An incubation study on the stability and biological effects of pyrogenic and hydrothermal biochar in two soils
Article first published online: 4 SEP 2013
© 2013 British Society of Soil Science
European Journal of Soil Science
Special Issue: Biochar in soils: new insights
Volume 65, Issue 1, pages 72–82, January 2014
How to Cite
Bamminger, C., Marschner, B. and Jüschke, E. (2014), An incubation study on the stability and biological effects of pyrogenic and hydrothermal biochar in two soils. European Journal of Soil Science, 65: 72–82. doi: 10.1111/ejss.12074
- Issue published online: 9 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 4 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 30 MAY 2013
- COST Action. Grant Number: TD1107
- 2005. Responses of extracellular enzymes to simple and complex nutrient inputs. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 37, 937–944. &
- 2012. Effects of polyacrylamide, biopolymer, and biochar on decomposition of soil organic matter and plant residues as determined by 14C and enzyme activities. European Journal of Soil Biology, 48, 1–10. , , &
- 2011. Reconciling apparent variability in effects of biochar amendment on soil enzyme activities by assay optimization. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 43, 296–301. , , &
- 2009. Biochar production technology. In: Biochar for Environmental Management: Science and Technology (eds J. Lehmann & S. Joseph), pp. 127–146. Earthscan Ltd, London.
- 2012. Decreased soil microbial biomass and nitrogen mineralisation with Eucalyptus biochar addition to a coarse textured soil. Plant and Soil, 354, 311–324. , , , &
- 2010. Impact of black carbon addition to soil on the determination of soil microbial biomass by fumigation extraction. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 42, 2026–2029. , &
- 2012. Synergisms between compost and biochar for sustainable soil amelioration. In: Management of Organic Waste (eds S. Kumar & A. Barthi), pp. 167–199. InTech, Rijeka. &
- 2010. Chemical and structural properties of carbonaceous products obtained by pyrolysis and hydrothermal carbonisation of corn stover. Australian Journal of Soil Research, 48, 618–626. , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Hydrothermal carbonization of biomass: a summary and discussion of chemical mechanisms for process engineering. Biofuels, Bioproducts and Biorefining, 4, 160–177. &
- 2001. The ‘Terra Preta’ phenomenon: a model for sustainable agriculture in the humid tropics. Naturwissenschaften, 88, 37–41. , , &
- 1995. Turnover of soil organic matter and storage of corn residue carbon estimated from natural 13C abundance. Canadian Journal of Soil Science, 75, 161–167. , &
- 1992. Problems related to the humification processes in soils to temperate climates. In: Soil Biochemistry, Volume 7 (eds G. Stotzky & J.-M. Bollag), pp. 55–94. Marcel Dekker, New York.
- 2005. Priming effects in soils after combined and repeated substrate additions. Geoderma, 128, 38–51. &
- 2004. Interactive priming of black carbon and glucose mineralisation. Organic Geochemistry, 35, 823–830. , , &
- 2009. Mineralisation and structural changes during the initial phase of microbial degradation of pyrogenic plant residues in soil. Organic Geochemistry, 40, 332–342. , , &
- 2007. Drying and wetting of Mediterranean soils stimulates decomposition and carbon dioxide emission: the “Birch effect”. Tree Physiology, 27, 929–940. , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Characterization of microbial life colonizing biochar and biochar-amended soils. PhD Dissertation, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY.
- 1996. The fumigation-extraction method to estimate soil microbial biomass: Calibration of the kEC value. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 28, 25–31.
- 2012. Biochar and hydrochar effects on greenhouse gas (carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide, and methane) fluxes from soils. Journal of Environmental Quality, 41, 1052–1066. , , &
- 2011. Soil organic N - An under-rated player for C sequestration in soils? Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 43, 1118–1129.
- 2009. Effect of charcoal quantity on microbial biomass and activity in temperate Soils. Soil Science Society of America Journal, 73, 1173. , &
- 2009. Black carbon decomposition and incorporation into soil microbial biomass estimated by 14C labeling. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 41, 210–219. , , , &
- 2011. Biochar effects on soil biota—A review. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 43, 1812–1836. , , , , &
- 2011. Hydrothermal carbonization of biomass residuals: a comparative review of the chemistry, processes and applications of wet and dry pyrolysis. Biofuels, 2, 71–106. , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Selected soil enzymes: examples of their potential roles in the ecosystem. African Journal of Biotechnology, 7, 181–191. &
- 2001. A microplate fluorimetric assay for the study of enzyme diversity in soils. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 33, 1633–1640. , &
- 1988. Apparatus for the continuous, long-term monitoring of soil respiration rate in large numbers of samples. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 20, 955–957.
- 2010. Material derived from hydrothermal carbonization: effects on plant growth and arbuscular mycorrhiza. Applied Soil Ecology, 45, 238–242. , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Long-term effects of compost amendment of soil on functional and structural diversity and microbial activity. Soil Use & Management, 22, 209–218. , , , &
- 2011. Agricultural and ecological significance of soil enzymes: soil carbon sequestration and nutrient cycling. In: Soil Enzymology. Soil Biology, Volume 22 (eds G. Shukla & A. Varma), pp. 43–60. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg.
- 2002. Charcoal carbon in U.S. agricultural soils. Soil Science Society of America Journal, 66, 1249–1255. , , &
- 2010. Review of the stability of biochar in soils: predictability of O:C molar ratios. Carbon Management, 1, 289–303.
- 2009. Effect of biochar amendment on soil carbon balance and soil microbial activity. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 41, 1301–1310. , &
- 2008. Nitrogen retention and plant uptake on a highly weathered central Amazonian Ferralsol amended with compost and charcoal. Journal of Plant Nutrition & Soil Science, 171, 893–899. , , , , &
- 2011. Temperature sensitivity of soil enzyme kinetics under N-fertilization in two temperate forests. Global Change Biology, 18, 1173–1184. , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Interactions among lignin, cellulose, and nitrogen drive litter chemistry–decay relationships. Ecology, 93, 345–354. &
- 2009. Characteristics of biochar: biological properties. In: Biochar for Environmental Management: Science and Technology (eds J. Lehmann & S. Joseph), pp. 85–105. Earthscan Ltd, London. &
- 1987. An extraction method for measuring soil microbial biomass C. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 19, 703–707. , &
- 2010. Biochar Application to Soils—A Critical Scientific Review of Effects on Soil Properties, Processes and Functions. Office for the Official Publications of the European Communities, Luxembourg. , , , &
- 2011. Positive and negative carbon mineralization priming effects among a variety of biochar-amended soils. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 43, 1169–1179. , &