I am indebted to Antonio Ciccone, two anonymous referees and Torsten Persson whose comments and suggestions substantially improved the exposition of the article. The idea of examining the second question (the impact of sweet potatoes) originates from a conversation with Nathan Nunn. Philippe Aghion, Ying Bai, Davide Cantoni, Shuji Cao, James Fenske, Masayuki Kudamatsu, Dwight Perkins, Nancy Qian, James Robinson, David Strömberg and the participants at the Asian Economic History Conference, HiCN Workshop, EEA, LSE Economics History Workshop, STICERD Work in Progress, IIES and SITE Stockholm provided helpful comments. I thank Wenxin Du for jointly collecting the grain prices data with me and Carol Shiue for sharing her granary storage data. Editorial assistance was provided by Christina Lönnblad and financial support was provided by Handelsbanken's Research Foundations. Any remaining mistakes are my own.
Weather Shocks, Sweet Potatoes and Peasant Revolts in Historical China
Version of Record online: 1 JUL 2013
© 2013 The Author(s). The Economic Journal © 2013 Royal Economic Society
The Economic Journal
Volume 124, Issue 575, pages 92–118, March 2014
How to Cite
Jia, R. (2014), Weather Shocks, Sweet Potatoes and Peasant Revolts in Historical China. The Economic Journal, 124: 92–118. doi: 10.1111/ecoj.12037
- Issue online: 17 MAR 2014
- Version of Record online: 1 JUL 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 19 MAR 2013 09:30AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 9 JUN 2011
- Handelsbanken's Research Foundations
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!