Help seeking by Aboriginal men who are mentally unwell: a pilot study
Article first published online: 24 JAN 2013
© 2013 Wiley Publishing Asia Pty Ltd
Early Intervention in Psychiatry
Volume 7, Issue 4, pages 407–413, November 2013
How to Cite
Isaacs, A. N., Maybery, D. and Gruis, H. (2013), Help seeking by Aboriginal men who are mentally unwell: a pilot study. Early Intervention in Psychiatry, 7: 407–413. doi: 10.1111/eip.12015
- Issue published online: 27 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 24 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 12 APR 2012
- 1Engagement of Indigenous clients in mental health services: what role do cultural differences play? AeJAMH [serial on the Internet]. 2004. [Cited 27 Dec 2012] Available from URL: http://www.gtp.com.au/ips/inewsfiles/P21.pdf.
- 2That's just the way he is: some implications of aboriginal mental health beliefs. AeJAMH 2004; 3: 1–10., .
- 3Indigenous men's health. Aborig Isl Health Work J 2000; 24:7–11..
- 4Indigenous health, Indigenous men: leadership and other bad medicine. Aborig Isl Health Work J 2003; 27: 10–13..
- 6Australian Health Ministers. National Mental Health Plan 2003–2008. Canberra, ACT: Australian Government, 2003.
- 12Aboriginal youth: mental health. In: Dudgeon P , Garvey D , Pickett H , eds. Working with Indigenous Australians: A Handbook for Psychologists. Perth: Gunada Press, Curtin University Research Centre, 2000; 91–102., , .
- 13Measurement of men's help seeking: development and evaluation of the barriers to help seeking scale. Psychol Men Masculin 2005; 6: 95–108., , .
- 16Indigenous Research Reform Agenda: rethinking research methodologies. Links monograph series 2 [serial on the Internet]. 2002. [Cited 27 Dec 2012.] Available from URL: http://www.lowitja.org.au/files/crcah_docs/IRRA2LinksMonograph.pdf, , et al.
- 17Decolonizing Methodologies, Research and Indigenous Peoples, 1st edn. London, New York, Dunedin: Zed Books, University of Otago Press, 1999..
- 18Making of a Great Relationship: a review of a healthy partnership between mainstream and Indigenous organisations. Melbourne: Victorian Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation, 2005., .
- 20National Health and Medical Research Council. Values and Ethics: guidelines for Ethical Conduct in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Research. Canberra: Commonwealth of Australia, 2003.
- 21‘What you do is important but how you do it is more important’: engaging Indigenous men in rural mental health services research. Qualitat Res J 2011; 11: 51–61., , , , , .
- 23What's in a name? Qualitative Description revisited. Res Nurs Health 2010; 33: 77–84..
- 25Dhinthun Wayawu – looking for a pathway to knowledge: towards a vision of Yolngu education in Milingimbi. Aust J Indigen Educ 2003; 32: 3–10., .
- 28Ways forward: National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Mental Health Policy, National Consultancy Report. Canberra: Commonwealth of Australia 1995., .
- 29Development of A Culturally Sensitive Program Delivering Cardiovascular Health Education to Indigenous Australians in South-West Towns of Western Australia with Lay Educators As Community Role Models. Perth: University of Western Australia, 2006..
- 30Social influence: social norms, conformity and compliance. In: Gilbert D , Fiske S , Lindzy G , eds. The Handbook of Social Psychology. Boston, MA: McGraw-Hill, 1999; 151–192., .
- 32Social and political aspects of men's health. Health 2002; 6: 267–285..
- 33Western Australia Office of Aboriginal Health. Statewide youth forum : summary report : reclaiming our future: June 10 and 11, 1999 Fremantle. [Perth, WA]: Office of Aboriginal Health, with assistance from Marketing and Communications, Public Health Division [Health Dept. of W.A.]; 1999.
- 35Working with Indigenous Australians: A Handbook for Psychologists. Perth: Gunada Press, Curtin Indigenous Research Centre, 2000., , .
- 39Men's Sheds – a catalyst for Indigenous men's health. Cairns: The 10th National Rural Health Conference; 2009. [cited 21 February 2011]; Available from URL: http://www.10thnrhc.ruralhealth.org.au/papers/docs/Sergeant_Peter_A1.pdf.
- 40NACCHO. Aboriginal Male Health – 2010: Position Paper. Canberra: National Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation. 2010.
- 41Making positive resources to engage aboriginal men/fathers. Aborig Isl Health Work J 2010; 34: 23–25..
- 42Men's health – a cultural perspective. Aborig Isl Health Work J 1998; 22: 7..
- 43The Making of the Aborigines. St. Leonards, NSW: Allen & Unwin, 1989..
- 44Substance misuse and mental health among aboriginal Australians. In: Purdie N , Dudgeon P , Walker R , eds. Working Together: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Mental Health and Wellbeing Principles and Practice. Canberra, ACT: Commonwealth of Australia, 2010; 117–134., , , , .