growth Differ. 42, 199–201. , &
- 2008. Isthmus organizer for mesencephalon and metencephalon. Dev. Growth Differ. 50, S113–S118. , &
- 2012. Selective and regulated gene expression in murine Purkinje cells by in utero electroporation. Eur. J. Neurosci., doi: 10.1111/j.1460-9568.2012.08203.x. , , , , &
- 1998. Synthesis of human erythropoietin in vivo in the oviduct of laying hens by localized in vivo gene transfer using electroporation. Poult. Sci. 77, 299–302. , , , , &
- 2008. Electroporation as an efficient method of gene transfer. Dev. Growth Differ. 50, 443–448. , &
- 2009. In ovo electroporation for targeting the somite mesoderm. In Electroporation and Sonoporation in Developmental Biology. (Ed. H. Nakamura), pp. 37–42. Springer, Tokyo. &
- 1987. Effects of a high-voltage electrical impulse and an anticancer drug on in vivo growing tumors. Jpn. J. Cancer Res. 78, 1319–1321. &
- 2001. Gene transfer into cultured mammalian embryos by electroporation. Methods 24, 35–42. &
- 2001. Efficient gene transfer into the embryonic mouse brain using in vivo electroporation. Dev. Biol. 240, 237–246. &
- 2008. Retrovirus vector-mediated gene transfer into the chick optic vesicle by in ovo electroporation. Dev. Growth Differ. 50, 453–457. , &
- 2007. Stable integration and conditional expression of electroporated transgenes in chicken embryos. Dev. Biol. 305, 616–624. , , , , , &
- 2009. Application of Tol2 transposon-mediated gene transfer for stable and conditional expression of electroporated genes in chicken embryos. In Electroporation and Sonoporation in Developmental Biology. (Ed. H. Nakamura), pp. 17–24. Springer, Tokyo. &
- 2004. In ovo electroporation of avian somites, Dev. Dyn. 229, 643–650. , , & .
- 2003. Generation of Ski-knockdown mice by expressing a long double-strand RNA from an RNA polymerase II promoter. Genes Dev. 17, 1340–1345. &
- 2003. The role of Grg4 in tectal laminar formation. Development 130, 451–462. &
- 2008. Congenic method in the chick limb buds by electroporation. Dev. Growth Differ. 50, 459–465. &
- 2009. Electroporation into the limb: beyond misexpression. In Electroporation and Sonoporation in Developmental Biology. (Ed. H. Nakamura), pp. 85–96. Springer, Tokyo. &
- 2001. RNAi in mouse oocytes and preimplantation embryos: effectiveness of hairpin dsRNA. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 287, 1099–1104. , &
- 2001. Efficient in utero gene transfer system to the developing mouse brain using electroporation: visualization of neuronal migration in the developing cortex. Neuroscience 103, 865–872. &
- 2010. Gene manipulation of chick embryos in vitro, early chick culture, and long survival in transplanted eggs. Dev. Growth Differ. 52, 629–634. , , , &
- 2012. In utero electroporation as a tool for genetic manipulation in vivo to study psychiatric disorders: from genes to circuits and behaviors. Neuroscientist 18, 169–179. , , &
- 2006. Inhibition of zebrafish fin regeneration using in vivo electroporation of morpholinos against fgfr1 and msxb. Dev. Dyn. 235, 336–346. , , , , , , , , &
- 2008. Enhancer analysis by chicken embryo electroporation with aid of genome comparison. Dev. Growth Differ. 50, 467–474.
- 2004. Efficient identification of regulatory sequences in the chicken genome by a powerful combination of embryo electroporation and genome comparison. Mech. Dev. 121, 1145–1158. , , &
- 2008. Spatially and temporally controlled electroporation of early chick embryos. Nat. Protoc. 3, 419–426. , &
- 2007. Tet-on inducible system combined with in ovo electroporation dissects multiple roles of genes in somitogenesis of chicken embryos. Dev. Biol. 305, 625–636. , , , , , &
- 2006. piggyBac is a flexible and highly active transposon as compared to Sleeping Beauty, Tol2, and Mos1 in mammalian cells. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 103, 15008–15013. , , , , , &