The future for managing recreational fisheries in the Murray-Darling Basin
Article first published online: 22 APR 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Ecological Management & Restoration published by Ecological Society of Australia and Wiley Publishing Asia Pty Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Ecological Management & Restoration
Special Issue: The Native Fish Strategy: Bringing native fish back. Ecological Society of Australia and Wiley have published this supplement with financial support from the Murray-Darling Basin Authority, Department of Environment and Primary Industries (Vic) and NSW Department of Primary Industries (Fisheries)
Volume 15, Issue Supplement s1, pages 75–81, March 2014
How to Cite
Barwick, M. J., Koehn, J. D., Crook, D., Todd, C. R., Westaway, C. and Trueman, W. (2014), The future for managing recreational fisheries in the Murray-Darling Basin. Ecological Management & Restoration, 15: 75–81. doi: 10.1111/emr.12096
- Issue published online: 22 APR 2014
- Article first published online: 22 APR 2014
- Murray-Darling Basin Authority's Native Fish Strategy
- 2009) An assessment of recreational fishery harvest policies for Murray cod in southeast Australia. Fisheries Research 95, 260–267. , , , and (
- 2010) The conservation and fishery benefits of protecting large pike (Esox lucius L.) by harvest regulations in recreational fishing. Biological Conservation 143, 1444–1459. , and (
- 1995) Understanding large river: floodplain ecosystems. BioScience 45, 153–158. (
- 2008) The “fire stick farming” hypothesis: Australian Aboriginal foraging strategies, biodiversity, and anthropogenic fire mosaics. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences in the United States of America 103, 39. , , , and (
- 2004) More than just a good story: Lessons learnt from oral histories of Australian rivers. Proceedings of the 4th Australian Stream Management Conference, 19–22 October, pp. 108–113. Launceston, Tasmania. , and (
- 1993) Risk Assessment in Conservation Biology. Chapman and Hall, London. , and (
- 1977). J.O. Langtry's 1949-50 Murray River investigations. Fisheries and Wildlife paper, Victoria No.13, Fisheries and Wildlife Division, Victoria. (
- 2004) The role of recreational fishing in the global fish crisis. BioScience 54, 857–859. and (
- 2003) Fish Everywhere: An oral history of fish and their habitats in the Gwydir River. NSW Fisheries, Sydney. , and (
- 1994) Stocking strategies. Fisheries Management and Ecology 1, 15–30. (
- 2004) Rehabilitation of freshwater fisheries: tales of the unexpected. Fisheries Management and Ecology 11, 243–249. , and (
- 2010) Harmonizing recreational fisheries and conservation objectives for aquatic biodiversity in inland waters. Journal of Fish Biology 76, 2194–2215. , and (
- 2007) Production of external fluorescent marks on golden perch fingerlings through osmotic induction marking with alizarin red S. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 27, 670–675. , , , and (
- 2009) Development and evaluation of methods for osmotic induction marking of golden perch (Macquaria ambigua) with calcein and alizarin red S. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 29, 279–287. , , , , and (
- 2012a) Methods for discriminating hatchery fish and outcomes of stocking in the Murray-Darling Basin. Final Report, Murray-Darling Basin Authority, Native Fish Strategy Project MD741. Arthur Rylah Institute for Environmental Research Client Report to the Murray-Darling Basin Authority. Department of Sustainability and Environment, Heidelberg, Victoria. , , et al. (
- 2012b) Use of a portable fluorometer for non-lethal detection of calcein marks on live fish. In: Advances in Fish Tagging and Marking Technology (eds J. McKenzie, B. Parsons, A. C. Seitz, R. K. Kopf, M. Mesa and Q. Phelps), pp. 386–389. American Fisheries Society, Bethesda, Maryland. , , , and (
- 2008) SRA Report 1: A Report on the Ecological Health of Rivers in the Murray-Darling Basin, 2004–2007. Prepared by the Independent Sustainable Rivers Audit Group for the Murray-Darling Basin Ministerial Council. MDBC Publication No. 16/08 , , and (
- 2012) Sustainable Rivers Audit 2: The Ecological Health of Rivers in the Murray-Darling Basin at the End of the Millennium Drought (2008–2010). MDBA Publication No. 72/12 , , , and (
- Department of Primary Industries. (2010) Inland Waters Recreational Fishing Classification. Fisheries Victoria Management Report Series No. 80.
- Ernst & Young (2009) Economic Study of Recreational Fishing in Victoria Murray Cod Assessment. Ernst & Young, Melbourne.
- Ernst and Young. (2011) Economic Contribution of Recreational Fishing in the Murray-Darling Basin. Department of Primary Industries, Victoria.
- 2012) Talking Fish: Making Connections with the Rivers of the Murray-Darling Basin. Murray-Darling Basin Authority, Canberra. , , and (
- 2006) Impacts of Native Fish Stocking on Fish in the Murray-Darling Basin. Report for Murray-Darling Basin Commission, Canberra, ACT. , and (
- 1934) Old Days: Old Ways. A Book of Recollections, Angus and Robertson, Sydney. (
- Henry G. W. and Lyle J. M. (eds.) (2003) The National Recreational and Indigenous Fishing Survey. Australian Government Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry, Canberra.
- 1997) The Ecological Detective: Confronting Models with Data. Princeton University Press, Princeton. and (
- 2007) Historical Indigenous use of aquatic resources in Australia's Murray-Darling Basin, and its implications for river management. Ecological Management & Restoration 8(2), 106–113. (
- 1993) Evaluation of coded wire tags for marking fingerling golden perch, Macquaria ambigua, and silver Perch, Bidyanus bidyanus. Australian Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research. 44, 817–824. (
- 1995) Fisheries Biology: Assessment and Management. Fishing News Books, Oxford, London. (
- 2010) Adaptive management of an environmental watering event to enhance native fish spawning and recruitment. Freshwater Biology 55, 17–31. , , , , and (
- 2010) Conservation and utilisation: harnessing forces for better outcomes for native fishes. Ecological Management and Restoration 11, 86–87. (
- 2012) A strategy to rehabilitate fishes of the Murray-Darling Basin, south-eastern Australia. Endangered Species Research 16, 165–181. and (
- 2012) Balancing conservation and recreational fishery objectives for a threatened species, the Murray cod, Maccullochella peelii. Fisheries Management and Ecology 19, 410–425. and (
- 2013) Recovery of the endangered Trout cod Maccullochella macquariensis: what have we achieved in over 25 years? Marine and Freshwater Research 64, 822–837. , , et al. (
- 2014) Flows for Native Fish in the Murray-Darling Basin: Lessons and Considerations for Future Management. This Issue. , , , , and (
- 2008) Measuring transaction costs of fisheries co-management. Coastal Management 36, 225–240. , , , and (
- 2007) Fishes of the Murray-Darling Basin: An Introductory Guide. Murray-Darling Basin Commission, Canberra. (
- 2011) Identifying the Health and Well-Being Benefits of Recreational Fishing. FRDC Project Number: 2011/217. , , and (
- 2008) Enriched stable isotope marking of juvenile golden perch Macquaria ambigua otoliths. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 65, 276–285. , , , and (
- 2009) Transgenerational marking of freshwater fishes with enriched stable isotopes: a tool for fisheries management and research. Journal of Fish Biology 75, 668–684. doi:10.1111/j.1095-8649.2009.02352.x , , , and (
- Murray Cod Fishery Management Group. (2011) Murray Cod Action Plan. Department of Primary Industries Victoria, Victoria.
- Murray Cod Fishery Management Group. (2012) A Review of Literature Relevant to the Fishery Management Action Plan. Department of Primary Industries Victoria, Victoria.
- Murray-Darling Basin Commission. (2004) Native Fish Strategy for the Murray-Darling Basin 2003-2013. Murray-Darling Basin Commission, Canberra. [Accessed 20 September 2011.] Available from URL: http://publications.mdbc.gov.au/.
- National Murray Cod Recovery Team. (2010) National Recovery Plan for the Murray Cod Maccullochella peelii peelii. Department of Sustainability and Environment, Melbourne. [Accessed 20 September 2011.] Available from URL: http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/threatened/recovery-list-common.html.
- 2004) Trout Cod (Maccullochella macquariensis) in the Murray River, Southeast Australia. Prioritizing Rehabilitation Efforts. In: Species Conservation and Management: Case Studies. (eds H. R. Akcakaya, M. A. Burgman, O. Kindvall, C. C. Wood, P. Sjogren-Gulve, J. S. Hatfield and M. A. McCarthy) pp. 219–229. Oxford University Press, Madison, NY. and (
- 2004) Restoring structural woody habitat in the River Murray. In: Native Fish Habitat Rehabilitation and Management in the Murray-Darling Basin: Statement, Recommendations and Supporting Papers. Proceedings of a Workshop Held in Albury NSW, 10–11 February 2004. (eds M. Lintermans, P. Cottingham and O. R). pp. 50–62. Murray-Darling Basin Commission, and Cooperative Research Centre for Freshwater Ecology, Canberra. , , and (
- NSW Government (1880) Report of the Royal Commission, to Enquire into and Report Upon the Actual State and Prospect of the Fisheries of this Colony. Government Printer, Sydney.
- 1995) Functional organization of stream fish assemblages in relation to hydrological variability. Ecology 76, 606–628. and (
- 1996) Listening to the Lachlan. Book Sainty and Associates & Murray-Darling Commission, Canberra. and (
- 2000) Environmental narratives and the need for multiple perspectives to restore degraded landscapes in Australia. Ecosystem Health 6, 119–133. , , , and (
- 2011) Variable stocking effect and endemic population genetic structure in Murray Cod Maccullochella peelii. Journal of Fish Biology 79, 155–177. , , and (
- 1989) Aspects of the history and fishery of the Murray Cod, Maccullochella peeli (Mitchell) (Percichthyidae). Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales 111, 201–213. (
- 2005) Overview of the history, fishery, biology and aquaculture of Murray Cod (Maccullochella peelii peellii). In (eds M. Lintermans and B. Phillips) Management of Murray Cod in the Murray-Darling Basin: Statement, Recommendations and Supporting Papers. Proceedings of a Workshop Held in Canberra, ACT, 3-4 June 2004. Canberra: Murray-Darling Basin Commission and Cooperative Research Centre for Freshwater Ecology, pp. 38–61. [Accessed 20 September 2011.] Available from URL: http://publications.mdbc.gov.au/. (
- 2013) Hatchery Production for conservation and stock enhancement: the base of Australian freshwater fish. In: Advances in Aquaculture Hatchery Technology. (eds G. Allan and B. G). pp. 557–595. Woodhead Publishing Series in Food Science, Technology and Nutrition No. 242, Cambridge. (
- 1992) Evaluation of techniques for marking juvenile barramundi, Lates calcarifer (Bloch), for stocking. Aquaculture Research 23, 691–699. and (
- 2000) Design and operational management strategies for achieving fishery ecosystem objectives. ICES Journal of Marine Science 57, 731–741. , and (
- 1999) Implementing effective fisheries-management systems –management strategy evaluation and the Australian partnership approach. ICES Journal of Marine Science 56, 967–979. , and (
- 2011) Community Involvement in Recreational Fisheries Data Collection: Opportunities and Challenges, ABARES Technical report 11.5, Canberra, September. and (
- 2010) Murray Cod Management Model: Users Manual, Arthur Rylah Institute for Environmental Research, Victoria. Available from URL: http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/arthur-rylah-institute/publications/software. and (
- 2004) Density-dependence uncertainty in population models for the conservation management of Trout Cod, Maccullochella macquariensis. Ecological Modelling 171, 359–380. , and (
- 2011) Assessment of Priority Species in the MDB for the Potential Development of Population Models: Final Report for Project MD1179. Arthur Rylah Institute for Environmental Research Client Report to the Murray-Darling Basin Authority. Department of Sustainability and Environment: Heidelberg, Victoria. , , and (
- 2011) True Tales of the Trout Cod: River Histories of the Murray-Darling Basin. MDBA Publication No. 215/1 (
- 2012) Incorporation of magnesium into fish otoliths: determining contribution from water and diet. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 94, 12–21. , , and (
- 2007) Murray Cod Stock Status – the Lower River Murray, South Australia. Stock Status Report to PIRSA Fisheries. South Australian Research and Development Institute (Aquatic Sciences), Adelaide, 32 pp. SARDI Publication Number F2007-000211-1. and (