Investigating Poverty through the Lens of Riches – Immigration and Segregation in Indian Capture Fisheries
Article first published online: 23 DEC 2013
© The Author 2013. Development Policy Review © 2013 Overseas Development Institute.
Development Policy Review
Volume 32, Issue 1, pages 33–52, January 2014
How to Cite
Bavinck, M. (2014), Investigating Poverty through the Lens of Riches – Immigration and Segregation in Indian Capture Fisheries. Development Policy Review, 32: 33–52. doi: 10.1111/dpr.12042
- Issue published online: 23 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 23 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 1 OCT 2010
- 1987) ‘A Malaysian Tragedy of the Commons’, in B.J. McCay and J.M. Acheson (eds), The Question of the Commons – The culture and ecology of communal resources. Tuscon, AZ: University of Arizona Press. (
- 2005) Historical Reconstruction of Indian Marine Fisheries Catches, 1950-2000, as a Basis for Testing the Marine Trophic Index. Research Report. Vancouver: Fisheries Centre, University of British Columbia. (
- 2011a) ‘The Mega-Engineering of Ocean Fisheries: A century of expansion and rapidly closing frontiers’, in S.D. Brunn (ed.), Engineering Earth: The impacts of mega-engineering projects. Dordrecht: Kluwer. (
- 2011b) ‘Wealth, Poverty and Immigration in the Fisheries of Tamil Nadu, India: The role of institutions’, in S. Jentoft and A. Eide (eds), Poverty Mosaics: Realities and prospects in small-scale fisheries. Dordrecht: Springer. (
- 2005) ‘Understanding Fisheries Conflicts in the South – A legal pluralist perspective’, Society and Natural Resources 18 (9): 805–20. (
- 2003) ‘The Spatially Splintered State: Myths and realities in the regulation of marine fisheries in Tamil Nadu, India’, Development and Change 34 (4): 633–57. (
- 2001) Marine Resource Management. Conflict and regulation in the fisheries of the Coromandel Coast. New Delhi: Sage. (
- 1997) ‘Changing Balance of Power at Sea; Motorization of artisanal fishing craft’, Economic and Political Weekly 32 (5): 198–200. (
- 2011) ‘Social Dimensions of Marine Protected Areas: How fishing communities in India perceive issues of conservation and livelihoods’, Environmental Management 47 (4): 593–602. and (
- 2008) ‘Handling the Legacy of the Blue Revolution in India – Social justice and small-scale fisheries in a negative growth scenario’, American Fisheries Society Symposium 49: 585–99. and (
- 2006a) ‘A History of Nets and Bans: Restrictions on technical innovation along the Coromandel Coast of India’, Maritime Studies – MAST 5 (1): 45–59. and (
- 2006b) Legal Pluralism in the Marine Fisheries of Ramnad District, Tamil Nadu, India. IDPAD Working Paper No. 2. New Delhi and The Hague: Indo-Dutch Program for Alternatives in Development. and (
- 1995) ‘Property Rights and Common Resources’. Paper read at Conference on Agrarian Questions, Wageningen, The Netherlands, 22-24 May. (
- Benda-Beckmann, F. von, Benda-Beckmann, K. von and Wiber, M.G. (eds) (2006) Changing Properties of Property. Oxford: Berghahn Books.
- 2003) ‘When Fishery Rhymes with Poverty: A first step beyond the old paradigm on poverty in small-scale fisheries’, World Development 31 (6): 949–75. (
- 2010) ‘Not by Rent Alone: Analysing the pro-poor functions of small-scale fisheries in developing countries’, Development Policy Review 28 (3): 325–58. , and (
- 2004) The Closing of the Frontier – A history of the marine fisheries of Southeast Asia c. 1850-2000. Leiden: KITLV Press. (
- Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute (CMFRI) (2005) Marine Fisheries Census 2005 Part 1. Cochin: CMFRI.
- 1957) Census of the Sea Fisherfolk and Fishing Crafts and Gear in Madras State, 1957. Madras Fisheries Statistics Report No. 53. Madras: Government Press. , and (
- 2009) ‘Wealth-Based Fisheries Management: Using fisheries wealth to orchestrate sound fisheries policy in practice’, Marine Resource Economics 24 (4): 271–87. ; ; and (
- Dalton, G. (ed.) (1967) Tribal and Peasant Economies – Readings in economic anthropology. Austin, TX: University of Texas Press.
- 2009) ‘Climate Change and Capture Fisheries: Potential impacts, adaptation and mitigation’, in K. Cochrane, C. De Young, D. Soto and Tarûb Bahri (eds), Climate Change Implications for Fisheries and Aquaculture, Overview of Current Scientific Knowledge. FAO Fisheries and Aquaculture Technical Paper 530. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization. , and (
- 2003) Fish to 2020 – Supply and demand in changing global markets Washington, DC: International Food Policy Research Institute, in association with the World Fish Centre. ; ; ; and (
- Department of Fisheries (Tamil Nadu) (2000) Tamil Nadu Marine Fisherfolk Census Year 2000. Chennai: Government of Tamil Nadu.
- Director of Fisheries (1982) Census Report on Marine Fisheries. Madras: Government of Tamil Nadu;.
- 2011) ‘Avoiding Poverty – Distributing wealth in fisheries’, in S. Jentoft and A. Eide (eds), Poverty Mosaics: Realities and prospects in small-scale fisheries. Dordrecht: Springer. , and (
- Food and Agriculture Organization (2012) The State of World Fisheries and Aquaculture 2012. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization.
- Food and Agriculture Organization (2010) The State of World Fisheries and Aquaculture 2010. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization.
- Food and Agriculture Organization (2009) The State of World Fisheries and Aquaculture 2008. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization.
- Food and Agriculture Organization (2005) Increasing the Contribution of Small-Scale Fisheries to Poverty Alleviation and Food Security. FAO Technical Guidelines for Responsible Fisheries 10. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization.
- Food and Agriculture Organization (1999) Number of Fishers 1970–1996. Rome: Fishery Information Data and Statistics Unit, Food and Agriculture Organization.
- Government of Tamil Nadu (2003) Human Development Report. New Delhi: Social Science Press.
- 1968) ‘The Tragedy of the Commons’, Science 162 (3859): 1243–48. (
- 2004) ‘“When the Shore Seine is Shot, the Whole Village Eats!” The change in shore seine organization in Valinokkam village and the decline of shore seining in southern Ramnad District, Tamil Nadu, India’. Unpublished MA thesis. Amsterdam: University of Amsterdam. (
- 2011) ‘Setting the Stage’, in S. Jentoft and A. Eide (eds), Poverty Mosaics: Realities and prospects in small-scale fisheries. Dordrecht: Springer. and (
- 2011) ‘A Better Future – Prospects for small-scale fishing people’, in S. Jentoft and A. Eide (eds), Poverty Mosaics: Realities and prospects in small-scale fisheries. Dordrecht: Springer. ; ; ; and (
- 2009) ‘Fisheries Co-Management and Legal Pluralism: How an analytical problem becomes an institutional one’, Human Organization 68 (1): 27–38. ; ; and (
- 2006) ‘Category, Narrative, and Value in the Governance of Small-Scale Fisheries’, Marine Policy 30 (6): 747–56. (
- 1995) ‘Income Spreading Mechanisms in Common Property Resource – Karanila system in Kerala's fishery’, Economic and Political Weekly 15 July: 1780–85. (
- 1978) ‘Entry of Big Business into Fishing, its Impact on Fish Economy’, Economic and Political Weekly 13 (36): 1557–65. (
- 2002) Literature Review of Studies on Poverty in Fishing Communities and of Lessons Learned in Using the Sustainable Livelihoods Approach in Poverty Alleviation Strategies and Projects. Fisheries Circular No. 979. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization. and (
- Madras Fisheries Bureau (1916) Madras Fisheries Statistics and Information, West and East Coasts. Bulletin 9. Madras: Fisheries Bureau.
- 1986) The Fishermen's Problem – Ecology and law in the California fisheries 1850-1980. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. (
- 2003) ‘The Future for Fisheries’, Science 302 (5649): 1359–61. , , and (
- 1989) ‘The Dynamics of Fisheries Development in Developing Countries: A general overview’, Development and Change 20 (4): 565–99. (
- 1997) ‘Two to Tango: The role of government in fisheries co-management’, Marine Policy 21 (5): 465–80. and (
- 2008) Marine Protected Areas in India. SAMUDRA Monograph. Chennai: International Collective for the Support of Fishworkers. (
- 1991) Mukkuvar Women – Gender, hegemony and capitalist transformation in a South Indian fishing community. London and Atlantic Highlands, NJ: Zed Books Ltd. (
- 2008) ‘The Social, Economic, Technological and Environmental Aspects of Beachseining in India’. Unpublished report. Kakinada: Integrated Coastal Management. (
- 2006) Trends in Poverty and Livelihoods in Coastal Fishing Communities of Orissa State, India. Fisheries Technical Paper 490. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization. (
- 2004) Policy Research: Implications of liberalization of fish trade for developing countries – A case study for India. Report Project PR 26109. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization. (
- 1993) ‘Property Rights Regimes and Coastal Fisheries – An empirical analysis’, in T.L. Anderson and R.T. Simmons (eds), The Political Economy of Customs and Culture – Informal solutions to the commons problem. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield. and (
- 2000) ‘The Industrialization of the World Ocean’, Ocean & Coastal Management 43 (1): 11–28. (
- 1994) ‘The Development and Management of the World Ocean’, Ocean & Coastal Management 24 (1): 3–16. (
- 1991) ‘The North Sea: Sea use management and planning’, Ocean & Shoreline Management 16 (3-4): 383–95. (
- 2009) Shorelines – Space and rights in South India. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press. (
- 2005) Conflict over Fisheries in the Palk Bay Region. New Delhi: Lancer Publishers & Distributors. (
- 1989) ‘Political Economy of Fishing: A study of an indigenous social system in Tamilnadu’. PhD Dissertation. University of Madras. (
- 2007) ‘Fisheries and Poverty Reduction’, CAB Review: Perspectives in Agriculture, Veterinary Science, Nutrition and Natural Resources 2 (085): 2–12. , and (
- 2001) ‘Globalisation and the Sustainability of World Fisheries: A view from Latin America’, Marine Resource Economics 16 (2): 143–64. and (
- United Nations, Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division (2011) World Population Prospects: The 2010 revision. http://esa.un.org/unpp (accessed 1 August 2011).
- 2005) ‘Fishing the Marine Food Web along the Indian Coast’, Fisheries Research 72 (2-3): 241–52. , and (
- 2001) ‘Systematic Distortions in World Fisheries Catch Trends’, Nature 414 (29): 534–6. and (
- World Bank and FAO (2008) The Sunken Billions – The economic justification for fisheries reform. Washington, DC: Agriculture and Rural Development Department, World Bank and Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization.
- 2006) ‘Impacts of Biodiversity Loss on Ocean Ecosystem Services’, Science 314 (5800): 787–90. ; ; and (