These authors contributed equally to this work.
Insulin induces proliferation and cardiac differentiation of P19CL6 cells in a dose-dependent manner
Article first published online: 11 SEP 2013
© 2013 The Authors Development, Growth & Differentiation © 2013 Japanese Society of Developmental Biologists
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Volume 55, Issue 7, pages 676–686, September 2013
How to Cite
Li, W.-Y., Song, Y.-L., Xiong, C.-J., Lu, P.-Q., Xue, L.-X., Yao, C.-X., Wang, W.-P., Zhang, S.-F., Zhang, S.-F., Wei, Q.-X., Zhang, Y.-Y., Zhao, J.-M. and Zang, M.-X. (2013), Insulin induces proliferation and cardiac differentiation of P19CL6 cells in a dose-dependent manner. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 55: 676–686. doi: 10.1111/dgd.12075
- Issue published online: 12 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 11 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 27 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 22 MAR 2013
- Ministry of Science and Technology of China. Grant Numbers: 2007AA02Z122, 2012AA022501
- National Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant Numbers: 81141044, 81371895, 31071206
- International Cooperation and Exchange Foundation of Henan Scientific Committee. Grant Numbers: 082102310024, 104300510016
- Scientific Research Foundation for the Returned Overseas Chinese Scholars
- 2004. Essential role of GATA-4 in cell survival and drug-induced cardiotoxicity. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 101, 6975–6980. , , , &
- 2010. The role of PPARalpha activation in liver and muscle. PPAR Res. 2010, 542359. , &
- 2012. Insulin receptor substrate-1 prevents autophagy-dependent cell death caused by oxidative stress in mouse NIH/3T3 cells. J. Biomed. Sci. 19, 64. , , , &
- 2012. Diabetes and coronary heart disease: a risk factor for the global epidemic. Int. J. Hypertens. 2012, 697240. , &
- 2005. Insulin inhibits platelet-derived growth factor-induced cell proliferation. Mol. Biol. Cell 16, 73–83. , , , , , , , , , & .
- 2003. Sox6 regulation of cardiac myocyte development. Nucleic Acids Res. 31, 5941–5948. , , , , &
- 2001. Insulin produces myogenesis in C2C12 myoblasts by induction of NF-kappaB and downregulation of AP-1 activities. J. Cell. Physiol. 186, 82–94. , , &
- 2008. Activation of estrogen receptor is crucial for resveratrol-stimulating muscular glucose uptake via both insulin-dependent and -independent pathways. Diabetes 57, 1814–1823. , , , &
- 2006. Transcriptional regulation of metabolism. Physiol. Rev. 86, 465–514. , &
- 2008. Insulin redirects differentiation from cardiogenic mesoderm and endoderm to neuroectoderm in differentiating human embryonic stem cells. Stem Cells 26, 724–733. , , , , , , , & .
- 2009. On the role of FOX transcription factors in adipocyte differentiation and insulin-stimulated glucose uptake. J. Biol. Chem. 284, 10755–10763. , , , , &
- 2012. The relation among NGF, EGF and insulin is important for triggering pancreatic beta cell apoptosis. Diabetes Metab. Res. Rev. 28, 654–662. , &
- 2007. Active regulator of SIRT1 cooperates with SIRT1 and facilitates suppression of p53 activity. Mol. Cell 28, 277–290. , , &
- 2009. GATA6 mutations cause human cardiac outflow tract defects by disrupting semaphorin-plexin signaling. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 106, 13933–13938. , , , , , , , & .
- 2006. GATA-6 regulates semaphorin 3C and is required in cardiac neural crest for cardiovascular morphogenesis. J. Clin. Investig. 116, 929–939. , , , , &
- 2012. Robust cardiomyocyte differentiation from human pluripotent stem cells via temporal modulation of canonical Wnt signaling. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 109, E1848–E1857. , , , , , , , , & .
- 2013. Insulin inhibits cardiac mesoderm, not mesendoderm, formation during cardiac differentiation of human pluripotent stem cells and modulation of canonical Wnt signaling can rescue this inhibition. Stem Cells 31, 447–457. , , , &
- 2008. A crucial role of a high mobility group protein HMGA2 in cardiogenesis. Nat. Cell Biol. 10, 567–574. , , , , , , , , , , & .
- 1999. Bone morphogenetic proteins induce cardiomyocyte differentiation through the mitogen-activated protein kinase kinase kinase TAK1 and cardiac transcription factors Csx/Nkx-2.5 and GATA-4. Mol. Cell Biol. 19, 7096–7105. , , , , , , , , , , , & .
- 2005. Phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase-Akt pathway plays a critical role in early cardiomyogenesis by regulating canonical Wnt signaling. Circ. Res. 97, 144–151. , , , , , & .
- 2011. Coordinated regulation of differentiation and proliferation of embryonic cardiomyocytes by a jumonji (Jarid2)-cyclin D1 pathway. Development 138, 1771–1782. , , , , , , , , , , , , , & .
- 2003. A Wnt- and beta-catenin-dependent pathway for mammalian cardiac myogenesis. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 100, 5834–5839. , , &
- 2003. Transcriptional activation of BMP-4 and regulation of mammalian organogenesis by GATA-4 and -6. Dev. Biol. 254, 131–148. &
- 2006. Not only insulin stimulates mitochondriogenesis in muscle cells, but mitochondria are also essential for insulin-mediated myogenesis. Cell Prolif. 39, 127–145. , , &
- 2012. Hypoxia-induced modulation of apoptosis and BCL-2 family proteins in different cancer cell types. PLoS ONE 7, e47519. , , , , , , , & .
- 2008. Trichostatin A improves insulin stimulated glucose utilization and insulin signaling transduction through the repression of HDAC2. Biochem. Pharmacol. 76, 120–127. &
- 2008a. Differential regulation of cyclin D1 and D2 in protecting against cardiomyocyte proliferation. Cell Cycle 7, 3768–3774. , , &
- 2008b. Cardiomyocyte proliferation and protection against post-myocardial infarction heart failure by cyclin D1 and Skp2 ubiquitin ligase. Cardiovasc. Res. 80, 181–190. , , , , , , , , , , , & .
- 2002. Calcineurin-GATA-6 pathway is involved in smooth muscle-specific transcription. J. Cell Biol. 156, 983–991. , , , , , & .
- 2007. Myostatin induces cyclin D1 degradation to cause cell cycle arrest through a phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/AKT/GSK-3 beta pathway and is antagonized by insulin-like growth factor 1. J. Biol. Chem. 282, 3799–3808. , , , &
- 2012. Targeting insulin and insulin-like growth factor signaling in breast cancer. J. Mammary Gland Biol. Neoplasia 17, 251–61. &
- 2013. miR-200b targets GATA-4 during cell growth and differentiation. RNA Biol. 10, 465–480. , , , , , , , , , , & .
- 2012. Transcription factor GATA-6 recruits PPARalpha to cooperatively activate Glut4 gene expression. J. Mol. Biol. 415, 143–158. , , , , , , , & .
- 2005. GATA-6 can act as a positive or negative regulator of smooth muscle-specific gene expression. J. Biol. Chem. 280, 4745–4752. &
- 2008. Loss of both GATA4 and GATA6 blocks cardiac myocyte differentiation and results in acardia in mice. Dev. Biol. 317, 614–619. , , , , &