Antagonistic and synergistic effects of bone morphogenetic protein 2/7 and all-trans retinoic acid on the osteogenic differentiation of rat bone marrow stromal cells
Version of Record online: 2 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors Development, Growth & Differentiation © 2013 Japanese Society of Developmental Biologists
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Volume 55, Issue 9, pages 744–754, December 2013
How to Cite
Bi, W., Gu, Z., Zheng, Y., Wang, L., Guo, J. and Wu, G. (2013), Antagonistic and synergistic effects of bone morphogenetic protein 2/7 and all-trans retinoic acid on the osteogenic differentiation of rat bone marrow stromal cells. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 55: 744–754. doi: 10.1111/dgd.12090
- Issue online: 18 DEC 2013
- Version of Record online: 2 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 7 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 27 MAY 2013
- Natural Science Foundation of Zhejiang Province. Grant Numbers: Y2111175 , Y2101440
- 2004. Nuclear retinoid receptors and the transcription of retinoid-target genes. Gene 328, 1–16. &
- 2002. Use of recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 to achieve posterolateral lumbar spine fusion in humans: a prospective, randomized clinical pilot trial: 2002 Volvo Award in clinical studies. Spine 27, 2662–2673. , , &
- 2010. Retinoic acid inhibits osteogenic differentiation of mouse embryonic palate mesenchymal cells. Birth Defects Res. A Clin. Mol. Teratol. 88, 965–970. , , &
- 2003. Smad-dependent and Smad-independent pathways in TGF-beta family signalling. Nature 425, 577–584. &
- 2011. Effects of nerve growth factor and Noggin-modified bone marrow stromal cells on stroke in rats. J. Neurosci. Res. 89, 222–230. , , &
- 2000. The osteoblast: a sophisticated fibroblast under central surveillance. Science 289, 1501–1504. , &
- 2003. Activation of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase and c-Jun-NH2-terminal kinase by BMP-2 and their implication in the stimulation of osteoblastic cell differentiation. J. Bone Miner. Res. 18, 2060–2068. , , , , &
- 2012. The signaling and functions of heterodimeric bone morphogenetic proteins. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev. 23, 61–67. &
- 2010. Intra-articular injections of bone morphogenetic protein-7 retard progression of existing cartilage degeneration. J. Orthop. Res. 28, 1502–1506. , , , , &
- 2005. Transforming growth factor-beta-activated kinase-1 (TAK1), a MAP3K, interacts with Smad proteins and interferes with osteogenesis in murine mesenchymal progenitors. J. Biol. Chem. 280, 27271–27283. , , , , , , , & .
- 2007. Biological designer self-assembling Peptide nanofiber scaffolds significantly enhance osteoblast proliferation, differentiation and 3-D migration. PLoS ONE 2, e190. , , &
- 2004. BMP-2 exerts differential effects on differentiation of rabbit bone marrow stromal cells grown in two-dimensional and three-dimensional systems and is required for in vitro bone formation in a PLGA scaffold. Exp. Cell Res. 299, 325–334. , , , , , , & .
- 2002. Noggin blocks osteoinductive activity of porcine enamel extracts. J. Dent. Res. 81, 387–391. , , , , &
- 2004. Vitamin A differentially regulates RANKL and OPG expression in human osteoblasts. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 322, 162–167. , , &
- 2000. Direct stimulation of osteoclastic bone resorption by bone morphogenetic protein (BMP)-2 and expression of BMP receptors in mature osteoclasts. Bone 27, 479–486. , , , , , , , , & .
- 2011. Retinoic acid receptor gamma-dependent signaling cooperates with BMP2 to induce osteoblastic differentiation of C2C12 cells. Connect. Tissue Res. 52, 365–372. , , , &
- 2002. Coordinate gene expression patterns during osteoblast maturation and retinoic acid treatment of MC3T3-E1 cells. J. Bone Miner. Metab. 20, 269–280. , , , , &
- 1993. Function of retinoic acid receptor gamma in the mouse. Cell 73, 643–658. , , , , &
- 2003. Integration of Smad and MAPK pathways: a link and a linker revisited. Genes Dev. 17, 2993–2997.
- 2003. Serum retinol levels and the risk of fracture. N. Engl. J. Med. 348, 287–294. , , &
- 1999. Signal transduction by bone morphogenetic protein receptors: functional roles of Smad proteins. Bone 25, 91–93.
- 2002. The mode of bone morphogenetic protein (BMP) receptor oligomerization determines different BMP-2 signaling pathways. J. Biol. Chem. 277, 5330–5338. , , , , , & .
- 1994. The two faces of growth: benefits and risks to bone integrity. Osteoporos. Int. 4, 382–398.
- 1997. Bone morphogenetic proteins: an unconventional approach to isolation of first mammalian morphogens. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev. 8, 11–20.
- 1995. Retinoic acid directly stimulates osteoclastic bone resorption and gene expression of cathepsin K/OC-2. Biochem. J. 309(Pt 3), 721–724. , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2010. Retinoic acid regulates bone morphogenic protein signal duration by promoting the degradation of phosphorylated Smad1. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 107, 18886–18891. , , , , , , , , , & .
- 2002. Bone morphogenetic protein and retinoic acid signaling cooperate to induce osteoblast differentiation of preadipocytes. J. Cell Biol. 159, 135–146. , &
- 2002. Recombinant human osteogenic protein-1 (bone morphogenetic protein-7) as an osteoinductive agent in spinal fusion. Spine 27, S59–65. , &
- 2013. Cell therapy with bone marrow stromal cells after intracerebral hemorrhage: impact of platelet-rich plasma scaffolds. Cytotherapy 15, 33–43. , , , , , & .
- 2008. Retinoic acid inhibits osteogenic differentiation of rat bone marrow stromal cells. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 375, 435–439. , , &
- 2012. Low-dose rhBMP2/7 heterodimer to reconstruct peri-implant bone defects: a micro-CT evaluation. J. Clin. Periodontol. 39, 98–105. , , , , , & .
- 2011. Ectopic study of tissue-engineered bone complex with enamel matrix proteins, bone marrow stromal cells in porous calcium phosphate cement scaffolds, in nude mice. Cell Prolif. 44, 274–282. , , , , , & .
- 2009. Coumestrol promotes proliferation and osteoblastic differentiation in rat bone marrow stromal cells. J. Biomed. Mater. Res. B Appl. Biomater. 90, 621–628. , &
- 2011. Recombinant BMP 4/7 fusion protein induces differentiation of bone marrow stem cells. J. Cell. Biochem. 112, 3054–3060. , , , , &
- 2010. rhBMP2/7 heterodimer: an osteoblastogenesis inducer of not higher potency but lower effective concentration compared with rhBMP2 and rhBMP7 homodimers. Tissue Eng. Part A 16, 879–887. , , , , &
- 2004. Combined bone morphogenetic protein-2 and -7 gene transfer enhances osteoblastic differentiation and spine fusion in a rodent model. J. Bone Miner. Res. 19, 2021–2032. , , , , , , , & .