Efficacy of interventions to improve motor performance in children with developmental coordination disorder: a combined systematic review and meta-analysis
Article first published online: 29 OCT 2012
© The Authors. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology © 2012 Mac Keith Press
Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology
Volume 55, Issue 3, pages 229–237, March 2013
How to Cite
SMITS-ENGELSMAN, B. C. M., BLANK, R., VAN DER KAAY, A.-C., MOSTERD-VAN DER MEIJS, R., VLUGT-VAN DEN BRAND, E., POLATAJKO, H. J. and WILSON, P. H. (2013), Efficacy of interventions to improve motor performance in children with developmental coordination disorder: a combined systematic review and meta-analysis. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology, 55: 229–237. doi: 10.1111/dmcn.12008
- Issue published online: 8 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 29 OCT 2012
- Accepted for publication 25th July 2012. , Published online.
- 2American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (4th edn, text revision). Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association, 2000.
- 8Subtypes of developmental coordination disorder. In: Cermak SA, Larkin D, editors. Developmental Coordination Disorder. Albany, NY: Delmar Thomson Learning, 2002: 40–53..
- 9The application of cognitive orientation to daily occupational performance (CO-OP) with children 5–7 years with developmental coordination disorder. Br J Occup Ther2004; 67: 257–64., .
- 11Clumsiness in adolescence: educational, motor, and social outcomes of motor delay detected at 5 years. Adapt Phys Activ Q1994; 11: 115–29., , .
- 13Children who are clumsy: 5 years later. Adapt Phys Activ Q1993; 10: 10–21., .
- 15A clinical trial of the process-oriented treatment approach for children with developmental co-ordination disorder. Dev Med Child Neurol1995; 7: 310–9., , , , , .
- 39Toepassing van cognitieve motorische controle theorieën in de kinderfysiotherapie: het controleren van vrijheidsgraden en beperkingen. (Application of cognitive motor control theories in pediatric physical therapy practice: controlling degrees of freedom and constraints). In: Smits-Engelsman BCM, Ham van I, Vaes P, Aufdemkampe G, Dekker den JB, editors. Jaarboek Fysiotherapie. Houten: Bohn Stafleu Van Loghum, 1998: 202–29., .
- 40Neuromotor Task Training: a new approach to treat children with DCD. In: Sugden DA, Chamers M, editors. Children with Developmental Coordination Disorder. London: Whurr, 2005: 212–27., .
- 41Ecological Intervention for Children with Movement Difficulties. London: Pearson Assessment, 2007., .
- 43An international consensus on children with developmental coordination disorder. Can J Occup Ther1995; 62: 3–6., , .
- 44American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (3rd edn, text revision). Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association, 1987.
- 45Leeds Consensus Statement. Leeds, 2006. Available from: http://www.dcd-uk.org/consensus.html (accessed 8th August 2012)., , .
- 46European Academy for Childhood Disability. European Academy for Childhood Disability (EACD): recommendations on the definition, diagnosis, and intervention of developmental coordination disorder (long version). Dev Med Child Neurol2012; 54: 54–93., , , ,
- 47Oxford Centre for Evidence-based Medicine - Levels of Evidence. Available from: http://www.cebm.net/ (accessed 8th August 2012).
- 48PEDro: Physiotherapy Evidence Database. Available from: http://www.pedro.org.au/english/downloads/pedro-scale (accessed 10th March 2010).
- 49Cooper H, Hedges LV, Valentine JC, editors. The Handbook of Research Synthesis and Meta-Analysis (2nd edn). New York: Russell Sage Foundation, 2009.
- 51Practical Meta-Analysis. (Applied social research methods series 2001, volume 49.) Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 2001., .
- 54Intervention for children with developmental coordination disorder: a systematic review. J Allied Health2007; 5: 1–11..
- 55Effects of motor intervention on developmental coordination disorder: a meta-analysis. Adapt Phys Activ Q2000; 17: 381–401., .
- 56We can cure your child’s clumsiness! A review of intervention methods. Scand J Rehabil Med1998; 30: 101–6., , , .
- 57The efficacy of sensory integration therapy for children with learning disability. Phys Occup Ther Pediatr1990; 10: 1–17., , , .
- 59Clinical evaluation of the effectiveness of sensory integrative and perceptual motor therapy in improving sensory integrative function in children with learning disabilities. Occup Ther J Res1993; 13: 163–82., , .
- 61The efficacy of sensory integration treatment comparing to tutoring. Phys Occup Ther Pediatr1992; 12: 1–37., , , , .
- 64Developmental Coordination Disorder. CanChild. [Internet]. Available from: http://dcd.canchild.ca/en/ (accessed 20th December 2011).
- 65[Inventory of referral patterns, research and treatment of children with writing problems. A digital survey]. Ned Tijdschr Kinderfysiother2009; 21: 14–8. [In Dutch]., , , et al.