FULL-LENGTH ORIGINAL RESEARCH
Critical determinants of the epilepsy treatment gap: A cross-national analysis in resource-limited settings
Version of Record online: 25 OCT 2012
Wiley Periodicals, Inc. © 2012 International League Against Epilepsy
Volume 53, Issue 12, pages 2178–2185, December 2012
How to Cite
Meyer, A.-C. L., Dua, T., Boscardin, W. J., Escarce, J. J., Saxena, S. and Birbeck, G. L. (2012), Critical determinants of the epilepsy treatment gap: A cross-national analysis in resource-limited settings. Epilepsia, 53: 2178–2185. doi: 10.1111/epi.12002
- Issue online: 3 DEC 2012
- Version of Record online: 25 OCT 2012
- Accepted August 29, 2012; Early View publication October 25, 2012.
- 2006) Epilepsy and stigma. Lancet367:1143–1144. , , , . (
- 2004) Human resources and health outcomes: cross-country econometric study. Lancet364:1603–1609. , . (
- 2007) Health workers and vaccination coverage in developing countries: an econometric analysis. Lancet369:1277–1285. , . (
- 2005) Epilepsy-associated stigma in sub-saharan africa: the social landscape of a disease. Epilepsy Behav7:68–73. , . (
- on behalf of the ILAE Commission on Healthcare Policy. (2007) Cross-country measures for monitoring epilepsy care. Epilepsia48:990–1001. , , , , , , , , , ;
- 1993) Rural origin as a risk factor for maternal and child health in periurban bolivia. Soc Sci Med37:1345–1349. , , . (
- 2000) Seizures in rural zambia. Epilepsia41:277–281. . (
- 2007) The social and economic impact of epilepsy in zambia: a cross-sectional study. Lancet Neurol6:39–44. , , , , . (
- 1995) Child survival in big cities: the disadvantages of migrants. Soc Sci Med40:1371–1383. . (
- 2005) Cost-effectiveness of first-line antiepileptic drug treatments in the developing world: a population-level analysis. Epilepsia46:751–759. . (
- 2008) The global burden and stigma of epilepsy. Epilepsy Behav12:540–546. , , . (
- 2006) Premature mortality in people with epilepsy in rural china: a prospective study. Epilepsia5:823–827. , , , , , , , , , , , . (
- 2007) Urban-rural differentials in child malnutrition: trends and socioeconomic correlates in sub-saharan africa. Health Place13:205–223. . (
- Global Health Observatory Data Repository. World Health Organization. http://apps.who.int/minerva/minerva.jsp?theme=downloads&vid=2100# (accessed July 23, 2012).
- 1984) Socio-economic factors in infant and child mortality: a cross-national comparison. Popul Stud38:193–223. , , . (
- 2005) Epilepsy and social identity: the stigma of a chronic neurological disorder. Lancet Neurol4:171–178. , , . (
- 1992) Prognosis of epilepsy in a rural african community: a 30 year follow-up of 164 patients in an outpatient clinic in rural tanzania. Epilepsia33:645–650. , . (
- 2002) Global campaign against epilepsy: the treatment gap. Epilepsia43(Suppl. 6):31–33. . (
- 2002) The global burden of epilepsy. Epilepsia43:21–25. , . (
- 2007) Demonstration project on epilepsy in brazil: outcome assessment. Arq Neuropsiquiatr65:58–62. , , , , , , , , , , , , , . (
- 2003) Perspectives from a developing nation with special reference to rural areas. Epilepsia44:55–57. , . (
- 2010) Global disparities in the epilepsy treatment gap: a systematic review. Bull World Health Organ88:260–266. , , , , . (
- 2007) Prevalence and pattern of epilepsy treatment in different socioeconomic classes in Brazil. Epilepsia48:880–885. , , , , , , , , , , , . (
- 1997) What explains rural-urban differentials in child mortality in Brazil?Soc Sci Med44:989–1002. . (
- 2000) Urban-rural mortality differentials: controlling for material deprivation. Soc Sci Med51:289–305. , , . (
- The Global Campaign against Epilepsy, World Health Organization, International Bureau for Epilepsy, International League Against Epilepsy. (2005) Atlas: epilepsy care in the world. The Global Campaign against Epilepsy, World Health Organization, International Bureau for Epilepsy, International League Against Epilepsy, Geneva. pp. 1–96.
- The World Bank. (2006) World development indicators. International Bank for reconstruction and development. The World Bank, Washington, D.C., U.S.A.
- The World Bank Group. PovcalNet Poverty Measures. http://iresearch.worldbank.org/PovcalNet/povcalNet.html (accessed July 23, 2012).
- The World Bank Group. Quick Query of Selected World Development Indicators. http://databank.worldbank.org/ddp/home.do (accessed July 23, 2012).
- 2006) Efficacy assessment of phenobarbital in epilepsy: a large community-based intervention trial in rural china. Lancet Neurol5:46–52. , , , , , , , , , , , . (
- World Health Organization, World Federation of Neurology. (2004) Atlas: country resources for neurologic disorders. World Health Organization, World Federation of Neurology, Geneva, pp. 1–62.