Live-cell analysis of plant reproduction: Live-cell imaging, optical manipulation, and advanced microscopy technologies
Article first published online: 26 FEB 2013
© 2013 The Authors Development, Growth & Differentiation © 2013 Japanese Society of Developmental Biologists
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Special Issue: BIOIMAGING IN DEVELOPMENTAL BIOLOGY EDITED BY T. FUJIMORI, Y. SATO AND H. NAKAMURA
Volume 55, Issue 4, pages 462–473, May 2013
How to Cite
Kurihara, D., Hamamura, Y. and Higashiyama, T. (2013), Live-cell analysis of plant reproduction: Live-cell imaging, optical manipulation, and advanced microscopy technologies. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 55: 462–473. doi: 10.1111/dgd.12040
- Issue published online: 13 MAY 2013
- Article first published online: 26 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 29 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 13 NOV 2012
- Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research
- Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan. Grant Number: No. 11025940
- 2012. A microfluidic platform for the investigation of elongation growth in pollen tubes. J. Micromech. Microeng. 22, 115009. , , , &
- 2012. A protocol for transformation of Torenia. Methods Mol. Biol. 847, 267–274.
- 2000. A calcium influx is triggered and propagates in the zygote as a wavefront during in vitro fertilization of flowering plants. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 97, 10643–10648. , , , , &
- 2008. Double fertilization - caught in the act. Trends Plant Sci. 13, 437–443. , , &
- 2010. Imaging fertilization in flowering plants, not so abominable after all. J. Exp. Bot. 62, 1651–1658.
- 2007. Temperature as a determinant factor for increased and reproducible in vitro pollen germination in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant J. 52, 570–582. &
- 2006. A genetically encoded photosensitizer. Nat. Biotechnol. 24, 95–99. , , , , , , , , & .
- 2009. Making the Auroras glow: regulation of Aurora A and B kinase function by interacting proteins. Curr. Opin. Cell Biol. 21, 796–805. , &
- 2010. The pollen tube journey in the pistil and imaging the in vivo process by two-photon microscopy. J. Exp. Bot. 61, 1907–1915. , , , &
- 2009. Aurora1 phosphorylation activity on histone H3 and its cross-talk with other post-translational histone modifications in Arabidopsis. Plant J. 59, 221–230. , , , , , , , , & .
- 2005. Identification and dynamics of two classes of aurora-like kinases in Arabidopsis and other plants. Plant Cell 17, 836–848. , , , &
- 2011. Chemical visualization of an attractant peptide, LURE. Plant Cell Physiol. 52, 49–58. , , , , , & .
- 2011. Live-cell imaging reveals the dynamics of two sperm cells during double fertilization in Arabidopsis thaliana. Curr. Biol., 21 497–502. , , , , , , , , , & .
- 2012. Double fertilization on the move. Curr. Opin. Plant Biol. 15, 70–77. , &
- 2005. Deep tissue two-photon microscopy. Nat. Methods 2, 932–940. &
- 2010. Peptide signaling in pollen-pistil interactions. Plant Cell Physiol., 51, 177–189.
- 2008. Gametophytic pollen tube guidance. Sex. Plant Reprod. 21, 17–26. &
- 1997. Kinetics of double fertilization in Torenia fournieri based on direct observations of the naked embryo sac. Planta 203, 101–110. , , &
- 1998. Guidance in vitro of the pollen tube to the naked embryo sac of torenia fournieri. Plant Cell 10, 2019–2032. , , &
- 2000. Explosive discharge of pollen tube contents in Torenia fournieri. Plant Physiol. 122, 11–14. , , &
- 2001. Pollen tube attraction by the synergid cell. Science 293, 1480–1483. , , , , , &
- 2012. Plant-on-a-chip microfluidic-system for quantitative analysis of pollen tube guidance by signaling molecule: towards cell-to-cell communication study. Proc. microTAS 2012 1027–1029. , , , &
- 1995. Genetic evidence for a long-range activity that directs pollen tube guidance in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 7, 57–64. , &
- 2007. Distinct dynamics of HISTONE3 variants between the two fertilization products in plants. Curr. Biol. 17, 1032–1037. , , , &
- 2004. A compendium of methods useful for characterizing Arabidopsis pollen mutants and gametophytically-expressed genes. Plant J. 39 761–775. &
- 2009. Infrared laser-mediated gene induction in targeted single cells in vivo. Nat. Methods 6, 79–81. , , , , , , , , , & .
- 2012. Fertilization recovery after defective sperm cell release in Arabidopsis. Curr. Biol. 22, 1084–1089. , , , , &
- 2005. Characterization of plant Aurora kinases during mitosis. Plant Mol. Biol. 58, 1–13. , , , , , , & .
- 2010. The suspensor: not just suspending the embryo. Trends Plant Sci. 15, 23–30. &
- 2011. Green love talks; cell-cell communication during double fertilization in flowering plants. AoB Plants 2011, plr015. &
- 1993. In Vitro fertilization with isolated, single gametes results in zygotic embryogenesis and fertile maize plants. Plant Cell 5, 739–746. &
- 2006. Aurora kinase is required for chromosome segregation in tobacco BY-2 cells. Plant J. 48, 572–580. , , , , , & .
- 2011. Identification and characterization of plant Haspin kinase as a histone H3 threonine kinase. BMC Plant Biol. 11, 73. , , , &
- 2008. Live cell imaging reveals plant aurora kinase has dual roles during mitosis. Plant Cell Physiol. 49, 1256–1261. , , &
- 2012. Early embryogenesis in flowering plants: setting up the basic body pattern. Annu. Rev. Plant Biol. 63, 483–506. , , , &
- 1997. Embryogenesis: a new start in life. Plant Cell 9, 989–1000. &
- 2002. The mechanisms of pollination and fertilization in plants. Annu. Rev. Cell Dev. Biol. 18, 81–105. &
- 2005. Innovation: photoactivatable fluorescent proteins. Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 6, 885–891. , , &
- 1950. An Introduction to the Embryology of Angiosperms. New York: McGraw-Hill. .
- 2011. High-resolution live imaging of plant growth in near physiological bright conditions using light sheet fluorescence microscopy. Plant J. 68, 377–385. , , , &
- 2010. Pollen tube guidance by attractant molecules: LUREs. Cell Struct. Funct. 35, 45–52. &
- 2009. Defensin-like polypeptide LUREs are pollen tube attractants secreted from synergid cells. Nature 458, 357–361. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & .
- 2006. Distinct short-range ovule signals attract or repel Arabidopsis thaliana pollen tubes in vitro. BMC Plant Biol. 6, 7. &
- 1997. Pollen tube guidance by the female gametophyte. Development 124, 2489–2498. , &
- 2004. In vitro culture of Arabidopsis embryos within their ovules. Plant J. 40, 835–843. &
- 2000. Attractive and repulsive interactions between female and male gametophytes in Arabidopsis pollen tube guidance. Development 127, 4511–4518. &
- 2009. Recent progress in plant reproduction research: the story of the male gametophyte through to successful fertilization. Plant Cell Physiol. 50, 1857–1864.
- 2011. Attraction of tip-growing pollen tubes by the female gametophyte. Curr. Opin. Plant Biol. 14, 614–621. &
- 1997. Pollen germination and tube growth. Annu. Rev. Plant Physiol. Plant Mol. Biol. 48, 461–491. &
- 1994. Mutations in the FASS gene uncouple pattern formation and morphogenesis in Arabidopsis development. Development 120, 2967–2978. &
- 2003. Genetically targeted chromophore-assisted light inactivation. Nat. Biotechnol. 21, 1505–1508. , , , &
- 2007. Establishment of an in vitro fertilization system in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Planta 226, 581–589. , &
- 2012. The origin of the plant body axis. Curr. Opin. Plant Biol. 15 578–584. &
- 2007. Microfabrication meets microbiology. Nat. Rev. Microbiol. 5, 209–218. , &
- 2001. Soft lithography in biology and biochemistry. Annu. Rev. Biomed. Eng. 3, 335–373. , , , &
- 2011. A microsystem-based assay for studying pollen tube guidance in plant reproduction. J. Micromech. Microeng. 21, 054018. , , , , &