He has worked in the design industry for 40 years as a designer, design manager, consultant, and corporate director of design leadership. Now he is an independent specialist working with companies in many countries to secure strategic value from their design investment through business-based design direction and design implementation planning.
Version of Record online: 21 JAN 2014
© 2014 The Design Management Institute
Design Management Review
Volume 24, Issue 4, pages 4–9, Winter 2013
How to Cite
Schupbach, J., Turner, R. and Steinberg, M. (2013), Q&A. Design Management Review, 24: 4–9. doi: 10.1111/drev.10256
Turner works for businesses across a wide range of industries, including transportation, local and national government, city planning, public broadcasting, household and leisure product manufacturing, and construction. He is also a non-executive director of Image Now, Ireland's leading branding consultancy.
Turner is also one of the few design professionals who has held senior posts on both sides of the client-designer divide, having been group design director for two commercial companies, as well as managing director of two international multidisciplinary design consultancies.
His new book, Design Leadership: Securing the Strategic Value of Design, is reviewed on page 47.
Steinberg is the former director of strategic design at the Finnish Innovation Fund, where he launched a portfolio of initiatives to address the acute need for strategic improvement in the public sector. He is currently the chairman of the board of the Museum of Finnish Architecture and serves as advisor to many organizations. He also served for 10 years as an associate professor at the Harvard Design School. He has advised governments on SME and design funding strategies, and headed his own design and architecture practice.
- Issue online: 21 JAN 2014
- Version of Record online: 21 JAN 2014
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!