The association between children's contact with people with disabilities and their attitudes towards disability: a systematic review
Version of Record online: 13 NOV 2013
© 2013 Mac Keith Press
Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology
Volume 56, Issue 6, pages 529–546, June 2014
How to Cite
MacMillan, M., Tarrant, M., Abraham, C. and Morris, C. (2014), The association between children's contact with people with disabilities and their attitudes towards disability: a systematic review. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology, 56: 529–546. doi: 10.1111/dmcn.12326
- Issue online: 9 MAY 2014
- Version of Record online: 13 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 SEP 2013
- National Institute for Health Research (NIHR)
- 1Attitudes towards disability shocking say UK families with disabled children. 2009. Available at: http://www.cafamily.org.uk (accessed 20 December 2010)..
- 2A meta-analysis of school-age children's attitudes towards persons with physical or intellectual disabilities. Int J Disabil Dev Educ 2002; 49: 243–65., .
- 5The Nature of Prejudice. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley Publishing, 1954..
- 8Department of Education. Support and aspiration: a new approach to special educational needs and disability. 2012. Available at: http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/pupilsupport/sen (accessed 29 May 2013).
- 9Guidance on the Conduct of Narrative Synthesis in Systematic Reviews. A Product from the ESRC Methods Programme. Lancaster: University of Lancaster, 2006., , , et al.
- 13Contact with mainstreamed disabled children and attitudes towards disability: a multidimensional analysis. Educ Psychol 1988; 8: 161–8..
- 14Children's attitudes toward a nonspeaking child using various augmentative and alternative communication techniques. Augment Altern Commun 1993; 9: 243–50., , , .
- 16Can contact affect Greek children's understanding of and attitudes towards peers with physical disabilities? Eur J Spec Needs Educ 2009; 24: 213–20., .
- 21Acceptance of severely handicapped students by nonhandicapped peers. J Assoc Pers Sev Handicaps 1986; 11: 216–9., , , .
- 24An analysis of Q-variables associated with attitudes toward adolescent handicapped peers. J Spec Educ 1992; 16: 201–11., .
- 26Contact theory and attitudes of children in physical education programs toward peers with disabilities. Adapt Phys Activ Q 1995; 12: 323–32., , .
- 27Social Development. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing, 1996..
- 28Social developmental parameters in primary schools: inclusive settings' and gender differences on pupils' aggressive and social insecure behaviour and their attitudes towards disability. Int J Spec Educ 2011; 26: 58–69., , , , .
- 29From intentions to actions: a theory of planned behavior. In: Kuhl J, Beckman J, editors. Action-Control: From Cognition to Behavior. Heidelberg: Springer, 1985: 11–39..
- 30An application of the theory of planned behavior to examine the impact of classroom inclusion on elementary school students. [Research Support, Non-US Gov't. J Evid Based Soc Work 2010; 7: 235–50..
- 31An integrative theory of intergroup conflict. In: Austin WG, Austin , Worchel S, editors. The Social Psychology of Intergroup Relations. Monterey, CA: Brooks/Cole, 1079: 33–47., .
- 32Adolescents' perceptions of young people with severe learning difficulties: the effects of integration schemes and frequency of contact. Educ Psychol 1995; 15: 149–59., .
- 37High school-aged youths' attitudes toward their peers with disabilities: the role of school and student interpersonal factors. Int J Disabil Dev Educ 2004; 51: 287–313., , , , .
- 38The Measurement of Attitudes Toward Disabled Persons. Albertson, NY: Human Resources Center, 1966., , .
- 39Children's attitude toward handicapped students as a result of mainstreamed settings. Ment Retard Bull 1978; 6: 92–7., , .
- 40Adolescent attitudes toward disabled persons in an integrated and nonintegrated school setting. Education 1980; 100: 390–4., .
- 42Attitudes of nonhandicapped elementary school students toward school-aged trainable mentally retarded students. Educ Train Ment Retard 1982; 17: 30–4..
- 44Outcomes of interactions with peers with moderate or severe disabilities: a statewide survey of high school students. J Assoc Pers Serv Handicaps 1994; 19: 263–76., , .
- 45The effects of integration, social contact, and information on attitudes toward persons with special needs. Can J Spec Educ 1996; 11: 79–99., .
- 46A cross-cultural examination of typically developing children's attitudes toward individuals with special needs. Int J Disabil Dev Educ 2005; 52: 101–19., , , , , .
- 50Factors related to the attitudes of nonretarded children toward their EMR peers. Am J Ment Defic 1974; 79: 412–6..
- 56Development and validation of the Children's Attitudes Toward Integrated Physical Education-Revised (CAIPE-R) inventory. Adapt Phys Activ Q 1995; 12: 60–77..
- 58Research with the Attitude Toward Disabled Persons scales (ATDP) 1960–1985. New York, NY: Hofstra University, 1986., .
- 60Peers Attitudes Toward the Handicapped Scale (PATHS). Austin, TX: PRO-ED, 1984., , editors.
- 62The Measurement of Attitudes Toward People with Disabilities: Methods, Psychometrics and Scales. Springfield IL: Charles C Thomas, 1988., .
- 67The effect of social contact on college students' attitudes toward severely handicapped students and their educational integration. J Ment Defic Res 1991; 35(Pt 4): 339–52..
- 69Measuring social distances. J Appl Soc 1925; 9: 229–308..
- 70The Measurement of Measuring. Urbana, IL: University of Illinois Press, 1957., , .
- 71Reference handbook for the Gough Adjective Check-List. Berkley: University of California Institute of Pesonality Assessment and Research, 1955..
- 72Influences on Attitudes towards Children with Mental Handicap. Eur J Spec Needs Educ 1995; 10: 1–16., .
- 78Instruments for Measuring Children's Attitudes Toward the Handicapped. Boston, MA: University of Massachusetts, 1980..
- 79The Acceptance Scale, Revised. Boulder, CO: Roots and Wings, 1999., .
- 80Attitudes towards minority groups as a construct in assessing attitudes towards the mentally retarded. Educ Train Ment Retard 1971; 6: 142–7..
- 82The Peer-Peer Program: A Model Project for the Integration of Severely Physically Handicapped Youngsters with Nondisabled Peers. New York: Human Resources School, 1977., editor.
- 83Developing positive changes in attitudes towards moderately/severely handicapped students through a peer tutoring program. Educ Train Ment Retard 1984; 19: 83–90., .
- 84Structure of Attitudes Toward the Physically Disabled: Disability Factor Scales-Amputations, Blindness, Cosmetic Conditions. New York: New York University School of Education, 1967..