Conflicts of interest
Combining depot antipsychotic with an assertive monitoring programme for treating first-episode schizophrenia in a resource-constrained setting
Version of Record online: 1 APR 2014
© 2014 Wiley Publishing Asia Pty Ltd
Early Intervention in Psychiatry
Volume 10, Issue 1, pages 54–62, February 2016
How to Cite
Chiliza, B., Ojagbemi, A., Esan, O., Asmal, L., Oosthuizen, P., Kidd, M., Gureje, O. and Emsley, R. (2016), Combining depot antipsychotic with an assertive monitoring programme for treating first-episode schizophrenia in a resource-constrained setting. Early Intervention in Psychiatry, 10: 54–62. doi: 10.1111/eip.12141
Professor Piet Oosthuizen has received honoraria from Pfizer, Lundbeck, Astra-Zeneca and Cipla for speaking at educational meetings. Dr Bonginkosi Chiliza has received honoraria from Sandoz and Janssen for speaking at educational meetings. Professor Robin Emsley has received honoraria from AstraZeneca, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Janssen, Lilly, Lundbeck, Organon, Pfizer, Servier, Otsuka and Wyeth for participating in advisory boards and speaking at educational meetings, and has received research funding from Janssen, Lundbeck and AstraZeneca.
Lundbeck was not involved in any aspect of the conceptualization, design, conductance, analysis and reporting of the study.
- Issue online: 10 JAN 2016
- Version of Record online: 1 APR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Received: 4 SEP 2013
- Department of Science and Technology of South Africa
- Medical Research Council of South Africa
- Lundbeck International
- 1The Global Burden of Disease and Injury Series. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1996., .
- 9International Conference on Harmonization. ICH Harmonised Tripartite Guidelines for Good Clinical Practice. Surrey: Brookwood Medical Publications Ltd, 1996.
- 10American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th edn. Washington, D.C. 1994.
- 11Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-IV Axis I Disorders, Patient Edition (SCID-P), 2nd edn. New York: New York State Psychiatric Institute, Biometrics Research, 1994., , .
- 12The Positive and Negative Syndrome Scale (PANSS) for Schizophrenia, 13th edn. 1987: 261–267., ,
- 13ECDEU Assessment Manual for Psychopharmacology. ADM 76–338 ed. Rockville, Md: US Department of Health, Education and Welfare. 1976: 217–222..
- 14Assessing depression in schizophrenia: the Calgary Depression Scale, 163rd edn. 1993: S39–44., .
- 15The WHOQOL Group. Development of the World Health Organization WHOQOL-BREF quality of life assessment, 28th edn. 1998: 551–558.
- 17Manual for the extrapyramidal symptom rating scale (ESRS), 76th edn. 2005: 247–265., .
- 21Anthropological perspectives on injections: a review, 78th edn. 2000: 135–143..
- 47Patients' and clinicians' attitude towards long-acting depot antipsychotics in subjects with a first episode of psychosis, 3rd edn. 2013: 89–99., , .
- 49National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. Schizophrenia: Core interventions in the treatment and management of schizophrenia in primary and secondary care (update). National Collaborating Centre for Mental Health Commissioned by the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence., ed. Clinical Practice Guideline Number 82. ed 2009.