Disclaimer: In ascending order of closeness of affiliation, the author is a member of the Editorial Board of the Times Higher Education (i.e. the publication rather than the ranking), a member of the International Advisory Board of the Shanghai Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU), and one of the authors of the U21 ranking of higher education systems, which is not discussed here. He considers himself free to comment without fear or favour in relation to all rankings, a right supported by all three organisations named. This article contains criticisms of both ARWU and the Times Higher ranking.
Part I Article
University Rankings and Social Science†
Article first published online: 6 NOV 2013
© 2013 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
European Journal of Education
Special Issue: Global University Rankings. A Critical Assessment
Volume 49, Issue 1, pages 45–59, March 2014
How to Cite
Marginson, S. (2014), University Rankings and Social Science. European Journal of Education, 49: 45–59. doi: 10.1111/ejed.12061
[Corrections added on 7 March 2014, after first publication: The editorial office's corrections for this article were inadvertently omitted and have been incorporated in this version of the article.]
- Issue published online: 6 MAR 2014
- Article first published online: 6 NOV 2013
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!