Adipose-derived mesenchymal stem cells and regenerative medicine
Version of Record online: 3 MAR 2013
© 2013 The Authors Development, Growth & Differentiation © 2013 Japanese Society of Developmental Biologists
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Volume 55, Issue 3, pages 309–318, April 2013
How to Cite
Konno, M., Hamabe, A., Hasegawa, S., Ogawa, H., Fukusumi, T., Nishikawa, S., Ohta, K., Kano, Y., Ozaki, M., Noguchi, Y., Sakai, D., Kudoh, T., Kawamoto, K., Eguchi, H., Satoh, T., Tanemura, M., Nagano, H., Doki, Y., Mori, M. and Ishii, H. (2013), Adipose-derived mesenchymal stem cells and regenerative medicine. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 55: 309–318. doi: 10.1111/dgd.12049
- Issue online: 10 APR 2013
- Version of Record online: 3 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 15 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 20 AUG 2012
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science
- Akaeda Medical Research Foundation
- SENSHIN Medical Research Foundation
- 2008. Systemic vascular endothelial dysfunction in Peyronie's disease. J. Sex. Med. 5, 2688–2693. , , , , &
- 2009. Antirheumatic drug response signatures in human chondrocytes: potential molecular targets to stimulate cartilage regeneration. Arthritis Res. Ther. 11, R15. , , , , , , & .
- 2003. In vitro differentiation of human processed lipoaspirate cells into early neural progenitors. Plast. Reconstr. Surg. 111, 1922–1931. , , , , , , , & .
- 2004. Chondrogenic differentiation of adipose-derived adult stem cells in agarose, alginate, and gelatin scaffolds. Biomaterials 25, 3211–3222. , , & .
- 2007. Adipose tissue-derived mesenchymal stem cells as a source of human hepatocytes. Hepatology 46, 219–228. , , , , , , & .
- 2005. Human adipose tissue-derived stem cells differentiate into endothelial cells in vitro and improve postnatal neovascularization in vivo. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 332, 370–379. , , , , &
- 2006. Adipose tissue-derived cells: from physiology to regenerative medicine. Diabetes Metab. 32, 393–401. &
- 2006. Adipogenic differentiation of adipose tissue derived adult stem cells in nude mouse. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 345, 631–637. , , , , & .
- 2008. Large-scale production of human adipose tissue from stem cells: a new tool for regenerative medicine and tissue banking. Tissue Eng. Part C, Methods 14, 233–242. , , , , , &
- 2005. Functional studies of mesen- chymal stem cells derived from adult human adipose tissue. Exp. Cell Res. 308, 283–290. , , , , , , & .
- 1925. Confocal images of marrow stromal (Westen-Bainton) cells. J. Morphol. Physiol 40, 417–459.
- 1989. Deduced protein sequence of bone small proteoglycan I (biglycan) shows homology with proteoglycan II (decorin) and several nonconnective tissue proteins in a variety of species. J. Biol. Chem. 264, 4571–4576. , ,
- 2010. Myoblasts differentiated from adipose-derived stem cells to treat stress urinary incontinence. Urology 75, 718–723. , , , & .
- 1980. Biochemical studies on repair cartilage resurfacing experimental defects in rabbit knee. J. Bone Joint Surg. 62, 79–89. , , & ..
- 2012. Decorin promotes myogenic differentiation and mdx mice therapeutic effects after transplantation of rat adipose-derived stem cells. Cytotherapy 14, 877–886. , , , , , , , , & .
- 1965. Pathologic anatomy of the pancreas in juvenile diabetes mellitus. Diabetes 14, 619–633.
- 2003. The effect of vascular endothelial growth factor and adeno-associated virus mediated brain derived neurotrophic factor on neurogenic and vasculogenic erectile dysfunction induced by hyperlipidemia. J. Urol. 169, 1577–1581. , , , , , & .
- 1998. Treatment of articular cartilage defects of the knee with autologous chondrocyte implantation. J. Orthop. Sports Phys. Ther. 28, 241–251. , ,
- 2009. Treatment of experimental arthritis by inducing immune tolerance with human adipose-derived mesenchymal stem cells. Arthritis Rheum. 60, 1006–1019. , , , & .
- 2009. Enhancement of myogenic and muscle repair capacities of human adipose-derived stem cells with forced expression of MyoD. Mol. Ther. 17, 1064–1072. , , , , , & .
- 2000. Adipose-derived stromal cells–their utility and potential in bone formation. Int. J. Obes. Relat. Metab. Disord. 24(Suppl 4), S41–44. , &
- 2001. Extracellular matrix mineralization and osteoblast gene expression by human adipose tissue-derived stromal cells. Tissue Eng. 7, 729–741. , , , , , , , & .
- 2007. The endothelium and vascular inflammation in diabetes. Diab. Vasc. Dis. Res. 4, 84–88. , &
- 1981. Techniques for studying adipocytes. Stain Technol. 56, 149–154.
- 1982. Histology of the stroma in developing rat subcutaneous adipose tissue. J. Anim. Sci. 55, 1336–1342. &
- 2005. A single course of anti-CD3 monoclonal antibody hOKT3gamma1(Ala-Ala) results in improvement in C-peptide responses and clinical parameters for at least 2 years after onset of type 1 diabetes. Diabetes 54, 1763–1769. , , , , , , , , & .
- 1960. The loss of phenotypic traits by differentiated cells in vitro dedifferentiation of cartilage cell. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 46, 1533–1542. , , &
- 2008. Adult stem cells and their trans-differentiation potential–perspectives and therapeutic applications. J. Mol. Med. 86, 1301–1314. , , , , , , , , & .
- 1998. In vitro chondrogenesis of bone marrow derived mesenchymal progenitor cells. Exp. Cell Res. 238, 265–272. , , , & .
- 2010. Pdx1-transfected adipose tissue-derived stem cells differentiate into insulin-producing cells in vivo and reduce hyperglycemia in diabetic mice. Int. J. Dev. Biol. 54, 699–705. , , , , , , , , , & .
- 2005. Gene therapy progress and prospects: stem cell plasticity. Gene Ther. 12, 1229–1234. &
- 2006. Comparative analysis of mesenchymal stem cells from bone marrow, umbilical cprd blood, or adipose tissue. Stem Cells 24, 1294–1301. , , , & .
- 2005. Insulin needs after CD3-antibody therapy in new-onset type 1 diabetes. N. Engl. J. Med. 352, 2598–2608. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & .
- 2008a. Evidence supporting antioxidant action of adipose-derived stem cells: protection of human dermal fibroblasts from oxidative stress. J. Dermatol. Sci. 49, 133–142. , , , , , , , & .
- 2009. Awntiwrinkle effect of adipose-derived stem cells: activation of human dermal fibroblast by secretory factors. J. Dermatol. Sci. 53, 96–102. , , , & .
- 2007. Wound healing effect of adipose-derived stem cells: a critical role of secretory factors on human dermal fibroblasts. J. Dermatol. Sci. 48, 15–24. , , , , , & .
- 2008b. Whitening effect of adipose-derived stem cells: a critical role of TGF-beta1. Biol. Pharm. Bull. 31, 606–610. , , , , , , , , , & .
- 2008. Decorin enhances the proliferation and differentiation of myogenic cells through suppressing myostatin activity. J. Cell Physiol. 215, 856–867. , &
- 2010. Efficiently differentiating vascular endothelial cells from adipose tissue-derived mesenchymal stem cells in serum-free culture. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 400, 461–465. , , , , , , & .
- 1997. Primary cultured chondrocytes of different origins respond differently to b-FGF and TGF-β. Life Sci. 61, 293–299. , , & .
- 2004. Characterization and expression analysis of mesenchymal stem cells from human bone marrow and adipose tissue. Cell. Physiol. Biochem. 14, 311–324. , , , , , , & .
- 2009. Toll-like receptor-mediated signaling in human adipose-derived stem cells: implications for immunogenicity and immunosuppressive potential. Tissue Eng. Part A 15, 1579–1589. , , , , &
- 1998. Chondrogenic differentiation of cultured human mesenchymal stem cells from marrow. Tissue Eng. 4, 415–428. , &
- 2000. Isolation, characterization, and chondrogenic potential of human bone marrow-derived multipotential stromal cells. J. Cell. Physiol. 185, 98–106. , , &
- 2001. BMP-2 and BMP-9 promotes chondrogenic differentiation of human multipotentialmesenchymal cells and overcomes the inhibitory effect of IL-1. J. Cell Physiol. 189, 275–284. , &
- 2008. Skin tissue engineering. J. Biomater. Sci. Polym. Ed. 19, 955–968.
- 1997. Current concepts in the treatment of articular cartilage defects. Orthopedic 20, 525–538. &
- 2000. Biology and clinical utilization of mesenchymal progenitor cells. Braz. J. Med. Biol. Res. 33, 881–887. , &
- 2004. Improvement of postnatal neovascularization by human adipose tissue-derived stem cells. Circulation 110, 349–355. , , , , &
- 2004. Healingof articular cartilage in intra-articular fractures in rabbits. Clin. Orthop. Relat. Res. 62, 628–634.
- 2006. Decorin binds myostatin and modulates its activity to muscle cells. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 215, 856–867. , , , , , , , & .
- 2006. Human adipose tissue-derived mesenchymal stem cells improve postnatal neovascularization in a mouse model of hindlimb ischemia. Cell Physiol. Biochem. 17, 279–290. , , , , , , & .
- 2012. The effect of secretory factors Adipose-derived stem cells on human keratinocytes. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 13, 1239–1257. , , , , , , , & .
- 2008. Insulin growth factor signaling mediates neuron-like differentiation of adipose-tissue-derived stem cells. Differentiation. 76, 488–494. , , , , &
- 2006. Neuron-like differentiation of adipose tissue-derived stromal cells and vascular smooth muscle cells. Differentiation 74, 510–518. , , &
- 2009. Fibroblast growth factor 2 promotes endothelial differentiation of adipose tissue-derived stem cells. J. Sex. Med. 6, 967–979. , , , , &
- 2007. Comparison of immunological properties of bone marrow stromal cells and adipose tissue-derived stem cells before and after osteogenic differenatiation in vitro. Tissue Enginnering 13, 111–121. , , , , , , , , & .
- 2007. Spatiotemporal expression of decorin and myostatin during rat skeletal muscle development. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 361, 896–902. , , , & .
- 2008. Diversity of fibroblasts a review on implications for skin tissue engineering. Cells Tissues Organs 187, 165–176. , , & .
- 2006. Adipose tissue-derived mesenchymal stem cell yield and growth characteristics are affected by the tissue-harvesting procedure. Cytotherapy 8, 166–177. , , , , , & .
- 2009. Transdifferentiation of human adipose tissue-derived stromal cells into insulin-producing clusters. J. Artif. Organs 12, 123–130. , , , , , &
- 2002. Stem cells for myocardial regeneration. Circ. Res. 91, 1092–1102. , &
- 2008. Adipose-derived stem cells and their secretory factors as a promising therapy for skin aging. Dermatol. Surg. 34, 1323–1326. , , , , , &
- 1984. Cells in human adipose tissue developing into adipocytes. Acta medica Scandinavica 215, 447–451. , , , &
- 1990. Ventricular remodeling after myocardial infarction. Experimental observations and clinical implications. Circulation 81, 1161–1172. &
- 2004a. Spontaneous cardiomyocyte differentiation from adipose tissue stroma cells. Circ. Res. 94, 223–229. , , , , , , & .
- 2004b. Plasticity of human adipose lineage cells toward endothelial cells: physiological and therapeutic perspectives. Circulation 109, 656–663. , , , , , , , , , , , , & .
- 2006. From heterogenicity to plasticity in adipose tissues: site-specific differences. Exp. Cell Res. 312, 727–736. , , , , & .
- 2003. Transformation of adult mesenchymal stem cells isolated from the fatty tissue into cardiomyocytes. Ann. Thorac. Surg. 75, 775–779. , , , &
- 1992. Generation of neurons and astrocytes from isolated cells of the adult mammalian central nervous system. Science 255, 1707–1710. &
- 1992. De novo generation of neuronal cells from the adult mouse brain. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 89, 8591–8595. , &
- 2004. Islet transplantation as a treatment for diabetes - a work in progress. N. Engl. J. Med. 350, 694–705.
- 2005. Transplantation of a multipotent cell population from human adipose tissue induces dystrophin expression in the immunocompetent mdx mouse. J. Exp. Med. 201, 1397–1405. , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2002. Neurogenic differentiation of murine and human adipose-derived stromal cells. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 294, 371–379. , , , , , &
- 2006. Insulin-producing cells derived from stem cells: recent progress and future directions. J. Cell Mol. Med. 10, 866–883. , , , &
- 2007. Hepatocyte differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells from rat peritoneal adipose tissue in vitro and in vivo. Exp. Cell Res. 313, 2875–2886. , , , , , , & .
- 2000. Islet transplantation in seven patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus using a glucocorticoid-free immunosuppressive regimen. N. Engl. J. Med. 343, 230–238. , , , , , , &
- 2006. Can angiogenesis be exploited to improve stroke outcome? Mechanisms and therapeutic potential. Clin Sci (Lond) 111, 171–183. , , , &
- 2007. Human mesenchymal stem cells from adipose tissue: differentiation into hepatic lineage. Toxicol. In Vitro 21, 324–329. , , , , , , & .
- 2000. The reactions of articular cartilage to experimental wounding: role of apoptosis. Arthritis Rheum. 431, 215–225. , , , &
- 2006. Endothelial function and inflammation in coronary artery disease. Heart 92, 441–444. , &
- 2007. Therapeutic angiogenesis. Vasc. Endovascular Surg. 41, 173–185. &
- 2008. SJL dystrophic mice express a significant amount of human muscle proteins following systemic delivery of human adipose-derived stromal cells without immunosuppression. Stem Cells 26, 2391–2398. , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2007. Autologous nonmyeloablative hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes mellitus. JAMA 297, 1568–1576. , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2005. Comparative characteristics of mesenchymal stem cells from human bone marrow, adipose tissue, and umbilical cord blood. Exp. Hematol. 33, 1402–1416. , , , , , , , , , & .
- 2005. In vitro cartilage tissue engineering with 3D porous aqueous-derived silk scaffold ans mesenchymal stem cells. Biomaterial 26, 7082–7094. , , , & .
- 2009. Connexin mimetic peptidesimprove cell migration rates of human epidermal keratinocytes and dermal fibroblasts in vitro. Wound Repair Regen. 17, 240–249. , , ,
- 2004. Complex epithelial-mesenchymal interactions modulate transforming growth factor-beta expression in keloid-derived cells. Wound Repair Regen. 12, 546–556. , , , & .
- 2010. Neural potential of a stem cell population in the adipose and cutaneous tissues. Neurol. Res. 32, 47–54. , , , , , , , &
- 2007. Relationships between transforming growth factor-beta 1, myostatin, and decorin: implications for skeletal muscle fibrosis. J. Biol. Chem. 282, 25852–25863. , , , , , , , &
- 2002. Human adipose tissue is a source of multipotent stem cells. Mol. Biol. Cell 13, 4279–4295. , , , , , , , , &
- 2001. Multilineage cells from human adipose tissue: implications for cell-based therapies. Tissue Eng. 7, 211–228. , , , , , , , &