Stretching cell morphogenesis during late neurulation and mild neural tube defects
Article first published online: 28 MAY 2014
© 2014 The Author Development, Growth & Differentiation © 2014 Japanese Society of Developmental Biologists
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Volume 56, Issue 6, pages 425–433, August 2014
How to Cite
Korzh, V. (2014), Stretching cell morphogenesis during late neurulation and mild neural tube defects. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 56: 425–433. doi: 10.1111/dgd.12143
- Issue published online: 28 AUG 2014
- Article first published online: 28 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 APR 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 21 APR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 1 APR 2014
- Agency for Science, Technology and Research of Singapore
- 2014. Patterning and growth control by membrane-tethered Wingless. Nature 505, 180–185. , &
- 1957. Possible factors in the development of the Arnold-Chiari malformation. J. Neurosurg. 14, 285–301. , &
- 1991. Generative rules for the morphogenesis of epithelial tubes. J. Theor. Biol. 152, 455–468. &
- 1988. Formation of the central canal and dorsal glial septum in the spinal cord of the domestic cat. J. Anat. 159, 37–47.
- 2001. Towards a cellular and molecular understanding of neurulation. Dev. Dyn. 221, 117–145. &
- 2003. The genetic basis of mammalian neurulation. Nat. Rev. Genet. 4, 784–793. , &
- 1993. Sturgeon Fishes. Developmental Biology and Aquaculture. Springer Verlag, Berlin, 300 pp. , &
- 2014. Somites without a clock. Science 343, 791–795. , , , &
- 2002. Hydromyelia in a Reeves' muntjac (Muntiacus reevesi). J. Zoo Wild Med. 33, 256–262. , &
- 2008. Zic1 and Zic4 regulate zebrafish roof plate specification and hindbrain ventricle morphogenesis. Dev. Biol. 314, 376–392. , , , &
- 1998. Viscoelastic properties of living embryonic tissues: a quantitative study. Biophys. J . 74, 2227–2234. , , &
- 1996. Surface tensions of embryonic tissues predict their mutual envelopment behavior. Development 122, 1611–1620. , , &
- 2008. Novel roles for collagens in wiring the vertebrate nervous system. Curr. Opin. Cell Biol. 20, 508–513.
- 2008. Cellular trafficking of the glypican Dally-like is required for full-strength Hedgehog signaling and wingless transcytosis. Dev. Cell 14, 712–725. , &
- 1950. The surgical treatment of Arnold-Chiari malformation in adults; an explanation of its mechanism and importance of encephalography in diagnosis. J. Neurosurg. 7, 199–206. &
- 2003. A 90-degree rotation of the mitotic spindle changes the orientation of mitoses of zebrafish neuroepithelial cells. Development 130, 3767–3780. , , &
- 1997. Genetic patterning of the developing mouse tail at the time of posterior neuropore closure. Dev. Dyn. 210, 431–445. , &
- 2010. Epithelial relaxation mediated by the myosin phosphatase regulator Mypt1 is required for brain ventricle lumen expansion and hindbrain morphogenesis. Development 137, 795–804. &
- 2003. Shroom induces apical constriction and is required for hingepoint formation during neural tube closure. Curr. Biol. 13, 2125–2137. , , &
- 2010. An update to the list of mouse mutants with neural tube closure defects and advances toward a complete genetic perspective of neural tube closure. Birth Defects Res. Part A Clin. Mol. Teratol. 88, 653–669. &
- 2005. Shroom regulates epithelial cell shape via the apical positioning of an actomyosin network. J. Cell Sci., 118 5191–5203.
- 1999. Shroom, a PDZ domain-containing actin-binding protein, is required for neural tube morphogenesis in mice. Cell 99, 485–497. &
- 1874. Unsere Körperform und das Physiologische Problem Ihrer Enstehung. Briefe an Einen Befreundeten Naturforscher. Leipzig: F.C.W. Vogel, pp. 12. .
- 1999. Idiopathic localized hydromyelia: dilatation of the central canal of the spinal cord of probable congenital origin. J. Comput. Assist. Tomogr. 23, 351–353. &
- 2008. Multiplicity of cerebrospinal fluid functions: new challenges in health and disease. Cerebrospinal Fluid. Res. 5, 10. , , , , &
- 2013. Dhrs3 protein attenuates retinoic acid signaling and is required for early embryonic patterning. J. Biol. Chem. 288, 31477–31487. , , , , , , , &
- 1974. The mechanisms of neural tube formation. Int. Rev. Cytol. 38, 245–271.
- 2008. Apical accumulation of Rho in the neural plate is important for neural plate cell shape change and neural tube formation. Mol. Biol. Cell 19, 2289–2299. , , &
- 1998. Essential roles for the Abl and Arg tyrosine kinases in neurulation. Neuron 21, 1259–1272. , , , , , &
- 2014. Developmental biology. Self-organizing somites. Science 343, 736–737.
- 2013. Stretching morphogenesis of the roof plate and formation of the central canal. PLoS ONE 8, e56219. , , &
- 1861. Entwicklungsgeschichte des Menschen und der Höheren Tiere. Leipzig: Engelmann. pp. 46–51. .
- 2010. Endocytosis is required for efficient apical constriction during Xenopus gastrulation. Curr. Biol. 20, 253–258. &
- 2011. Interactions between Cdx genes and retinoic acid modulate early cardiogenesis. Dev. Biol. 354, 134–142. , , , , , , &
- 2009. Fluorescence and electron microscopic localization of F-actin in the ependymocytes. J. Histochem. Cytochem. 57, 741–751. , , &
- 2010. The pluripotency regulator Zic3 is a direct activator of the Nanog promoter in ESCs. Stem Cells 28, 1961–1969. , , &
- 2007. Zic3 is required for maintenance of pluripotency in embryonic stem cells. Mol. Biol. Cell 18, 1348–1358. , , , , , , , &
- 2004. The Wnt signaling pathway in development and disease. Annu. Rev. Cell Dev. Biol. 20, 781–810. &
- 2004. Strategies of vertebrate neurulation and a re-evaluation of teleost neural tube formation. Mech. Dev. 121, 1189–1197. &
- 2004. Mena and vasodilator-stimulated phosphoprotein are required for multiple actin-dependent processes that shape the vertebrate nervous system. J. Neurosci. 24, 8029–8038. , , , , , , , &
- 2009. Secreted Frizzled-related proteins enhance the diffusion of Wnt ligands and expand their signalling range. Development 136, 4083–4088. &
- 2000. Classification of syringomyelia. Neurosurg. Focus 8, E1.
- 1769. The Seats and Causes of Diseases as Investigated by Anatomy. 3 volumes, Translated by Benjamin Alexander. London: Miller & T Candell Publishers. .
- 2003. Analysis of type IX collagen in zebrafish axial development. PhD Thesis, National University of Singapore. .
- 2004. The primitive streak, the caudal eminence and related structures in staged human embryos. Cells Tissues Organs. 177, 2–20. &
- 2008. Regulation of neurocoel morphogenesis by Pard6 gamma b. Dev. Biol. 324, 41–54. , , , , , , , &
- 1990. ‘Generic’ physical mechanisms of morphogenesis and pattern formation. Development 110, 1–18. &
- 2008. Shroom3-mediated recruitment of Rho kinases to the apical cell junctions regulates epithelial and neuroepithelial planar remodeling. Development 135, 1493–1502. &
- 2009. A novel genetic mechanism regulates dorsolateral hinge-point formation during zebrafish cranial neurulation. J. Cell Sci. 122, 2137–2148. , &
- 2002. The two sites of fusion of the neural folds and the two neuropores in the human embryo. Teratology 65, 162–170. &
- 2011. Cats, frogs, and snakes: early concepts of neural tube defects. J. Child Neurol. 26, 1452–1461.
- 2003) Exploration of the human spinal cord. Micscape Microscopy; http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/artapr03/gohisto3.html. (
- 2013. Mutation in folate metabolism causes epigenetic instability and transgenerational effects on development. Cell 155, 81–93. , , , , , , , , , &
- 1984. Experimental induction of cranioschisis aperta and exencephaly after neural tube closure A rat model. J. Neurol. Sci. 66, 235–243.
- 2006. Etiology, pathogenesis and prevention of neural tube defects. Congenit Anom (Kyoto) 46, 55–67.
- 2009. Mouse hitchhiker mutants have spina bifida, dorso-ventral patterning defects and polydactyly: identification of Tulp3 as a novel negative regulator of the Sonic hedgehog pathway. Hum. Mol. Genet. 18, 1719–1739. , , , , , , , , &
- 2002. Contribution of birth defects to infant mortality in the United States. Teratology 66(Suppl 1), S3–S6. , , , , &
- 2010. Defining the line between hydromyelia and syringomyelia. A differentiation is possible based on electrophysiological and magnetic resonance imaging studies. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 152, 213–219. discussion 219. , , , &
- 2011. Specificity of Drosophila cytonemes for distinct signaling pathways. Science 332, 354–358. , &
- 2006. Syringomyelia: current concepts in pathogenesis, diagnosis, and treatment. J. Vet. Intern. Med. 20, 469–479. , &
- 2008. Disorders of segmentation of the neural tube: chiari malformations. Handb Clin. Neurol. 87, 89–103.
- 2010. Apical constriction: a cell shape change that can drive morphogenesis. Dev. Biol. 341, 5–19. , , , , &
- 1984. Histological and ultrastructural studies of secondary neurulation in mouse embryos. Am. J. Anat. 169, 361–376.
- 2013. Folic acid supplementation, dietary folate intake during pregnancy and risk for spontaneous preterm delivery: a prospective observational cohort study. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 13, 160. , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2009. Role of radial glia in transformation of the primitive lumen to the central canal in the developing rat spinal cord. Cell. Mol. Neurobiol. 29, 927–936. , &
- 1990. Molecular and cellular characterization of the glial roof plate of the spinal cord and optic tectum: a possible role for a proteoglycan in the development of an axon barrier. Dev. Biol. 138, 359–376. , &
- 2006. Gastrulation in zebrafish – all just about adhesion? Curr. Opin. Genet. Dev. 16, 433–441.
- 2011. Syringohydromyelia in horses: 3 cases. Can. Vet. J. 52, 147–152. , , , , , &
- 1994. Early neurogenesis in the zebrafish embryo. FASEB J. 8, 692–698. &
- 2000. Wingless gradient formation in the Drosophila wing. Curr. Biol. 10, 293–300. &
- 2012. Molecular mechanisms of cell shape changes that contribute to vertebrate neural tube closure. Dev. Growth Differ. 54, 266–276. , &
- 2010. Wnt won the war: antagonistic role of Wnt over Shh controls dorso-ventral patterning of the vertebrate neural tube. Dev. Dyn. 239, 69–76. &
- 2013. Chiari malformation type I: a case-control association study of 58 developmental genes. PLoS ONE 8, e57241. , , , , , &
- 1993. Evidence for multi-site closure of the neural tube in humans. Am. J. Med. Genet. 47, 723–743. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & .
- 1886. Untersuchungen uber die spina bifida. Virchows Arch. [Path Anat.] 105, 243–373.
- 2009. Roles of noncanonical Wnt/PCP pathway genes in neuronal migration and neurulation in zebrafish. Zebrafish 6, 3–8. &
- 2013. The continuing challenge of understanding, preventing, and treating neural tube defects. Science 339, 1222002. , , &
- 2011. RACK1 regulates VEGF/Flt1-mediated cell migration via activation of a PI3K/Akt pathway. J. Biol. Chem. 286, 9097–9106. , , , , &
- 2013. Genome wide analysis reveals zic3 interaction with distal regulatory elements of stage specific developmental genes in zebrafish. PLoS Genet. 9, e1003852. , , , , , , , , &
- 2008. Wnt signaling determines ventral spinal cord cell fates in a time-dependent manner. Development 135, 3687–3696. , , &
- 2010. Hydromyelia in demyelinating and disimmune myelopathy. J. Neurology 42, 115–120. , , &