The swimming capacity of juvenile Murray cod (Maccullochella peelii): an ambush predator endemic to the Murray-Darling Basin, Australia
Article first published online: 25 SEP 2012
© 2012 John Wiley & Sons A/S
Ecology of Freshwater Fish
Volume 22, Issue 1, pages 117–126, January 2013
How to Cite
Whiterod, N. S. (2013), The swimming capacity of juvenile Murray cod (Maccullochella peelii): an ambush predator endemic to the Murray-Darling Basin, Australia. Ecology of Freshwater Fish, 22: 117–126. doi: 10.1111/eff.12009
- Issue published online: 13 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 25 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 AUG 2012
- Mallee Catchment Management Authority (Mallee CMA)
- Charles Sturt University
- 1974. A new look at statistical model identification. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control 19: 716–723.
- 2002. The evolution of thermal physiology in ectotherms. Journal of Thermal Biology 27: 249–268. , &
- 1992. The link between respiratory capacity and changing metabolic demands during growth of northern pike, Esox lucius L. Journal of Fish Biology 41B: 65–75. , &
- 2007. Diet and feeding habits of predatory fishes upstream and downstream of a low-level weir. Journal of Fish Biology 70: 879–894.
- 1978. Swimming capacity. In: Hoar, W.S. & Randall, D.J., eds. Fish physiology. New York: Academic Press, pp. 101–189.
- 1970. Water tunnel design for fisheries research. Fish Research Board of Canada Technical Report 195: 1–69. &
- 1983. Fish locomotion. London: Cambridge University Press.
- 1993. Empirical analysis of the influence of swimming pattern on the net energetic cost of swimming in fishes. Journal of Fish Biology 42: 169–183. &
- 1964. The respiratory metabolism and swimming performance of young sockeye salmon. Journal of Fisheries Research Board of Canada 21: 1183–1226.
- 1973. Metabolic rates and critical swimming speeds of sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) in relation to size and temperature. Journal of Fisheries Research Board of Canada 30: 379–387. &
- 2006. Effect of temperature on maximum swimming speed and cost of transport in juvenile European sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax). Journal of Experimental Biology 200: 3420–3428. , &
- 2005. Factorial aerobic scope is independent of temperature and primarily modulated by heart rate in exercising Murray cod (Maccullochella peelii peelii). Physiological and Biochemical Zoology 78: 347–355. , , , , &
- 1999. Relationships between riverine fish and woody debris: implications for lowland rivers. Marine and Freshwater Research 50: 941–953. &
- 2006. Murray cod an apex predator in the Murray River, Australia. Ecology of Freshwater Fish 15: 510–520.
- 2006. Effect of body mass and water temperature on the standard metabolic rate of juvenile yellow perch, Perca flavescens (Mitchill). Environmental Biology and Fishes 76: 399–407. , , &
- 1957. The aquatic respiration of fish. In: Brown, M.S., ed. The physiology of fishes. New York: Academic Press.
- 1995. Fatigue and exercise tests with fish. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology 112A: 1–20.
- 1990. Fast-start performance of rainbow trout Salmo gairdneri and northern pike Esox lucius. Journal of Experimental Biology 150: 321–342. &
- 1988. Nutrition of pond fishes. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 1984. Is a jack-of-all temperatures a master of none? Evolution 38: 441–444. &
- 2003. Influence of seasonal temperature on the repeat swimming performance of rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss. Journal of Experimental Biology 206: 3569–3579. &
- 1997. Use of a ramp velocity test to measure critical swimming speed in Rainbow trout (Onchorhynchus mykiss). Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology 117A: 441–444. , &
- 1998. Repeat swimming performance of mature sockeye salmon following a brief recovery period: a proposed measure of fish health and water quality. Canadian Journal of Zoology 76: 1488–1496. , &
- 2007. Movements and habitat use of common carp (Cyprinus carpio) and Murray cod (Maccullochella peelii peelii) juveniles in a large lowland Australian river. Ecology of Freshwater Fish 16: 210–220. &
- 1974. Evaluation of the swimming performance of several fish species from the Mackenzie River. Journal of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada 31: 1641–1647. , &
- 2009a. Multi-scale habitat selection by Murray cod Maccullochella peelii peelii in two lowland rivers. Journal of Fish Biology 75: 113–129.
- 2009b. Using radio telemetry to evaluate the depths inhabited by Murray cod (Maccullochella peelii peelii). Marine and Freshwater Research 60: 317–320.
- 2009. Movements of Murray cod (Maccullochella peelii peelii) in a large Australian lowland river. Ecology of Freshwater Fish 18: 594–602. , , , , &
- 2003a. Excess post-exercise oxygen consumption in adult sockeye (Oncorhynchus nerka) and coho (O.kisutch) salmon following critical speed swimming. Journal of Experimental Biology 206: 3253–3260. , , , &
- 2003b. The effect of temperature on swimming performance and oxygen consumption in adult sockeye (Oncorhynchus nerka) and coho (O. kisutch) salmon stocks. Journal of Experimental Biology 206: 3239–3251. , , , , &
- 2007. Fishes of the Murray-Darling basin: an introductory guide. Canberra: Murray-Darling Basin Commission.
- 1999. The effect of size on the fast-start performances of three species of native Australian fish. Honours Thesis. Wodonga: La Trobe University.
- 2008. Effects of temperature on the fast-start swimming performance of an Australian freshwater fish. Ecology of Freshwater Fish 17: 184–185. , &
- 2004. Fishes: an introduction to ichthyology. Upper Saddle River: Prentice Hall. 726 pp. &
- 2008. Temperature-related physiological adaptations promote ecological divergence in a sympatric species pair of temperate freshwater fish, Coregonus spp. Functional Ecology 22: 501–508. , , & .
- 2007. Effects of temperature, swimming speed and body mass on standard and active metabolic rate in vendace (Coregonus albula). Journal of Comparative Physiology B 177: 905–916. , &
- 2000. Thermal dependence of swimming endurance in juvenile brown trout Journal of Fish Biology 56: 1342–1347. & .
- 2001. Critical swimming speed: its ecological relevance. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology 131A: 41–50.
- 2003. Thermal rehabilitation of the southern Murray-Darling basin. Final Report to Agriculture, Forestry, Fisheries Australia MD 2001 Fish Rehab Program. Heidelberg: Arthur Rylah Institute for Environmental Research, Victorian Department of Natural Resources and Environment. , & .
- 1984. An automated swimming respirometer. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology 79A: 437–440. , &
- 1993. Fish swimming. London: Chapman and Hall. 260 pp. .
- 1975. Hydrodynamics and energetics of fish propulsion. Bulletin of Fisheries Research Board of Canada 190: 31–159.
- 1984a. Body form, locomotion and foraging in aquatic vertebrates. American Zoologist 24: 107–120.
- 1984b. Form and function in fish swimming. Scientific American 251: 58–68.
- 1986. Functional locomotor morphology of early life stages of fishes. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 115: 115–127. &
- 1973. Optimal fish cruising speed. Nature 245: 48–50.
- 2003. Navigation impacts on freshwater fish assemblages: the ecological relevance of swimming performance. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 13: 63–89. &
- 2009. Effect of temperature on swimming performance in juvenile southern catfish (Silurus meridionalis). Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology 153A: 125–130. , , , &